PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good dinner for protein and not a ton of calories

Mic Soloist
03-11-2003, 06:39 PM
1 toasted chicken breast sandwich(Just bread, chicken, and Mustard)

1/2 Turkey Breast Sandwich(1 slice cheese, mustard, Bread)

Baked Potato(just pepper and promise)

1 Piece of Cornbread

That was what I ate tonight after a cardio/abs day

Was that good??????

PowerManDL
03-11-2003, 07:10 PM
You need to eat more.

Mic Soloist
03-11-2003, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by PowerManDL
You need to eat more.

I'm full as hell

Thats a lot of food dog, I only wiegh 155. My stomach can't take much more than 2 big sandwiches, a potato, and some cornbread.

-peace-

Ironman8
03-11-2003, 08:10 PM
I'm only 145Ibs. and I could eat more than that (and I mean more) :eek:

Mic Soloist
03-11-2003, 09:01 PM
I don't want to get stuffed and plus I'm not bulking right now. I'm not really cutting but I don't want to gain any fat. I am at around 13-14 percent BF and I want to be at around 8-10.... so I don't need a ton of calories. I was more concerned with protein.

GIS
03-11-2003, 09:33 PM
Bulk or cut... choose one.

If you want to go down in BF that indicated a cut. But you also ask if you're eating enough so I'm confused as to what you want.

You're wasting your time if you're not pursuing either a bulk or a cut so decide what your goals are and adjust accordingly.

Mic Soloist
03-11-2003, 09:39 PM
I mean I'm watching what I eat and working out. I'm still trying to consume a ton of protein and ****.

Is it not possible to just have a good diet and work out???

U act like every person whos swole is on a specific diet of bulking or cutting.

MrWebb78
03-11-2003, 09:48 PM
uhm mic, first off ya shouldnt ask peoples advice and then tell them theyre wrong, thats just courtesy and wbb etiquette

second, actually yes, everybody who is "swole" either has bulked and cut, and is now maintaining, or they are choosing one specific diet regimen

3rd, if you are only 154 lbs, why are you cutting to lose another 15 lbs to get down to 8%???

if you eat alot of clean calories you can add mass with minimal fat gain. however there is nothing wrong with adding a ton of mass along with extra fat, it all comes off in the end.

if you are trying to cut down on fat now, then youre eating the wrong calories in my opinion, that dinner was over 140 grms of carbs and only about 30 grms protein

gopher
03-12-2003, 12:09 AM
Potato, bread from 2 samiches, and corn bread..... that's a whole lotta carbs. Personally if I were "watching what I ate" I would have had the potato and the chicken and turkey without the bread.

GIS
03-12-2003, 12:40 AM
You have to decide what you want to accomplish, as in set a goal/purpose for training.

From your response to what I said, it sounds like you just want to maintain while going to the gym to recreationally workout. That's fine, and it's called maintenance.

However, this is a bodybuilding site so we talk in bulk/cut terms. You asked "was that good?" First off, your asking for advice without specifying what you wish to accomplish. You did mention you don't want to bulk but you don't want to cut, so I take it your just trying to maintain... but that is usually done once somebody has bulked or cut so you can see why we're confused.

When I say you're wasting your time, I mean why bother going for a bunch of protein if you're not out to put on weight or cut? You could get away with a three meal/day plan eating the FDA recommendation of 2,000 calories in those meals and save the money by not buying high protein foods (high protein always seems to = high cost.)

bradley
03-12-2003, 02:54 AM
Originally posted by gopher
Potato, bread from 2 samiches, and corn bread..... that's a whole lotta carbs. Personally if I were "watching what I ate" I would have had the potato and the chicken and turkey without the bread.

I agree with gopher. Eat the meat off of the sandwiches and keep the baked potato and maybe throw in some olive oil to get some fat in with the meal.

Mic Soloist
03-12-2003, 10:27 AM
I wasn't tryin to be a smartass fellas

Really I am trying to bulk but I am not eating tons of food because I really don't want any extra fat for the summer. I want to get big eventually but my main goal is to be cut.

In the last two months of working out every day I have noticed lots of improvement and some growth without really eating a ****load of food. I eat enough to be full and I eat something small every few hours to avoid a slow metabalism, but if I take in all the calories that some have suggested I will have a layer of fat covering up the abs I'm working hard to cut up. Sorry but when I hit the beach I don't want flab at all, even if that means my gains will be slower.

With that said I do want to grow. I know the reason I'm showing growth now is because I'm a beginner, and that it will slow down soon.

However I will deal with that when I stop noticing any gains, but in two months I've added almost an inch on my chest, and it looks much more cut. I have developed my abs to where I can see them a little. And my arms have shown some gain as well.

My question about that meal was only to ask if it was a good, lean, meal but according to the above, I must of had to many carbs. But considering how much cardio I did yesterday I think I was fine.

Thanks for the advice though

-peace-

aka23
03-12-2003, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Mic Soloist
1 toasted chicken breast sandwich(Just bread, chicken, and Mustard)
1/2 Turkey Breast Sandwich(1 slice cheese, mustard, Bread)
Baked Potato(just pepper and promise)
1 Piece of Cornbread

That was what I ate tonight after a cardio/abs day

Was that good??????

I am assuming that each sandwich was about 330 calories, the potato was average size, and the cornbread piece was about 2/3 cup. With these assumptions, this diet only has about 1000 calories. It probably has a macronutrient breakdown like 45-55% Carb / 25-30% Protein / 20-25% Fat.

I think some of the people who replied may have thought this was the entire days calories, instead of just dinner. Personally, I think a 1000 calorie dinner is too much for a guy your size. I would suggest breaking this up into 4-6 smaller meals per day.

If you are trying to do a lean bulk, then you may want to eat enough such that you are only gaining a small amount of weight per week. Your body is unlikely to gain more than 1lb of muscle per week, so if you eat such that you gain 1lb per week your calories probably will not limit your gains, but you will also be gaining fat. If you eat enough calories such that you gain 1/2lb per week or keep your weight stable; then you will likely gain less muscle, but you should gain less fat. You may even lose fat while gaining muscle. The best amount depends on your goals.

Other than the excess calories, I think it was not a bad meal. I think the macronutrient percentages were good. You might want to check the ingredients on the cornbread. Sometypes contain a good amount of added fats, sugar, etc. It would probably be helpful to have a lower GI source of carbs than the potato. You might want to substitue it for some type of fruits/vegetables/legume. I would also suggest making sure the sandwich bread is whole grain and limiting the mustard.

PowerManDL
03-12-2003, 11:48 AM
Naw, I thought it was a meal.

And he needs to eat more.

aka23
03-12-2003, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by PowerManDL
Naw, I thought it was a meal.

And he needs to eat more.

If he ate 4-6 meals of this size, that would be 4000-6000 calories per day. I think that is probably too much for a 154lb man.

bradley
03-12-2003, 02:16 PM
I would have just broken the meal into smaller meals as suggested. The overall content of the meal was not bad IMO.

Mic Soloist
03-12-2003, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by aka23

If you are trying to do a lean bulk, then you may want to eat enough such that you are only gaining a small amount of weight per week. Your body is unlikely to gain more than 1lb of muscle per week, so if you eat such that you gain 1lb per week your calories probably will not limit your gains, but you will also be gaining fat. If you eat enough calories such that you gain 1/2lb per week or keep your weight stable; then you will likely gain less muscle, but you should gain less fat

Exactly, thats what I'm trying to do.

Like I said, I want to grow but my main goal at this time is to get cut and stay lean. I know I will grow if I keep lifting and increasing my lifts each week. It may be slow growth, but I can always increase the bulk if it gets to slow for me. I just don't need extra fat for the summer..... gotta keep the ladies happy too:)

Mic Soloist
03-12-2003, 04:19 PM
what does mustard have in it thats bad?

I thought it was free of almost everything

aka23
03-12-2003, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Mic Soloist
what does mustard have in it thats bad?

I thought it was free of almost everything

I was probably overly cautious. You are correct that mustard has few calories and nutrients (except possibly salt). A sandwich is likely to have under 10 calories worth of mustard.

PowerManDL
03-12-2003, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by aka23

If he ate 4-6 meals of this size, that would be 4000-6000 calories per day. I think that is probably too much for a 154lb man.

No its not.

aka23
03-12-2003, 08:12 PM
When estimating caloric needs many experts suggest a rough estimate of

14 calories per lb for a sendentary man
17 calories per lb for a moderately active man
20 calories per lb for some very active athletes

Using this guide, a 154 lb man would need between 2100 and 3100 calories per day. Even if we add on an extra 500 calories per day for building 1lb muscle per week, this only amounts to 2600 to 3600 calories per lb.

Bodybuilding guides give similar recommendations. In the article at http://www.thinkmuscle.com/articles/mcdonald/baseline-diet-01.htm , Lyle Mcdonald says

"In practice, a caloric level of 16-18 calories per pound is suggested as a starting place for mass gains. I've known individuals who had to consume 25 cal/lb. to gain weight/mass."

16-18 calories per lb works out to about 2600 calories for a 154 man. 25 calories per lb is 3850 calories per lb.

I am not an advocate of these types of formulas because they do not work well for a significant portion of the population. However, they do show that 4000-6000 is too much for the nearly all 154 lb men. Furthermore Mic Soloist indicated that he wants to "stay lean". Eating 4000-6000 calories is not going to help a 154 guy stay lean.

PowerManDL
03-12-2003, 08:15 PM
Yes, of course.

What was I thinking.

GIS
03-12-2003, 10:00 PM
It's difficult to do a 'lean bulk', and in once you reach a certain point in your training, you will find it impossible to still add LBM without doing a real bulk. Most beginners are able to put on muscle with minimal diet consideration (lean bulk), but you can only expect around a 10 pound gain before hitting a brick wall. Once this happens, its up the calories and do a real bulk unless you have a rediculously effecient metabolism.

Here's my reccomondation:
Take how many calories you want in a day an divide it by 5 or 6, then take the resulting number and eat that many calories per meal. Do the same with protein. Then you can structure your diet rather than playing with eat and then see if you met your goals.

Also, you'd be surprised how many calories it takes to add fat. I've bulked like crazy lately and added 30 pounds in 3 months with minimal body fat increases (check my progress pics in members pic section). That was with 4,000 calories a day, and there was no way I was going to be able to do that with a 'clean bulk'. At 5'11" ~155lbs you must have a quick metabolism so it will take a TON of calories to get fat. Take advantage of your metabolism now, add some great LBM, and sacrifice a few BF%.

It's difficult to break out of the mentality that more calories get you fat. I suggest doing a serious bulk for the next month, in which time I expect you'll find that you wont get too terribly fat. If you do feel like you're getting fat, drop back down if summer is a major concern.

Manveet
03-12-2003, 10:35 PM
I agree with GIS. Eat like crazy, you will adapt and your body will be able to consume rediculous amounts of food. I wouldn't worry too much about gaining fat. Eat clean foods, you'll be fine.

Mic Soloist
03-12-2003, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by GIS
At 5'11" ~155lbs you must have a quick metabolism

no thats the problem. I am this size and weight because I watch what I eat and exercise so much.

If I barely change my deit I always put on weight.

My metabolism sucks to be honest.

GIS
03-13-2003, 01:23 AM
When you eat more and put on weight, is it very noticeable or do you measure it by scale.

At 5'11", 155 pounds, 13.5" arms, and a 32" waist, I highly doubt you get 'fat.' Keep in mind I'm not trying to offend you whatsoever... I'm trying to help you out.

Like I said, I was 5'11" 155 coming into college. Probably damn near the same dimensions you are right now. Anyway, I was afraid of eating to much and felt I got 'fat' when I tried to eat more and proceeded to eat a high protein, low calorie diet EXACTLY like you are. Seriously, your mentality and approach to training is exactly the same, not to mention your size and age.

I was able to get up to ~160-165 eating this way... then stopped growing for damn near a year. I couldn't figure out why I wasn't gaining any muscle because I thought I was eating enough, and put the blame on me being a 'hardgainer.' WRONG. I was eating like 2,000 calories a day when I finally sat down to count them. Then last year I started eating ~2,500 calories a day and got up to 172.... but stopped. I had put on a little fat and was frusterated with that. After a stressful point in my life that caused me to drop all the way down to 161 at my lowest last summer, I decided enough was enough and found WBB. From there I read up on eating enough and how to train, and since July I have gone from 161 at my very lowest to 200 now after cranking my calories in excess of 3,800-4,000/day. My bodyfat has increased several percentage points, but if you check out my pics I'm still leaner than most people. Hell, today I had two lesbians (they were a couple) rubbing me, winking, and saying that we should all 'hang out' together. My bodyfat must not be that bad! :eek:

That's my story, but the moral of it is to ignore what your concience is saying that you're getting fat. Granted the weight you're at might be because you work hard to keep it down, but eating very clean calories with pleanty of protein might do wonders for you. It's amazing to write out what you ate and exactly the calorie count because it's almost always much lower than you think it is when trying to eat clean. Training is a whole different story, but damn near just as important.

Mic Soloist
03-13-2003, 02:06 AM
Thanks a lot for taking the time to explain all of that. It really does make me want to change up a little.

So u suggest that I up my calories to what???

Also should I hold up on carbs if I want to stay lean??

With my size what would u suggest.

BTW my arms are almost at 14 now, so I've had some gain. I think in the last two months I've made a lot of improvement.

But I know I need to grow more.

-peace-

bradley
03-13-2003, 03:16 AM
Just keep increasing your cals until you are gaining. Try increasing is small increments each week (300-500) until you are gaining approx. a pound a week. When weight gain slows or stops up the cals some more. Continue doing this until you feel you have gained enough wait or feel it is time to cut. Get 1g per lb. of bw in protein, don't skimp out on healthy fats, and eat plenty of carbs and you will grow.

Shankerr
03-14-2003, 09:05 PM
Thats fine for one meal. For cutting, unacceptable because thats too many carbs to late at night (since it's dinner and all). For bulking, its just fine. Eat 7-10 of that size meal a day and you'll be fine. Also, no matter how tall you are, you should be bulking at 155lbs. :D Gun for at least 4000kCal a day, and about 300+ g of protein a day at your weight.

Shankerr
03-14-2003, 09:09 PM
Quite honetly, and this is just my opinion, but unless you are using drugs, you shouldnt be adding a pound a week, because you're going to turn into a fat bastard really quick! Like 1/2lb a week at very most naturally bulking. There really is no point in overdoing your weight gain just to put numbers on the scale.

I like the idea Bradley had though to watch your caloric intake vs. weight and adjust accordingly.

bradley
03-15-2003, 04:54 AM
Quite honetly, and this is just my opinion, but unless you are using drugs, you shouldnt be adding a pound a week, because you're going to turn into a fat bastard really quick! Like 1/2lb a week at very most naturally bulking. There really is no point in overdoing your weight gain just to put numbers on the scale.

IMO a 1/2-1 lb. per week is ideal. I think it is possible to gain 1lb. per week and not accumulate too much fat. I usually just adjust increase the cals until the scale says I am going up and if I see that I am gaining fat too quickly I just decrease the cals a bit. Really it is just a trial and error process and each individual will respond differently. The ideal way to go about would be too get your bf tested every few weeks and then you would know for sure the amount of muscle and fat you are gaining. The mirror works pretty well though:) The last statement you made is very true Shankker.

bradley
03-15-2003, 04:55 AM

IMO a 1/2-1 lb. per week is ideal. I think it is possible to gain 1lb. per week and not accumulate too much fat. I usually just adjust increase the cals until the scale says I am going up and if I see that I am gaining fat too quickly I just decrease the cals a bit. Really it is just a trial and error process and each individual will respond differently. The ideal way to go about would be too get your bf tested every few weeks and then you would know for sure the amount of muscle and fat you are gaining. The mirror works pretty well though:) The last sentence of the above statement is very true Shankker.

Shankerr
03-15-2003, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by bradley
The ideal way to go about would be too get your bf tested every few weeks and then you would know for sure the amount of muscle and fat you are gaining. The mirror works pretty well though:) The last statement you made is very true Shankker.

:thumbup: Honestly, I don't really go by what the scale says anymore, I base things more on BF%, and even more importantly what the mirror tells me! If I look at myself in a mirror for a few minutes and give a good critique, I can usually make a better assessment of how I should be adjusting my diet than by going with a scale anyday!

Shankerr
03-15-2003, 10:16 AM
Also, i should add that alot of guys I know really really overdo the fat gain when they bulk. They go from semi-ripped to fat bastard in a matter of a month and a half. The funny part is that they get all psyched because they get over 200lbs or whatever (hehe, yeah alot fo the guys I know are smaller) but then when they cut and go back to semi-ripped, they're rightback at 180lbs. Anyone can eat a tonne and put up big numbers, but its the numbers you are able to put up post-cut that counts. Concentrate on gaining leanpounds, not just pounds.

bradley
03-15-2003, 01:45 PM
Anyone can eat a tonne and put up big numbers, but its the numbers you are able to put up post-cut that counts. Concentrate on gaining leanpounds, not just pounds.

:nod: