PDA

View Full Version : Question about HIIT

eric1214
03-11-2003, 08:25 PM
i have read the HIIT thread and am still about confused.
me = newbie:help:

so if i am using a treadmill for it, 6/9 intervals wouldnt be very ideal. would 30/45 be ok? i know it would not be as good as 6/9 but im wondering if it would still provide some of the benifits that 6/9 would provide. also, so i would run 30 seconds at max speed, then for 45 seconds not run at all? or would i be just jogging for 45 seconds? also, what is this about not eating for a whole hour after running? i thought eating some prot/carb immediately after working out is a good thing. if i do have to wait an hour to eat, should i maybe drink a protein shake with some dextrose?

thanks a bunch for any help and clarification:D

PowerManDL
03-11-2003, 08:44 PM
Ask yourself a question.

Can you run at your max speed for 30 seconds?

The thing I've been trying to instill in everyone is that a set interval isn't what is important, so much as the exertion level.

Its better to only get 10 seconds of maximal intensity than 30 seconds of half-ass.

Basically? Don't worry about the exact time so much. Push yourself to the limit, and when you absolutely can't do it any more, rest. Then repeat.

For the rest interval, you can jog, or you can stop. Doesn't really matter.

Are you trying to lose fat? If so, avoiding food for 60 minutes may be a good idea; but again, I don't really think its critical. If you want to eat, eat. If you're just doing it for performance, it doesn't matter if you eat a three-course meal afterwards.

_-_v_-_
03-11-2003, 09:05 PM
DL,

Considering that HIIT is primarily glycogen fueled, like weight training, wouldn't it be prudent to treat post-HIIT nutrition as you would treat post-weight training nutrition?

PowerManDL
03-11-2003, 09:07 PM
In a word, yes.

However, I think there *could* be some merit in avoiding food for those who are in "serious" fat loss mode.

I'd just eat though.

Tank23
03-12-2003, 01:54 AM
I just discovered the best way to do HIIT!
I used to do my HIIT with 10 second sprints, followed by 40-50 seconds moderate jogging. Using this method I could barely catch my breath. Today I did 10 second sprints, followed by 40 seconds of slow slow jogging, this allowed me to catch my breath and go harder on the following sprints.

I actually enjoyed doing the sprints like this. Is HIIT just as effective for fat loss with slow jogging in between sprints, rather than moderate jogging?

Powerman: not eating for 1 hour after HIIT would lead to muscle catabolism? It may lead to greater fat loss....at the cost of muscle though? Right?

PowerManDL
03-12-2003, 11:01 AM
I don't know if it would necessarily be catabolic; it does deplete glycogen levels, but it also doesn't tear up the muscle fibers the way weights do.

eric1214
03-12-2003, 02:25 PM
would running at 10 mph for 30 seconds then jogging at 3 or 4 mph for 45 seconds be better for fat loss then lets say running 6 mph flat?

PowerManDL
03-12-2003, 03:01 PM
I'd think so.

Ironman8
03-12-2003, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by eric1214
would running at 10 mph for 30 seconds then jogging at 3 or 4 mph for 45 seconds be better for fat loss then lets say running 6 mph flat?

Sounds good.

AJ_11
03-12-2003, 09:15 PM
it's funny cause i have never seen any one else perform HIIT cardio at my gym. I get looked at funny when I do it. There are a few people that do cardio at harder intensities but never max.

I even get looked at my personal trainers. LOL, show how much they know.