PDA

View Full Version : Another HIIT question

Smee
03-12-2003, 05:04 AM
Hi all,

I've read the sticky, but am not sure I fully understand the technicalities behind HIIT.

I'm trying to figure out whether I would get the best results with longer rest periods to get the number of work periods up or resting less but doing less work periods.

I've tried doing 8 - 10 seconds work with 45 seconds rest, but after 3 - 4 I'm flat on my back trying to keep my last meal down.

Should I be:

1 - Resting more in between?
2 - Reducing the intensity of the work to get the desired reps?
3 - Keeping at it until my fitness levels improve?

I'm guessing that I should possibly reduce the intensity of my work periods to get the desired rep range, or am way of track with this ?

Thanks,

Justin

Erbas
03-12-2003, 08:29 AM
start with short sprint interals and longer rest periods until you get adjusted to it. Eventually, your sprint interval will lengthen, rest interval will shorten, and reps will increase. You have to adjust these as you progress. Just as in weight lifting, you alway try to progress in sme form each time you workout.

Smee
03-12-2003, 08:45 AM
Thanks for that.

With weight training it's easy, if the reps go up the weight must go up till the reps come down.

I didn't think of how that applies to HIIT.

Unless anybody suggest different my strategy will be to keep the work periods the same length at maximum intesinty, but increase the rest period until I can eventually get a full 10 reps. Then I'll start decreasing the rest period to keep up the progress.

Thanks for the help.

Ironman8
03-12-2003, 06:13 PM
That sounds pretty good.

Smee
03-13-2003, 09:42 AM
Thanks guys ! I'll try it in the morning.