PDA

View Full Version : Cardio vs. Weight Lifting

blustring
03-12-2003, 07:04 AM
Hello All,
Quick question for you folks. I've been doing some reading, and there are many different views on this subject. My overall goal is to get in better shape. To me that is a combination of losing about 35-40 lbs, and getting larger more defined muscles. As of now all I've been doing is WWB routine #1. I'm happy with my gains in the gym. I'm increasing weight every week on most of my exercises, which means I'm getting bigger muscles, but I'm not losing much weight. My question is, should I include some cardio in my workout? WBB #1 doesn't call for any, but I'm wondering if it will help me burn fat and lose weight. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
-blu

runt
03-12-2003, 07:14 AM
What does your diet look like? When trying to lose fat diet is far more important then cardio.

blustring
03-12-2003, 07:33 AM
My diet consists of between 2200 and 2500 cals/day. My macro breakdown is 40/35/25 (P/C/F). I eat 5-6 meals per day. My current weight is 235.

-blu

Ironman8
03-12-2003, 07:41 AM
Wow, is that 235 Ibs. of muscle or fat?

Paul Stagg
03-12-2003, 07:44 AM
Based on your goal, doing a little cardio wouldn't hurt.

I would do 3 days a week or so. Interval training is good.

blustring
03-12-2003, 07:49 AM
I little of both Ironman8, but I'm working on it. Still way too much fat, but more muscle that 2 months ago!

-blu

blustring
03-12-2003, 07:59 AM
Paul,
I've never done interval training before. I've done a little research on it. If I'm reading correctly it's 10 seconds of sprinting followed by 40-50 seconds of jogging. Assuming that this 50-60 second interval is one rep, how many total reps should I start out with?

thanks,
-blu

Paul Stagg
03-12-2003, 08:08 AM
As many as you can do without keeling over?

I'd start with maybe 10 and work up.

blustring
03-12-2003, 08:20 AM
Cool, I might give that a go this weekend. I'm sure I'll hate it, but if it will help me reach my goals, I'll work on it. Thanks guys,
-blu

geoffgarcia
03-20-2003, 12:16 AM
better shape is a vague term...I assume you mean you want to lose weight and gain muscle?

Weight training (non-interval) is anaerobic so your not getting your heart racing and really getting into calorie burning mode.

Cardio-is aerobic and burns calories.

The bigger your muscles are, the more calories you'll burn while you do cardio

I'd recommend boosting the WBB #1 exercises to 10 reps each instead of 6-8 and adding more 2-5 more sets of volume

I'd recommend 2-3 days of the week doing high intensity cardio for 45 minutes to an hour.

(this is all a guess, but it seems to make sense in my head)

PaulB
03-20-2003, 12:43 AM
ive had good sucess with a dropping my cal intake by around 500-750 a day. i take stacker's about an hour or so before my workouts, which give me the extra oomph i need to overtrain. meals consist largley of meats and milk with low saturated fat. during this cut im on, cut is loosely defined in my book since its taking fookin ever, i down creatine to help keep some muscle mass. lots of rest and healthy eating helps me recooperate faster than most i think, so its not overtraining to me. i think you should read some articles on cutting and maybe a book or two on lifting/cutting (get the basic concepts down) and base your routine/cardio off what you think would be best for you. theres only one you and more than likely you know what will work best, rather than some routine that worked for john doe. also think that wbb1 is not the best choice to start off with. doing deadlifts on 2 diff splits puts too much strain on the body i think and it leads to overtraining the shoulders/back. know you guys wont like that but its just my opinion

WestyHeadbanger
03-20-2003, 01:05 AM
Umm just to interject. I am quite sure immense amounts of calories are burned whilst weightlifting.

If anyone has any evidence to the contrary I am not willing to read it as it was probably written by "Bob".

Courtney
03-20-2003, 01:09 AM
I really am not an expert at all, but thought I'd chime in with my two cents.

I used to be a cardio bunny at the gym and results were slow, even when dieting. Weight training and watching my diet has proven to have much quicker and visible results. I do 30 minutes of cardio at the end of my workout to burn a few extra calories and because I find it keeps my ass in better shape (maybe I am imagining it? :) ). A male friend of mine turned me onto free weights and it has done fat-melting magic that years of cardio never accomplished.

IceRgrrl
03-20-2003, 05:51 AM
Getting better shape is a great goal! To get there, the combination of strength training, aerobic activity, and good nutrition is golden. Take any one of them alone and you'll improve a little, but all three together pack a huge punch.

WBB #1 is a great strength training routine. Add in maybe 3 days of cardio and a good diet and you'll be well on your way.

As far as interval training goes, there are many, many ways to do your intervals. I'm not sure where you're starting at in terms of conditioning and activity, but 10 second all-out sprints may be tough on you if you're not already in pretty good shape...you don't want to pull a muscle or hammer your joints. If you haven't been running much, start with maybe one day of just general running, building up to 30 min. or so of continuous running at a comfortable pace to build up your aerobic conditioning and to gradually get your body used to the impact/stress of running.

Maybe one day a week do some light intervals...stretch it out and run fast for 15-30 seconds, then slow down and catch your breath, and then repeat. Eventually you can increase the fast parts to a dead sprint. This will challenge your anaerobic system and get your body used to working harder. Vary the length and intensity of the fast portions to mix things up, challenge your body, and keep yourself amused :) With cardio, you have to pick something you like or at least can live with...if you hate a particular activity, then you're not going to stick with it.

Then the third day of the week try some other cardio like biking or the elliptical machine or something that uses some different muscles and gives you a break from the impact. Speaking of impact, if you're going to run, get good quality shoes specifically made for running...crosstrainers and other sport shoes don't have the cushion that will protect your feet, ankles, knees, etc. If you go to a running store, they can recommend a shoe for your size and biomechanics.

Good luck :)