PDA

View Full Version : Help ! Sugar Alcohols

Prelude
03-12-2003, 01:30 PM
I'm currently on a CKD and I sometimes have chocolate cravings. I found a Low Carb Protein bar that has 18 g of carbs but it claims that 17 g is sugar alcohols that shoudn't be counted as carbs because they have minimal effect. So, if you subtract the sugar alcohols, the bar only has a total carb content of 1 g. Is this true or just BS to sell their bars? I know that dietary fiber doesn't count but not sure about sugar alcohols. I want to hear your opinions. Thanks

raniali
03-12-2003, 01:32 PM
bs - it may not affect ur blood insulin levels but it is still a carb

do a search on as this has been brought up a few times and there has been good discussion on it

Raj
03-13-2003, 06:59 AM
that's a bit too much for CKD. I'm pretty sure I read a thread abt this where Mr. X of elite fitness said that it should not exceed 6 gms. when you are on CKD. The discussion was abt chewing gum and he said nothing more than three sticks(each 2 gms sugar alcohols)

Raj

Prelude
03-13-2003, 07:46 AM
that's a bit too much for CKD. I'm pretty sure I read a thread abt this where Mr. X of elite fitness said that it should not exceed 6 gms. when you are on CKD. The discussion was abt chewing gum and he said nothing more than three sticks(each 2 gms sugar alcohols

Yeah, that's a bit much. I was under the impression that you don't count sugar alcohols 'coz the label says non-impact carbs and the only impact carbs is 1 gram. Damn tricky Supp companies!