PDA

View Full Version : Overwhelming Urge for carbs!

Bryan
03-12-2003, 08:20 PM
I had a really bad craving for carbs all day, and I tried to ignore it but it only got worse as the day went out. So I guess my leptin levels have dropped, so as a cheat tonight I had some oatmeal(with brown sugar ontop) and an apple.

/me slaps his hand

Bad Bryan!

GIS
03-12-2003, 09:51 PM
Are you trying to cut?

Unless your doing a keto diet, you still need carbs so don't get in the mentality that all carbs are evil.

Manveet
03-12-2003, 10:39 PM
I had the same thing yesterday Bryan. I'm not doing a keto, but a carb restrictive diet. I mean I'm used to eating at least 4-500g of carbs a day. Cutting back has been a bitch. Can't wait till my next refeed day, lol.

Ironman8
03-12-2003, 10:43 PM
OMG, an apple?! You're surely gonna die soon </sarcasm>. Heh, j/k dude. Be patient, you body wanted carbs, and it usually wins. And that cheat will probably motivate you more.

bradley
03-13-2003, 02:45 AM
http://www.lowcarbnexus.com/LGlutamine_Article.htm

Are you still performing the CKD Bryan? Here is an article I found that might interest you about glutamine and carb cravings. Might be worth looking into.

Bryan
03-13-2003, 06:52 AM
Nice! Thanks for the article bradley.

No I'm not doing CKD anymore, I went back to eating carbs to finished off my cut and start getting my body used to carbs again before my bulk. I've been eating about 150g of carbs a day. But none after 3-4pm. I ate that stuff at around 10pm at night.

Manveet
03-13-2003, 08:46 AM
Great article Bradley.

03-13-2003, 09:21 PM
I had a craving like that yesterday, so within about 4 hours I ate:
12 krispy kreme donuts
3 quissidillas from Taco Bell and nachos
1 lb Chicken Wings
1 medium Stuffed Crust Pizza from Pizza Hut

Craving was gone afterwards.

Ironman8
03-13-2003, 09:29 PM
Oh man, quesadillas from Taco Bella are my weakness :rolleyes:

GIS
03-13-2003, 09:58 PM
Carb cravings suck and are hard to beat, especially if you're doing a low carb diet, but at the same time the craving is sometimes more than just a mental desire for the taste of carbs. The body likes to signal when it needs something, like that random craving for potato chips because it needs salt.

If it happens, I wouldn't shy away from a piece of fruit unless your on keto. In my mind there are cravings, and there are habitual desires. If its a craving, to me it means my body needs something. If it's a desire out of habbit I try to fight it like you are.

Shao-LiN
03-14-2003, 01:42 PM
You slap your hand for eating oatmeal? Probably one of the better things you could eat.

Shankerr
03-15-2003, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by Avatar
I had a craving like that yesterday, so within about 4 hours I ate:
12 krispy kreme donuts
3 quissidillas from Taco Bell and nachos
1 lb Chicken Wings
1 medium Stuffed Crust Pizza from Pizza Hut

Craving was gone afterwards.

Imagine that :D

Sounds like one of my cheats!

I think I scare people when I'm on a cheat day with the sheer volume of absolute garbage empty calories and other trash that I eat in a given afternoon :D Good part is that after that, I just resume my diet, and have no cravings at all for a few weeks!

Shankerr
03-15-2003, 10:28 AM
Um, not sure if your diet will allow it (not sure what kind of diet you're using at the moment) but when I'm carb depleted, I find that by eating most of my carbs first thing in the morning in the form of oatmeal helps to curn carb cravings for the rest fo the day. I think I've poste to this effect before. I don't have any scientific evidence to back this up, so don't ask, but its from my own personal experience and observation!

Shankerr
03-15-2003, 10:29 AM
ps. if someone can come up with a theory other than my "I don't know why the hell it works, it just does" type of theory, let me know :D

EdgeCrusher
03-16-2003, 12:16 AM
If you need carbs, eat some carbs. Don't try to fight stuff like that, otherwise you eat everything in your fridge when your cravings win.

And to Avatar: Wow, that's so much food. I think on my last cheat day I ate the caloric total of 1/5 (probably much less) of that.

AJ_11
03-16-2003, 02:15 AM
Originally posted by Shankerr
Um, not sure if your diet will allow it (not sure what kind of diet you're using at the moment) but when I'm carb depleted, I find that by eating most of my carbs first thing in the morning in the form of oatmeal helps to curn carb cravings for the rest fo the day. I think I've poste to this effect before. I don't have any scientific evidence to back this up, so don't ask, but its from my own personal experience and observation!

I am not dawging your theory here but I wish that was the case for myself. See if I had a carb up in the morning I would crace all day. See When you eat a lot of carbs resulting in a insulin spike your body craves more. Although Oatmeal would be a better choice then sweets as it make you fuller and if you drank a lot of water with it it might make you semi bloated therefor the thought of eating more just turns you away from over eating.

That is one theory. Think about this way when you have dextrose w/ whey post workout do you not get really hungry an hour later. I know I do. But this would be ideal to eat then as you body need nourishment. That is why I keep my carb ups toward then end of the day and I still overdo it.

AJ_11
03-16-2003, 02:18 AM
I have been doing some reading and heard that stevia is supposed to be good for craving control. And It is sweet. I ended getting some to mix with glutamine as the Interactive stuff tastes like poop.

Shankerr
03-16-2003, 11:25 AM
AJ> I do get hungry soon after eating the oatmeal in the AM, in fact I usually have to eat again within an hour and a half or two hours tops, but I didn't think we were talking about hunger here, I thought he was asking about curbing carb urges in particular. I don't have any overwhelming urges for carb-loaded foods for the rest of the day after that initial carb up, even though I do still eat a normal amount of other foods, and usually have to eat another meal within a short time fo the morning oatmeal. Like I said before, its just what I have noticed from my own diet adjustments. If I skip this early carb meal at any time, I tend to get mad craings for carbs throughout the day.

AJ_11
03-16-2003, 11:29 AM
Shankerr,

What I would do is not give in to your cravings and have your oatmeal at another time. Just so you are giving in. Just a thought.

Vido
03-16-2003, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by AJ_11
Think about this way when you have dextrose w/ whey post workout do you not get really hungry an hour later. I know I do.

The problem with this theory is that it is difficult to validate a causal relationship between the dextrose and your post-workout hunger. I mean by the time an hour after your workout rolls around, chances are you haven't eaten any whole food for a number of hours, so the fact that you're hungry would only make sense regardless of what was in the shake.

Shankerr
03-16-2003, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by AJ_11
Shankerr,

What I would do is not give in to your cravings and have your oatmeal at another time. Just so you are giving in. Just a thought.

I think its better to control the cravings before they start myself, that way there is no chance that you'll give in to a carb craving, and have a half a pizza instead if there isn't any oatmeal around. Giving in is for pus$ies.

AJ_11
03-16-2003, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Shankerr

I think its better to control the cravings before they start myself, that way there is no chance that you'll give in to a carb craving, and have a half a pizza instead if there isn't any oatmeal around. Giving in is for pus$ies.

True, see i don't really crave carbs, never have, I crave food in general. Boy I tell you I could have a big appetite at time.

*Just keep Natty PB away from me and no one will get hurt*

Shankerr
03-16-2003, 12:28 PM
I'm the ame way with PB. I dunno, for the most part I just crave food in general, but I tells ya, if I don't get that morning carbup, for some reason i get maaad carb cravings through the day. Its a weird feeling, its like I could eat a half dozen chicken breasts, and still not feel fulfilled.