PDA

View Full Version : SKD vs. CKD

Shark
03-14-2003, 10:41 AM
I'm wondeirng if anyone has any information about how much of my lean body mass I would lose if I was to simply do an atkins diet and stop lifting for two months. From what i've read, I would have the potential to lose a lot more weight doing that and I really want to lose body fat.

I was planning on starting a CKD, and lifting twice each week, but i'm wondering how much of an effect it would have on my physique if i just did the atkins instead. I was thinking i could swim in conjunstion with it and that would not deplete my muscles to the point where my body would be using them as a source of protein.

raniali
03-14-2003, 11:02 AM
in my opinion - ckd is the way to go
you can lose a considerable amount of wt while still refeeding -- and maintain muscle mass. atkins will waste u away.

Ironman8
03-14-2003, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by crussow
From what i've read, I would have the potential to lose a lot more weight doing that and I really want to lose body fat.

That's all gonna be water weight. After you get back on your regular diet and forget about carbs, you're gonna gain most of it back.

AJ_11
03-15-2003, 01:11 AM
Stop Lifting? WHy would you want to do a thing like that. I would say do a CKD, and slowly lose the fat. If you lose the fat and not build muscle or lose it too fast you will end up with alot of loose skin. Or end up being a skinney fat guy.

Shankerr
03-15-2003, 01:50 AM
Why not design a diet to fit your own personal needs and base it around how your body responds to various fluctuations in macro counts instead of trying something out of the box?

bradley
03-15-2003, 05:10 AM
I agree with Shankerr. I would first try a more balanced approach and then maybe fool around with the macro ratios and see how your body responds. If lower carbs are not a problem then go with a CKD, but you can lose weight on a balanced diet just as easily as with a ketogenic one. Choose a diet that you will be able to stick to for the duration of the cut, and I would continue to lift:)

Shark
03-15-2003, 09:35 AM
I'm no stranger to other types of diets or training. I went from 260 down to 207 1.5 years ago, then lifted and ate my way back up to 235. The problem is now i'm closing in on the stomach i used to have and I don't want to wait another year for it to go away. I was thinking about the ckd so as to maximize fat loss before summer. Is it reasonable to assume you could lose 2-2.5 pounds a week on a ckd?

bradley
03-15-2003, 01:43 PM
Is it reasonable to assume you could lose 2-2.5 pounds a week on a ckd?

It depends on how much of a caloric deficit that you create. I would say that 2lbs. per week would be possible but the faster that you cut the more chance that you are going to sacrifice LBM in the process.