PDA

View Full Version : Bulk cycle complete!

ThreeD
03-14-2003, 12:16 PM
Ok guys, this is it :) I've completed my bulk cycle for now, and all I'm worried about now is keeping this weight!

Hell most of you prolly think I'm crazy, but I've gone from 175lbs to 218lbs in 2.5 months. (there are tons of things that made me lose so much weight and gain it back in such a short time. When me and my exgf broke up I had a big down in my life and I lost tons of weight, then again me hitting the gym regulary for many years when I was younger prolly made it easier for me to gain weight back)

This is the weight I want to keep for now though. So my question is, do I drop all the carbs crap and go for protein stuff only or how should I do the split up? RIght now I eat anything that gets in my hands, steak, fish, bread, pasta, noodles, cottage cheese. To maintain the weight and size I have now, I know I have to drop down on carbs and prolly switch the weight gainer with a protein shake like whey protein. But what else should I do to make sure I don't lose any more weight, or gain more weight! I know there will be fluctuation, but I hope to keep that to a minimum!

Thx for ya help!!!!

Vido
03-14-2003, 12:31 PM
What are your goals? You don't want to lose weight, but you don't want to gain any more either? So what you're saying, is that you're completely satisfied with your current physique? Considering I doubt this is the case, you need to be more specific. You just finished a bulking phase so you probably gained some unwanted bodyfat. Therefore, it would make sense that you start to do a cut, but give us some more info first before we can help you.

ThreeD
03-14-2003, 12:37 PM
Well I wanna keep the weight where I am at now! 218lbs, yeah there is a lil fat here and there, but I didn't even gain close to as much fat as I thought I would during my bulking phase. (thank god for that) Yeah I'lll prolly do more cardio and some cutting in the coming weeks, I'm just trying to figure out how I have to change my diet.

How do I have to change my diet to keep the weight where I am now. I know I have to cut down on carbs, but what would be wise to eat instead? I have this urge to just let loose and eat whatever I want to, but I know that wouldn't be ANY good idea at all hehe :)

And my overall physique hehe, I wanna gain some more mass on my upper pecs, but I've seen so many discussions about wether that is possible at all or related to my genetics. I also wanna gain a little more upper arm size, around the corner of my shoulders.

Thx for the quick response by the way Vido :)

Vido
03-14-2003, 01:10 PM
Well you've been bulking, so you've been eating over maintenance for the last 2.5 months. Now, of course, your maintenance number of calories has changed over this time frame because you have gotten so much bigger. That being said, all you need to do is find this new maintenance level and eat that number of calories. If you've been counting calories already on your bulk then you probably just have to drop your daily total by about 500 or so and you should be around maintenance level. So really, there isn't much to change in your diet, other than eliminating a certain number of calories (whatever it was that you were eating over maintenance).

You don't have to, and shouldn't, take carbs out of your diet completely. If you want to keep your current protein and healthy fats levels constant, then yes, you will have to drop some carbs, but don't eliminate them altogether. As far as the weight gainer goes, you can keep using it post-workout, but I wouldn't use it at any other time. If you were already having 1-2 servings of it per day, eliminating this could be the only change you need to make in your diet, period.

The key though is to not make drastic changes too quickly. Just because you're not bulking anymore doesn't mean you have to stop eating. You don't want to lose all of that hard-earned muscle, so you have to make sure to take things slowly. This especially goes for when you decide to cut. People have a tendency to cut calories way too much and add cardio and do all sorts of things that leave them looking like skeletons. Minor tweaks in your diet are enough to take you from a bulk down to maintenance or maintenance to a cut. It isn't as tough as many people make it out to be. Hope this helps.

BUFF STUFF
03-17-2003, 08:11 PM
whoo 3D thats almost 50pounds in 10 weeks!

5pound a week is damn good

goobermor
03-17-2003, 08:30 PM
Wow 50 lbs in 2.5 months....no idea how you did it without gaining a huge gut, but more power to ya.

Personally I would add up the calories of your current daily intake and see where you end up in a week eating the same amt of kcals every day. Then if your loosing weight just add in a snack, or if your gaining take a snack away.

I figure thats the easiest way to do it, especially for me since I love to snack.

Ironman8
03-18-2003, 07:23 AM
If you gain weight, it'll probably be muscle, so you shouldn't really worry about it.

Defkon1
03-18-2003, 05:44 PM
that does seem like a lot of weight to add It wouldve been better to have ur fat % taken b4 and after ur bulking phase, this is something I do whenever i change my routine so i can be sure of how much loss or gain ive made of either fat or muscle.

ThreeD
03-19-2003, 06:32 AM
Thx for the quick replies all!! I never thought I'd gain that much weight in that short amount of time and I definately have to take some pics of me so you can see the transition.

When I first started out with the mass gainer I was afraid that it would all go straight to my gut, and I was afraid my metabolism would go wild cuz I've always had a high metabolism. I think what kept all this from happening was the diet I've been on now for about 3 months, slowly adding more and more as I gained weight. Right now I've stalled at around 218lbs and that's where I wanna keep it.

I'll try to get up some before and after pics of me soon, and thx for the encouraging words!

Buff Stuff, I know hehe it's crazy! If someone would've told me 3 months ago that I was gonna gain this much weight in that short amount of time, I would never have believed him! I think there are many reasons for my gain though mainly because I've been working out on and off for years.

Goobermor, eat A LOT, work out with a vision in mind and a strict work out routine made me get where I am now! When I first started in the beginning of january I thought it would take me ages to gain as little as 10 lbs. Now I've gained back and added more weight than I could ever have dreamt of, and it's all a dream come true :)

Vido, I've done some very minor adjustments to my diet like you said, and hopefully it'll all go well! We'll see where I go from here..

Defkon1, I thought about the body fat % before I started this bulk cycle, but I knew that with my current diet I wouldn't add much fat anyways. Yeah I gained some fat, but I guess the goal of any mass cycle is to put on weight and fat is part of it. I'll keep that in mind for the next bulking cycle though!!

Ironman8, almost all muscle, but some fat too :D

Thank you all for the encouraging words though :) This place is a true motivator and has really brought my life to a new level!

Keep hittin those weights! :)

Ironman8
03-19-2003, 07:13 AM
Awesome! Can't wait to see your pics :thumbup: