PDA

View Full Version : Nutritional Breakdown of Cod Liver Oil

AJ_11
03-14-2003, 04:15 PM
Anyone know the numbers in like a tablespoon.

bradley
03-14-2003, 04:53 PM
I was looking around on the web and found this. It really doesn't answer your question but I though you might find the info of some use:)

http://math.ucsd.edu/~ebender/Health%20&%20Nutrition/Nutrition/oil_good.html#anchor251468

AJ_11
03-14-2003, 05:05 PM
Bradley, in your opinion would it be advisable to use cod liver oil as an extra supplement. Right now I take roughly 6 grams a day coming from fish(herring, sardines), salmon oil caps.

bradley
03-15-2003, 04:30 AM
This was posted by =w= in a previous thread:

I have found cod liver oil to be the most economical form of fish oils but worry about vitamin A and D toxicity. Do you think I would run into a problem with 2 tsp a day? Each tsp contains 92% of the DV for Vit A and 115% of the DV for D. Also each tsp contains 5g fat and ~500mg of EPA and ~500mg DHA, do you think the 2 tsp would be sufficient for my n-3 intake? I am using a higher protein/carb and am limiting fats (to these 2 tsp of CLO, a couple tbls of NPB, and any incedental fat which may come from oats, or 96% lean ground beef) on my current diet since I have just begun a cycle of ONE this morning.

This was posted in response by B&I:

The RDA for vitamin A is 5,000IU. I've seen one abstract that said it becomes toxic at 25,000IU if taken for a prolonged period of time(I've also seen a figure of 50,000IU given for toxicity--although this seems like pushing it to me.)
The RDA for vitamin D is 400IU. But I belive it becomes toxic at about 20,000IU. So you're cool on both fronts unless you're taking a multi with large amounts of either or you get a lot in your diet. The DHA and EPA are basically sufficient(Maybe a little on the low side, though, depending on your weight) My only concern with cod liver oil would be high levels of methyl-mercury and possibly PCBs. That's why I tend to stick to molecularly distilled fish oil caps.

complete thread
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10597&highlight=cod+liver+oil

I would probably just increase the dosage of fish oil to make sure that I was getting the recommended dosage of EPA and DHA. I don't really see any reason to incorporate both in your diet. I am sure that you are getting enough vitamin A and vitamin D through your multi.

aka23
03-15-2003, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by AJ_11
Anyone know the numbers in like a tablespoon.

The typcial nutrition info for a tablespoon of cod liver oil is :

Calories -- 135
Total Fat -- 15g
Saturated Fat -- 3g
Cholesterol -- 750mg
Sodium -- 0
Total Carbohydrate - 0
Protien - 0
Vitamin A 13,800 IU (~3x RDA)
Vitamin D 1380 IU (~3.5x RDA)
EPA 1500mg
DHA 1400 mg

Note that the above numbers can vary a great deal. I would suggest looking at the nutrition info on the package that you purchase. Some types of less concentrated cod liver oil (have less the 1/2 the nutrients I listed above.

restless
03-15-2003, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by aka23

The typcial nutrition info for a tablespoon of cod liver oil is :

Calories -- 135
Total Fat -- 15g
Saturated Fat -- 3g
Cholesterol -- 750mg
Sodium -- 0
Total Carbohydrate - 0
Protien - 0
Vitamin A 13,800 IU (~3x RDA)
Vitamin D 1380 IU (~3.5x RDA)
EPA 1500mg
DHA 1400 mg

Note that the above numbers can vary a great deal. I would suggest looking at the nutrition info on the package that you purchase. Some types of less concentrated cod liver oil (have less the 1/2 the nutrients I listed above.

One thing, if the oil is really a good quality oil it won't have any cholesterol because the molecular distilation process that filtered the heavy metals will also filter it.

AJ_11
03-15-2003, 04:18 PM
there is nothing on the package, but its norweigen if that helps.

mstar
03-18-2003, 05:00 AM
a question that i always wondred about is...what if u take above the RDA of a vitamin? does it just come out the other end? as my cod liver oil tablets have vitamin A and i take multi-vits as well. Am i doing myself harm??????? :confused:

aka23
03-18-2003, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by mstar
a question that i always wondred about is...what if u take above the RDA of a vitamin? does it just come out the other end? as my cod liver oil tablets have vitamin A and i take multi-vits as well. Am i doing myself harm??????? :confused:

It depends on the nutrient, and a number of other factors. High doeses of water soluble vitamins are usually excreted in the urine. Fat soluble vitamins, like Vitamin A, and minerals may accumulate and have negative effects at lower doses. In the Vitamin A section of my RDA 10th Edition book, it says

"Signs of toxicity usually appear only with sustained daily intakes, including both foods and supplements, exceding 15000ug of retinol (50,000 IU) in adults nad 6,000ug of retinol (20,000 IU) in infants and young children (Baurnfeind, 1980). These doses are more than 10x higher than the RDA..."

There have been a number of other studies which linked negative effects at lower doses. For example one study suggests that vitamin A supplements can weaken the bones and increase risk of fractures at doses of under 2x RDA (http://www.sciencenews.org/20030125/fob4.asp). Note that this one study is not conclusive evidence, and these negative effects are not linked to the Vitamin A associated with plants (betacarotene is converted to Vitamin A in body).

Also note that the RDAs are usually set to prevent disease with a generous safety factor. I believe that most are set to prevent negative effects in >96% (2 standard deviations above mean) of the population. The RDA is usually intended for healthy persons who do not use prescription drugs and do not have high levels of physical activity. The RDAs are not necessarily the optimal levels or the max amount that is absorbed. Many authorities think the optimal levels of certain vitamins are several times the RDA. However, I disagree with the article on this site suggesting that the level "Recommended for the Athlete" may be 100x the RDA or more.

mstar
03-20-2003, 06:18 AM
Thanks dude :thumbup: