PDA

View Full Version : Calories in ground beef?

Vido
03-14-2003, 08:50 PM
Does anyone know where I can find out how many calories are in COOKED ground beef? The numbers on sites I've checked just seem way too high when you've accounted for the original patty shrinking up almost in half while cooking. I mean, I can't see that a typical hamburger patty is somewhere in the range of 600 cals. Thanks guys.

Shankerr
03-14-2003, 08:56 PM
fitday.com ????

I eat about 1/2 - 3/4 pound of grnd beef a day for the most part. Actually, I'm eating some right now, quite delicious mixed with onions and cooked up

Vido
03-14-2003, 09:04 PM
Thanks Shankerr, although I found out what I didn't want to hear. I can't believe there's so many damn cals in beef!

Let me ask another question then. You know how 1 cup uncooked rice yields 3 cups cooked rice (for certain types of rice anyway), well how much uncooked ground beef yields 1 cup of the cooked stuff? I'm just trying to figure out how I can take a pre-cooked weight and calculate my calories from that, so I know what I'm dealing with before I start.

Shankerr
03-14-2003, 09:16 PM
Honestly man, I have no idea! I buy my beef in big packs, cook the whole mess at once, and then measure it out into servings after its cooked. The problem with trying to figure out the nutritional values of cooked beef based on the uncooked weight is the fat content in ground beef. Two different 1lb packages of extra lean ground beef will almost always yield 2 different cooked weights, because one pack will always have more or less fat in it than the other, and as such, once you cook the beef and drain the fat off, you'll wind up with different weights, even though you started with identical weights.

Honestly mate, best way to go, buy a package, cook it up, and then adjust your serving size accordingly once you know what the cooked volume is! its the easiest way to go and takes alot of the guess work out. If you have too much cooked beef for one serving based on the amount of calories you want to gain from it, either give the rest to me, or stick it in the fridge for later! Thats what I do anyway!

Vido
03-14-2003, 09:25 PM
Ya, all right I guess that's what I'll have to do. Thanks for the input.

Shankerr
03-14-2003, 09:32 PM
No worries, my brain is a bit fried tonite, so I hope what I said made sense :eek:

ps. Those Ziploc plastic containers work great for pre-cooked foods like that. If you're bulking up, don't worry too much about portion size, just eyeball it! However when I cut, I use a measuring cup to get things close. Next time I cut, I'm actually going to use a scale. Laugh if you will but even though I'm a sarcastic bastard, I take precision in some things seriously.

Ironman8
03-14-2003, 10:51 PM
The USDA nutritional fact page has information on most foods.

Maki Riddington
03-15-2003, 12:00 AM
Vido, it would depend on what kind of ground beef it was. Lean, extra lean or regular. Per 4 ounces of extra lean ground beef there is 20-22 grams of protein and 19 grams of fat.

Now once you cook it you can drain some more fat so it's very hard to tell. I'd half (ground beef macronutrients) it if you really drained the fat out after cooking it.

Vido
03-15-2003, 12:09 AM
Would you half all macronutrients or just the fat? I would think cooking the patties up on the Foreman grill would classify as draining the fat pretty good.

Shankerr
03-15-2003, 01:45 AM
Just look up the macro counts for cooked ground beef, like I said before. Actually, I'll save ya the trouble, here it is

Amount Per 1 cup, cooked
Calories 312.26
Calories from Fat 179.27

% Daily Value *

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total Fat 19.92g 31%

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saturated Fat 7.83g 39%

Polyunsaturated Fat 0.744g

Monounsaturated Fat 8.72g

Cholesterol 102.46mg 34%

Sodium 482.49mg 20%

Potassium 381.87mg 11%

Total Carbohydrate 0g 0%

Dietary Fiber 0g 0%

Protein 30.98g 62%

Shankerr
03-15-2003, 01:46 AM
That is for extra lean ground beef by the way

bradley
03-15-2003, 05:06 AM
The ground beef that I buy is 96% lean/4% fat and the nutrition facts say that it has 130 cals per 4oz. serving. Comes out to 24g of protein and 4g of fat. I usually just weigh mine out before cooking and then I will now exactly how many cals are in each patty.

Shankerr
03-15-2003, 10:11 AM
Where do you find ground beef with only 4% fat, I'd love to get me hands on some of that there :D

Manveet
03-15-2003, 11:15 AM
Here's what I found in my food counts book

This is raw beef per 4oz btw.

extra lean 265, 21.1, 0, 19.3 (protein, carbs, fat)

lean 298, 20, 0, 23.4

regular, 351, 18.8, 0, 30

Shankerr
03-15-2003, 11:57 AM
eww, regular looks even nastier when you put it like that :puke:

bradley
03-15-2003, 01:57 PM
I can get the 4% fat at the local Wal-Mart supercenter:) I have also eaten Laura's Lean Beef which is almost as lean. It is 8% fat and has like 160 cals per 4oz. If you can't find the 4% you might have a better luck with finding the Laura's Lean Beef because I see it in most of the supermarkets I go to.

http://www.laurasleanbeef.com/

smalls
03-15-2003, 04:45 PM
Yeah, I get the 4% too. It's a bit more expensive, but your actually getting more meat.

But as far as after cooking it, I'm not sure but it is prob less fat for sure.