PDA

View Full Version : How long should i stay on the keto...

Footballguy
03-15-2003, 12:16 PM
This diet is goin great (KETO) im just wondering should i cycle this diet with another or just continue on this diet until i loose the weight i want then gradually re introduce carbs to a ok level? Also if i decide to just have a 24 hr carb up how many carbs should i have?
-FBG

Shankerr
03-15-2003, 01:14 PM
As far as I'm concerned, you should be using a diet that is tailored to you specifically, not something out of the box. However, if you're really stuck on a boxed keto diet, then you should cycle it (like 10 days on, 2 days off where you are back to a normal diet including clean carbs, give or take), or at least refeed now and then IMO. For a carbup, refeed, cheat, whatever you want to call it, don't worry too much about the amount of carbs, fats, cals etc that you consume during that one day. Typically when I cheat, I only cheat for 1/2 day, ie. eat normally in the morning, start eating garbage after lunch, and continue until bedtime. The next morning you'll wake up bloated a bit, but by the time you do that days cardio, you'll lose the bloat and your metabolism will be kicked into high gear because of the previous days debauchery which will be an advantage for the next little bit back on keto.

Go ahead and start the debate, everything else I say in the diet board gets hotly debated, so theres no reason why this point shouldn't be. Remeber though, what works on paper for one, is not always what works in real life for all, and now and then its good to develop your own thoughts on things instead of being a drone.

bradley
03-15-2003, 02:04 PM
, then you should cycle it (like 10 days on, 2 days off where you are back to a normal diet including clean carbs, give or take), or at least refeed now and then IMO. For a carbup, refeed, cheat, whatever you want to call it

This is kind of the idea behind the cyclical ketogenic diet. Five days in ketosis and then a 1 or 2 day carb up (usually on the weekend).

I would say to stick with the diet until you reach the bf% you want for this cut. A rough estimate for the amount of carbs to be taken in on a carb load is 10g of carbs per kg of lean body mass.

Shankerr
03-15-2003, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by bradley

This is kind of the idea behind the cyclical ketogenic diet. Five days in ketosis and then a 1 or 2 day carb up (usually on the weekend).

Kinda sorta yeah, just a few added low carb days over a normal CKD:D

Bottom line is that I'm all about customization and precision, I'd only recommend any sort of pre-made diet if he's really stuck on the idea for some reason.

Footballguy
03-18-2003, 07:26 PM
So is it rue that after a while u should introduce a few good carbs into the diet like fruit n veggies?B/c i been on it a while n my weight is still falling i just want to know if i should start adddin some good carbs n what should they be if so....

-FBG

bradley
03-19-2003, 02:31 AM
Originally posted by Footballguy
So is it rue that after a while u should introduce a few good carbs into the diet like fruit n veggies?B/c i been on it a while n my weight is still falling i just want to know if i should start adddin some good carbs n what should they be if so....

-FBG

I wouldn't start adding in carbs until you are ready to resume a more balanced diet.

Although while performing a ketogenic diet you can have some green leafy vegetables. These have minimal carbs and contain fiber which is always a good thing when performing a ketogenic diet.

Ironman8
03-19-2003, 07:20 AM
Ya, plan a carb up day. Sugary cereals should do the job.

raniali
03-19-2003, 10:34 AM
if a ckd has been successful thus far, i see no need for your to change your approach. i am assuming you have been do refeeds at least once and week which is ample time for you to get your carbs (and sugary cereals) in. i'm with brad on this -- stay on it till you reach your desired wt .... cuz if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

when u decide to return to a 'normal' (and i use that loosely) carb diet, you should have an idea by then of your new maintenance calories and adjust that diet accordingly.