PDA

View Full Version : need help getting big

NO2
03-15-2003, 07:41 PM
hi all

well i start by saying that im having trouble building mass for some reason..it might be my height
im 6'4 weighing 234 pounds.. i wanna try to get up to 280 to 300 in about a year.. naturally..is it posible????

EdgeCrusher
03-15-2003, 11:46 PM
that's a big goal when you say you have trouble putting on mass.

it's simple though:

lift heavy but smart
eat a lot but clean
protein is your friend

AstronautJones
03-16-2003, 12:08 AM
The reason for not being able to put on mass wouldn't be because of your height, but instead because of your diet. You need to eat a LOT, and make sure to get lots of protein and lift smart like EC said.

Perhaps you could post your diet, so we can pick it apart.

GIS
03-16-2003, 04:20 AM
Don't make your goal weight gain when first starting out. Make the goal to learn as much as possible and implement that knowledge. Only then will you grow.

Proper training and diet should be your main research topics.

bradley
03-16-2003, 04:50 AM
You said you are joining the military in a previous thread. I am just curious as to why you would want to be that big when going into the military. I was in the Navy and IMO being that massive would be a disadvantage. I am not trying to criticize you but just curious:)

NO2
03-16-2003, 07:06 PM
i guess your right bradley, i guess it would be a disadvantage, but if i ever get into hand to hand with the enemy being big and strong will make my job much easier...

well heres my so called diet...

morning - cereal
afternoon - protien shake [sometimes]
lunch - sandwitch
after lunch about 3pm - another shake
super - steak and rice
gym
after gym about 30 min after - shake
home then bed

its not easy cause im in school and trying to get fit for the military at the same time

is having a protien shake that important????

Behemoth
03-16-2003, 07:44 PM
It is post workout. You need quick protein shuttled into your body immediately. Whey protein (protein shake) does this best.

WestyHeadbanger
03-16-2003, 08:00 PM
I hear that the US army is full of abnormally large dudes.

In Australian forces the focus is on marching with packs and endurance training. I bet 90% of the army in Aus benches below 250lbs but could walk for 8 days straight with a 40kg pack and a Stuyer.

Vido
03-17-2003, 12:15 AM
Sorry to say it, but that diet looks more like a cutting diet for a 175 lb male, not one for someone who wants to get up to 300 lbs. Perhaps I'm misjudging the calories in each of those meals, but unless that's a BOX of cereal and your protein shakes contain milk, natty pb, and ice cream, then I can't see how you are going to bulk on that diet.

Ironman8
03-17-2003, 01:11 AM
Ya, you definitely have to eat more. Get some more protein in your diet.

bradley
03-17-2003, 02:45 AM
Make sure to get protein in with each meal. Get at least 1g protein per lb. of bw and spread this amount over 6 meals per day. Good protein sources would include lean beef, chicken, eggs, fish, dairy products, and protein powder.

Don't skip out on your healthy fats. Some good fats would be from sources like nuts, natural peanut butter, olive oil, flax oil, fish oil, oily fish (example salmon). Most recommend an intake of 25-30 % of your daily cals from fat.

Let low GI carbs make up the rest of your daily calories. Things like oats, sweet potatoes, beans, ww bread, veggies, etc. The only time that high GI carbs would be needed would be postworkout along with some protein.

To get some extra cals I would mix the protein powder with milk except postworkout which I would then mix it with water. Keep adding calories in small increments each week until you are gaining weight. When you are gaining the desired amount of weight each week hold calories at that level. The slower you gain the more chance of the gains coming in the form of LBM.

EdgeCrusher
03-17-2003, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by NO2
i guess your right bradley, i guess it would be a disadvantage, but if i ever get into hand to hand with the enemy being big and strong will make my job much easier...

well heres my so called diet...

morning - cereal
lunch - sandwitch
super - steak and rice
gym
home then bed

its not easy cause im in school and trying to get fit for the military at the same time

is having a protien shake that important????

oh man, this is trouble.

i weigh 210 lbs and I'm trying to cut to 180. It looks like I eat more calories than you.

EdgeCrusher
03-17-2003, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Vido
Sorry to say it, but that diet looks more like a cutting diet for a 175 lb male, not one for someone who wants to get up to 300 lbs. Perhaps I'm misjudging the calories in each of those meals, but unless that's a BOX of cereal and your protein shakes contain milk, natty pb, and ice cream, then I can't see how you are going to bulk on that diet.

that cracked me up.

NO2
03-17-2003, 12:03 PM
well so far ive uped my cal intake..im gonna by some new protien power..i think ill buy propeptide by darian yates[or whatever his name is:D ] here in canada with taxes it come to $65..damn i wanna move to the states, everyting is so much cheaper there

ok so at 6ft 4in and 231 lbs(i just weighed myself)
i should eat more veggies, take more protien shakes like 5 a day and eat more cals right???

since i can go on any type of muscle builder i guess its the long road for me:mad:

NO2
03-17-2003, 12:07 PM
since i canT go on any muscle builder i guess its the loooooong road for me(thats what i ment to say)

Ironman8
03-17-2003, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by NO2
i should eat more veggies, take more protien shakes like 5 a day and eat more cals right???

Also, lift smart and be patient :D

bradley
03-17-2003, 01:50 PM
well so far ive uped my cal intake..im gonna by some new protien power..i think ill buy propeptide by darian yates[or whatever his name is ] here in canada with taxes it come to $65..damn i wanna move to the states, everyting is so much cheaper there

I would save my $$'s and get some Optimum 100% whey or something similar. Probably much cheaper and is a good protein powder IMO. What does the new diet look like?

aka23
03-17-2003, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by NO2

morning - cereal
lunch - sandwitch
super - steak and rice
gym

You indicated that you already have 2 or 3 protein shakes per day. I do not think you need to up this to 5 protein shakes per day. I think it would be more beneficial to add some calories from natural foods.

If I assume that all of the foods are average serving size, then you are only getting about 1500 calories per day, probably far too low for a 234lb guy who is bulking. You could easily need over 3000 calories. After your workout, your body has burned off a lot of muscle glycogen. It needs carbs to refill the glycogen and facilitate recovery. A postworkout meal with only a protein shake may provide an insignifcant amount of carbs and hinder recovery (unless protein shake has a good amount of carbs, as well as protein. Some brands do. Some don't.). Under my average serving assumptions, the diet is probably deficient (under US RDA) in Fiber, Vitamin C, Vitamin A, Vitamin D, Vitamin E, and Magnesium. If the protein shake does not have calcium or zinc added, then it is likely deficient in these minerals as well.

I would suggest adding vegatables and fruits to get Vitamin A, Vitamin C, and Fiber; adding more whole grains to get Magnesium and Fiber, adding another source of dairy to get Calcium and Vitamin D; and adding some essential fats to get Vitamin E as well as EFAs. I think each meal should include both protein and carbs. This is especially important for your post workout meal. In my opinion 2-3 protein shakes per day is more than enough. Natural sources of protein sources like fish and poultry have certain nutrients that protein shakes do not.

Shankerr
03-17-2003, 02:51 PM
Steroids are your friend, since your body naturally produces testosterone anyway, its pretty close to natural! haha

heres an idea, eat about 4x what you're currently eating and lift heavy

NO2
03-17-2003, 02:59 PM
i like tuna fish so theres my fish vitamins

morning
6 egg whites 2 begals with low fat creme cheese
3 hours later pasta with heathy choice pasta sauce
lunch 3 tuns sandwitchs with lots of mayo (gotta love mayo:))
3 hours later.. propeptide or perfect rx shake
3 hours later super..chicken breasts rice steamed frozen veggies
2 hour later..gym
30min later shake..not sure what protien shake is best though
can o tuna plain out of the can
20 min later...sex
bedtime zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

im not sure if this is better...ive been planning out new diets and stuff...
what protein powder do u recomend???

NO2
03-17-2003, 03:03 PM
i might need some fat burners to get that six pack....
i got a 1 pack now |)..hehehe
my guess is 6 fat burning pills a day to get washboard abs??
or an overdose...lol

EdgeCrusher
03-17-2003, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by NO2
or an overdose...lol

holy ****. your gonna kill yourself with this line of thinking.

no fat burners when bulking.

and when you're cutting, go according to the label as a maximum. 6 of most pills is a nice way to blow up your heart.

bradley
03-17-2003, 04:20 PM
You need more healthy fats in your diet. I would recommend eating a couple of the egg yolks along with the egg whites for breakfast, and also might think about adding some sort of flax/fish oil supplement to get some omega 3 fatty acids in your diet.

Get some protein in with meal number 2. Lunch looks okay IMO, and I would recommend mixing the protein shakes with milk to help slow the digestion of the shake (except postworkout in which the shake should include high GI carbs as aka23 mentioned).

what protein powder do u recomend???

Optimum 100% whey is good IMO.

or an overdose...lol

You are trying to gain right? Losing fat and gaining significant amounts of weight is going to be difficult. I wouldn't worry about the ECA, and if you do get an ECA follow the directions on the label.

Ironman8
03-17-2003, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by NO2
lunch 3 tuns sandwitchs with lots of mayo (gotta love mayo:))

Dude, get rid of all that mayo or else you'll get more fat that muscle. Plus, it can't be good for your health.

bradley
03-17-2003, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Ironman8

Dude, get rid of all that mayo or else you'll get more fat that muscle. Plus, it can't be good for your health.

Mayo is a decent source of fat if you get the kind made from canola oil and I have also seen mayo made with safflower oil mentioned on the board before. His diet is lacking in fat so a couple servings of mayo is not going to hurt. Fat does not make you fat:)

Ironman8
03-17-2003, 05:13 PM
Heh, I know fat doesn't make you fat, but excess amounts do. He said he likes lots of mayo, but he should tone it down a bit because of the saturated fats.

NO2
03-17-2003, 05:21 PM
well tonight i got to go to the gym and pump iron
todays calves and shoulders...

whats a good protein powder??
and whats fish oil and how do i get it???

i eat tuna..is that ok??

NO2
03-17-2003, 05:25 PM
check this out PROPEPTIDE PROTIEN POWDER

Chocolate Malt, Creamy Vanilla, and Wild Strawberry
2lb. Container with 14 servings
Protein: 45g, Carbohydrates: 6g, Fat: 3g
Low in simple sugars (including Lactose)

The advanced blend of proteins incorporate dietary “fast and slow” proteins in the form of:

Whey protein – un-denatured
Micellar casein – anti-catabolic
Egg proteins – high in cystein

These proteins allow for a sustained release of protein meaning better:

Net nitrogen utilization
Less wasted protein
Less catabolism

Probiotic organisms, “friendly bacteria”, to help keep your digestive system functioning at maximum efficiency, improve your intestinal health, and increase protein absorption by recycling amino acids for further use with:

bifidus
Acidophilus
Yogurt organisms

Rich in bioactive protein fractions such as lactoferrin as well as important peptides.

A high concentration of peptide–bonded glutamine, 4g per serving, ensures a superior absorption (up to 20 times) to that obtained with L-glutamine:

While producing a strong anti-catabolic effect
Allowing maximum lean muscle growth

Helps the body to better incorporate nutrients before, during, and after intense exercise.

Allows for maximum anabolic and anti-catabolic activity

bradley
03-18-2003, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by Ironman8
Heh, I know fat doesn't make you fat, but excess amounts do. He said he likes lots of mayo, but he should tone it down a bit because of the saturated fats.

The mayo that I mentioned has about 1.5g of saturated fat per serving. Not that much IMO.

bradley
03-18-2003, 02:34 AM
whats a good protein powder??
and whats fish oil and how do i get it???

I would get a 100% whey powder postworkout. Here is a thread that might interest you.
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28280&highlight=whey+protein
You can get fish oil at most any health food store.