PDA

View Full Version : Does Pulverizing Fruits/Vegetables Affect Their Nutritional Value

spain
03-16-2003, 06:42 AM
I am trying to get more fruits in my diet so I have been throwing bananas, strawberrys, pineapple, etc. into my protein shake. My question is whether blending these fruits up real fine decreases their nutritional value. Does it adversely effect the fiber content? Are they better to eat whole or is it ok to blend them? Thanks.

Reinier
03-16-2003, 06:59 AM
it does not effect their nutritional value.
but why do you want more fruits in your diet.?

Ironman8
03-16-2003, 09:31 AM
Maybe because they're good for you :p

Reinier
03-16-2003, 09:42 AM
are they?
they have fiber, sugar, water and vitamins.
nothing i cant get without em and i dont get the sugar :)

I eat them at times tho. theyre tasty

body
03-16-2003, 10:38 AM
you increase the GI of the product slighlty as you break down some of the cell walls saving your body having to do it, thus it get more quickly asborbed.

You may lower the content of some sensetive chemicals as they are more like to be exposed to air so they react with this. But again this is not a big change.

fruits are good fro you as well. they are more convient to eat than veg, plus some are very low in sugar etc so do not go you can get all the stuff from veg. veg is the same as fruit as its good to get variety of them, not be dependant on just a certain veg.

Berserker
03-16-2003, 11:53 AM
By crushing or blending you are not changing the chemical makeup of the fruit, just its shape. As far as not eating fruit, unless your on strict diet, might as well enjoy it. I am not afraid of fruit.

Bruise Brubaker
03-16-2003, 06:18 PM
I read that for carrots, it's better to eat them not raw, so they become easier to digest and it's easier for the body to absorb the vitamins.

Berserker
03-16-2003, 09:33 PM
Personally i prefer raw carrots, you may well me rigtht about the digestion of cooked carrots. But I look at it like this, if your that close to the ragged edge of getting your nutrients, take a vitamin or eat more. I know I am on a tangent. At my level I don't sweat the small stuff. Eat your veggies.

Ironman8
03-17-2003, 01:17 AM
Man, carrots taste so bland. I try to eat a couple of small baby ones, but I could only eat two.