PDA

View Full Version : Work... Perserverence... Improvement :)

Meat_Head
03-16-2003, 11:51 AM
I'm starting a journal to keep track of my strength and size gains :P

I'm 16, 17 in may, 5'11, 174lbs, and at maybe 13% bf.

I'm currently in a weightlifting class at school. It sucks, and I'd get out of it if I could, but I can't, so I'm gonna half ass it there and do a little less volume in my own workouts. I'm hoping to gain some weight and lose some fat before summer, I'd like to be at least 180-185 and leaner than I was last year, that's my goal anyways :D

By August I'd like to be:
190lbs
10-15% bf
Standing OH barbell press: 180lbs+
Parallel squat: 315x1
Bottom position squat on rack: 250x1
Bench press: 245x1
Bottom position bench press on rack w/ thick bar: 225x1
Weighted pullup: BW+60lbs or more x 1 rep
DB clean and press: 80lbsx3 at LEAST
Thick bar curl: 135x1
Clean and press 150lb sandbag
Farmers walk w/ 2 40-50lb sandbags for a long ass time
Bearhug 150lbs+ of sandbags and walk for a long ass time

To attain these goals, obviously I'm gonna half to work my ass of and get alot bigger and stronger...

I may get a trap bar and do deadlifts with them, but that'll be a goal I set later, money is tight =\

Also I'd like to get more ass and have more fun :p Hey who doesn't

Need to get my grades up, and get a second job.

Anyways, the routine will be simple:

On Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday (probably wednesday) I'll be doing sandbag or strongman work or some kind:

Sandbag clean and press, 5 singles with a heavy weight
Bearhug and walk, as many sandbags as possible for a 20-30 yard walk till I fall or they fall outa my arms x 3
Farmers walk w/ 1 sandbag in each hand till they fall out x 1
Maybe shouldering sandbags and walking, or whatever other exercises I can think of. Basically as a finisher, just workin till my ass is fried.

Then on friday or saturday:
Work up to 5 reps in:

OH press
Squat
Bench press
Weighted pullups
Thick bar curls

The set is submaximal, but still hard as hell to get.

Then at the end, 1 or 2 sets of weighted ab and core work.

Every week weight is increase and reps reduced by one. So the next week would be 4 hard ass reps with those weights. Keep going like that till I'm on a single for each exercise then go back up to 5 reps the next week with increased weight of course. Progression in weight is the main focus.

When I get to the weeks of 3 2 and 1 reps, I'll add in bottom position squats and bottom position bench presses.

That workout will be very taxing, which is why I'll be using various recovery tecniques and getting plenty of rest before the sandbag workout.

That's all for now, wish me luck!

NateDogg
03-16-2003, 01:23 PM
Good luck!!!!!

:spam:

kook
03-16-2003, 07:06 PM
love the workout, good luck with it, but why are you going to go higher weight but drop a rep each week till the single, imo id say go higher weight but try to do the same reps every week

Meat_Head
03-16-2003, 09:52 PM
K, well it goes like this....
A random exercise, say OH press:

In the first workout I might use 110 for my 5 reps, assuming that's close or at my 5 rep max.

The next workout I'd bump the weight up to 115 or 120, somethin I could only get 4 reps with.

The next week it would be 120-125 for a triple.

And so on... Until I reach the single rep workout, and lets say I'd use 135lbs for 1 rep, around my max hypothetically.

The next workout would restart the whole thing, going back to 5 reps, but the weight I use would be greater than the one I used for the last 5 rep workout, assuming that my strength had increased in the 5 workouts, i.e. progression! I might use 115, or 120 for 5 reps or maybe more instead of 110.

kook
03-17-2003, 07:48 PM
i see i see now, much luck son

Meat_Head
03-17-2003, 08:15 PM
Thanks!

I may post my half ass workouts at school for lack of anything better to do.

Todays workout at school:

Eh decided to do arms, since we have 2 days to choose from:

Straight bar curls, 12 reps with slow negatives with 65lbs, then 55, then 50.

Hammer curls with 15lb dumbells for 12 reps, 3 sets.

Did a set of leg curls, 80lbs for 12 reps, hard set. Then just messed around the rest of the period.

Gave me a good pump :thumbup: hahaha

Meat_Head
03-19-2003, 10:42 PM
SANDBAG DAY #1

Today was the first sangbag workout of the new routine...

I was gonna do it yesterday but it rained and the new computer came, so I just had to set it up lol that took up all the time before work so crappy sleep, maybe 5 hours.... the school workout yesterday actually made me sore, I'm not half assing as much as I should...

Today I did started the workout then was interrupted and had to help my grandma with somethin for about an hour :rolleyes: and the finished it. Because of this I didn't get to take an afternoon nap but took a hot ass bath for recovery.

Workout went something like this:
Carried the bags out 40lb bag by bag. Then warmed up with some 40lb bag deadlifts and clean and presses. When I thought I was warm enough, I stretched more then put 2 40lb bags in my new army duffle bag and cleaned and pressed it. Went up like it was nothing. I decided to try for the 120lbs(3 bags) that I haven't been able to do before with the bags. Got ready and started to clean. The thing got up to my knees and I balanced it on one knee. It must have taken me 20 seconds to get it to a position where I could press it, and then the bags were falling all over the place inside the duffle bag so I could hardly balace it enough to press it with the meager strength I have lol :p
Took out one bag.
Added a 10lb plate.
Cleaned and pressed, clean was hard, press was harder.
I was knocked down already, but went on.
Put another 10 in and was barely able to shoulder it, but managed to get the press in well enough when I could get a good grip. I tried the 120lbs again with no luck. I'm looking to get that in 2 or 3 weeks.

Then carried the bag around by the handle in from with 120lbs. Was hard as hell on spine erectors. Did it till I lost my grip.

Then did bearhug and walk. Just started out with 3 bags in the duffle, 120lbs. Walked about 50 feet then started dropping it and it absolutely fried my biceps and erectors holding the thing.

Did this about 3 times in all.

Hmm, forgot about farmer's walks. Tried some side bends with 120lb bag. Those were hard.....

Then just practiced shouldering the big bag. Its extremely hard. Full body thing, especially hitting biceps, erectors, traps, and shoulders alot. Shouldered the bag maybe 3 times in all. Then took all the bags and put them up. I need REAL sandbags soon instead of fertilizer bags hah. These will start to fall apart soon I fear.

Great workout. I'm completely fried. I'm gonna eat alot and get as much sleep as I can. Definately noticing progress in sandbags.

Meat_Head
03-22-2003, 04:01 PM
RACK DAY #1

Standing OH press:

45x5
65x5
75x5
85x5 <-- Pretty hard set
105x2 + 2 pushpresses <-- A little disapointed, but hopefully I'll get 110 for 4 reps next week

Squat:

45x5
85x5
135x5
155x5
195x5 <-- Hard set, but not hard enough....
215x5 <-- Pretty good, I'd estimate my 5 rep max to be 225

Bench press

45x5
65x5
85x5
135x5 <-- Eh, not too bad
155x4 + 1 forced <-- Damn >:( That's what spring break does to ya, oh well good set

Pullups

BW x 5
BW+ 10 x 3 + 1 forced

Hmm... This needs to increase fast...

Decline situps

35lb dumbell on chest x 15... Missed 8th rep, waited a few seconds, went on, missed 12th and 15th in the same way, but got all 15

Farmer's walk

80lb dumbells for 2 walks across the gym floor and back, maybe 70-80 feet in all

Happy with this workout, but my bodyweight isn't increasing as fast as I want it to..... more milk :evillaugh

kook
03-22-2003, 04:51 PM
haa your workout is krazy, i love it, can't wait to see what else you do and you dont wanna gain weight to quick and be a flobby slobby

Meat_Head
03-22-2003, 06:11 PM
Yea I don't want to gain weight too fast. I have till august to get 20lbs on me :P

I just realized that I forgot to do thick bar curls. Maybe I'll do them tonight...

Meat_Head
03-26-2003, 12:12 PM
Good workout yesterday....

Warmed up and stretched then did cleans and presses:

80lb bag x 1 easy
80x1 again

Went on and put in about 27lbs, put some extra plates in for progression lol

107lb bag, clean came up pretty easy, started the press and it came about a foot up then stopped, tried again w/ a little push help from legs with no success.

Got mad... Was sweating and breathing like a sick bull...

Waited a bit then tried again...

Started to clean, it didn't get high enough for me to 'catch' it, dropped onto my knees, wrestled it up to me chest, and tried to press strict again. A little higher then first attempt. Tried it with a push press and GOT IT! Woohoo!

Shoulders and tris and traps were totally fried from those, did bearhug and walk next.

Left the bag w/ the same weight, 107lbs. Wrestled it into position from flat on the ground, walked with it for a long ass time. When I start getting into heavier weights I'll time more accurately, but it was about 45 seconds, I was going for a minute but dropped it. Picked it up again about 30 seconds later and went for another 30 seconds, till my biceps chest and back couldn't hold that bitch up anymore. Good sets.

Was pretty much done then and running out of time cause of work. Shouldered the 107lb bag and carried it inside.

Showered... ate... good stuff...

In school that day we had done slight incline presses, lat pulldowns, and lots of shrugs, which made the sangbags even harder.

Hafta get a root canal today :cry:

Seeing myself get a little flabby, I'm changing my diet a bit. Sticking more strictly to my general fruit veggies and meat diet, low carb high protein. No more sweets...

Meat_Head
03-28-2003, 12:04 PM
Forget bodyweight. Till summer I'm just gonna focus on getting my strength up. Around summer, I may, depending on how I feel and wether or not I get my trap bar, do a semi high volume bodybuilding routine, kind of like bigchase's that he was doing a couple months ago.

Tonight I will workout. Because I'm sick of my back being as small and weak as it is, I will be adding a set or 2 of heavy rows, lying on a flat bench that is high enough that I can get a full ROM. After that, one drop set of Nautilus pullovers, aiming to kill myself .:p

Maybe some hyperextensions to get my erectors bigger :cry: ... if I feel like it.

Meat_Head
03-29-2003, 10:11 PM
Was gonna work out yesterday, but had a band practice instead... So I was gonna work out today, but had to do yardwork then go to a party.....

That's ok...

I did what I could tonight with the weights I have at home, went something like this:

The weight measurements and equipment are wierd and kinda messed up with what I have at home, so if these seem wrong, that's my excuse...

3/4 movement bench press because I wanted to go max and not kill myself... I don't have a power rack at home:
170-185? x 4 or 5 reps... warmed up enough...

Curls, 80x4, 90-100x4?

Tried pullups pinch gripping rafter type things... didn't work. So I did a buncha negatives, burned forearms and biceps.... lol

Lifted sandbags a little, just shouldering around 100lbs a few times, not too bad.

That's all, maybe I'll be able to do more monday...

Meat_Head
03-31-2003, 07:32 PM
Went to the gym today around 2:30, right before work, had no time for an afternoon nap, but got close to 8 hours of sleep last night.

Warmed up with stretches, a little cardio, hyperextensions, wrestler bridges

Squats:
135x10, 225x3

20 rep breathing squats:

205x13, then racked because it was cutting off my circulation, put a pad on the bar, went back for more, was already dizzy and ready to pass out,

did 2 more, went down for the 16th rep and didn't come up despite the rest between reps,

set the bar and the safety bars, tried to press it from those like a bottom position squat, didn't get very high, dropped to 135, pushed it up, moved weight back up to 205,

pushed out 2 more reps, not quite to parallel, went down for another in the same fashion, didn't come up, dropped weight to 135 and did 3 bottom position squats, then did 3 normal reps, then racked it.

I didn't fall over like I expected, but I stood heaving and sweating and eventually laying on the floor for 5-10 minutes.

Got up and decided to try some stiff legged deads. I've only done these once or twice so I still need to learn the 'groove'. After the 20 rep squats these were next to impossible...

135x6-7,

205x3

Could've done more fresh obviously, I'm gonna stay kinda light on these until my lowerback is strengthened more...

Did some light shoulders, cable extensions, 20lbsx10, 30lbsx10

I liked this workout. The squats were definately some of the most intense things I've been through. Kinda dissapointed I didn't make the full 20 without racking the weight. I was so close to vommiting because of the belt and incredibly dizzy after every rep. The worst thing was just having that weight on my shoulders for so long. I started leaning over more due to form after the 10th or so rep. Didn't really concern myself with it, hammies just took more of each rep, my lowerback was SCREAMING for mercy at the end of the set.

Meat_Head
04-01-2003, 06:49 PM
Barbell support rows Since regular bentover's kill my lowerback, until it gets stronger and my rowing stength is less embarassing I'm doing these... setup is the bottom part of an incline bench is put on a flat bench or chair so the incline part I lay on is almost parallel to the floor...

65x10
135x6
145 x 5.5
135x5.5

Will be better about form next week.

Narrow parallel grip cable rows.... lol
80x10
140x10

These really made my traps burn, I like em :)

Narrow grip bar cable rows
140x12 hard ass reps

Nautilus pullovers
70x8
Drop set:
150x2.5
140x3
120x3
100x4
80x6
70x6
60x8
80x5

FUN!

Padded bar curls I use a regular bar with 2 squat pads put on, it ends up being about 2.5-3" thick

60x1
105x.5, 105x.75 cheating a little

Didn't have it

95x2!!!

I was a little dissapointed about not getting 105, but happy with the double

Close grip bar cable curls
I forgot the weight I used, I think it was 80lbsx10

High cable side curls
60 on both sides x 12

Didn't get to do weighted pullups today, maybe next workout...

Lowerback was a little stiff today, but its feeling fine now. Legs are absolutely KILLING me! I'm scared to get out of this chair ;)

Weighed in at around 175. I'm eating like crazy now that I'm doing more volume, and 20 reppers :eek: so hopefully I'll put on some more mass

Meat_Head
04-02-2003, 03:41 PM
Did 1 minute of warmup cardio
Stretched
Light hyperextensions

Bottom position power rack bench press
45x10
135x3

155x3

Good set :) Not too hard, will see what I can do next workout, maybe a single w/ 185 :P

Incline dumbell press

40x10

60x6 PR woot :D

50x7

Cable crossovers
Drop set:
60x3
50x4
40x6
30x7
60x1

Did 2 drop sets, don't remember the second, but it was good :)

Did some cable wrist curls and reverse curls to warm up....

Did farmers walk with 80lb dumbells once across the gym and back, forearms were pretty tired.

Cable wrist curls w/ 80lbsx8
Reverse cable curls with a short straight bar er maybe 40 or 50x12? Good set, either way

Then attached the rope pushdown attachment to the bottom cable thing and put on 120lbs. Pulled the stack up and kind of pinch gripped the rubber ends of the rope till I about let go.

Forearms burn :eek:

Good workout :)

Hmm I think maybe friday or saturday I'll do shoulders and abs, maybe some triceps... I'll try to get some sangbag work in before or after that workout.

Meat_Head
04-06-2003, 10:21 PM
Haven't worked out since WEDNESDAY! I'm gonna explode....

I'm gonna go do somethin right now with my crappy weights....

I wanted to do clean and presses, but I'll put that off till tomorrow when I can get into the gym with a belt. Don't wana take chances with the back...

Meat_Head
04-06-2003, 11:26 PM
Man that felt good... so glad to have a break from writing my damn 10 page research report. Only 6 more pages, and its 12:15...

Went out and curled 6 reps with what I could only do 4 reps with last time. I think the weight was around 85-90lbs, but can't tell with my crappy weights.

That pumped my biceps soooo bad. :eek: :rolleyes: :D

.... no really it did!

After that I rested for a while, then did a dropset:
85-90x5
75-80x3
55-60x uhm maybe 8? The world was swirling too much for me to keep count....
35-40x about 12 I think

....Yea, biceps were done

Did some cleans next. I guess they were really powercleans... didn't really have a drop when I caught the weight.

95-100x5

150-160x3 Sweating like crazy, came close to passing out second rep. This is embarassing, but the weight will come in time.... I think this is my new favorite exercise, next to behind and around the back supported 65 degree bent over lateral rows.

About 20 seconds after that I did wrestler bridges for about a minute, then went in and took a fookin hot bath and drank a buncha milk. I think I'm gonna forget the paper and go to bed after the next page....

kook
04-07-2003, 06:29 AM
damn you work hard...

i've never seen that before though(padded bar curls) whats your reasoning.. something with grip id assume

and what happened to tossing around sand bags??? i love that ****

Meat_Head
04-07-2003, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by kook
damn you work hard...

i've never seen that before though(padded bar curls) whats your reasoning.. something with grip id assume

and what happened to tossing around sand bags??? i love that ****

Not many people do padded bar anything. Really its just to substitute a 3 inch thick bar, because I don't have any and theyre very expensive. You'd be suprised how much harder you have to work at any exercise just because the grip is bigger. Curls become total body mayhem, and of course its great for forearms and grip :)

Hmm I was gonna do some sandbag work last night after cleans, but felt too fried I guess. I think I'll do some sandbag stuff this weekend, its alot of fun. I'm doing more rack and gym work though, as is obvious by my workouts, I'm just having more fun, and its alot easier to stimulate smaller numbers of muscles than with a full body exercise like cleaning and pressing a sandbag. When I do sandbag work, I'll probably give at least 1 or 2 days recovery before the workout, and at least 2 after before doing any other lifting. Its just too taxing on the whole body, yet so much fun :D

Meat_Head
04-08-2003, 01:30 PM
At school did some power shrugs and calve raises on a calve raise machine, loaded it up with 4 plates on each side and went at it. Got 3 sets of 10 with 8 plates, 1 set of 6 with 10. Good stuff!

Came home, at 2 double cheeseburgers and 4 chicken nuggets and went to the gym.

Behind the neck BB OH press:
45x10
65x5
85x3

105x2.5, barely missed 3

DB press

These were embarassing....

50x1
40x3.5

F*ck em...

I really need my overhead strength to start increasing....

Cable lateral raises
40x10, both arms

DB lateral raise
Dropset:
25x5(last 2 reps sloppy), 20x5, 15x5, 10x5, 5x6

Intense sh*t!

Back
Barbell bent over rows
45x10
95x5
145x6 or 7
165x3

Form wasn't that great, but it probably won't be till I really start getting used to handling and supporting weight in that way.

Parallel grip low cable rows, on the ground
140x12, not too hard

Nautilus pullovers
40x10
Dropset:
150x1
130x3
100x6
80x8
70x6

High cable narrow grip pulldowns

Decided to try these for fun....

70x10 or so..

Good workout! My back is fried! I HAVE to get more sleep, I've had about 8 or 9 hours collectively for the past 2 nights. Haven't got more than 8 or 9 in one night for about 2 weeks....

Meat_Head
04-10-2003, 06:59 PM
Chest:
Bottom position rack bench press
Put the safety bars down 1 hold more than usual. The barbell hit my chest at about 2 inches above my NIPPLES so it was a bit higher than usual. Good for a little bottom upper half/75% outer pectorals toning ;)

55x5
135x3
185x0 Not even close, wouldn't even come off my chest
175x0 Came about an inch off my chest, hopefully I'll nail this next week
165x2.5 first 2 reps were excellent, 3rd got about 2 inches up

Incline dumbell press
70x0 DAMN DAMN DAMN I'm WEAK! I could've got 70's for 3 or 4 reps easy but I couldn't get the damn things to my shoulders!!! Tried to clean them 3 or 4 times, once I got the bell in my left hand up, but the right didn't come.... I was too embarassed to ask for a spotter to help me, damn 70's! :mad:

Ah well, I'll work on cleans harder :p

Got the 60's...

60x8!!

Woohoo! Gettin stronger!

60x6 or 7, don't remember, but it kicked my ass!

Flat bench low cable presses
Read about these on T-Mag and decided to give em a try... They're pretty damn good, the cables I used were a little wide though, so it was hard to do the movement without turning it into a fly. The contraction at the top is WAY hard. Felt great! Can't remember what weight I used very well, I really need to start bringing a notebook or somethin, I'll try to remember that later.

60x8 I think

Drop set:
60x6 or 7
50x5
40x6
30x6

Biceps
Thick grip barbell curls
105x0 :mad: Still didn't get this... I think I'll do these at the beginning of my workout next time with a proper warmup and slam that bitch weight

95x4!! Got it :) There was about a 1-2 second long rest between the last 2 reps

Dumbell preacher curls
Don't like these at all....

40x0
30x3 or 4
20x7+2 forced

Standing high cable curls

Hmm these are good, I think I went 80x10 first..
Drop set:
80x6
70x7
60x6
50x6
40x8

Triceps
Bottom position close grip bench press
95x8?
Didn't really like these, but I think I did another set

Cable pushdowns
120x3
Drop set:
100x5
80x6
70x7
60x5
80x3

Oooo the burn ;)

Well I've been asking for it. This cold has been steadily getting worse the past 2 days, but I didn't think it was anything important at first. I felt horrible this afternoon, but I feel much better now. I tried to take a nap, don't know if I got any sleep, but I'm gonna go sleep now, hopefully I'll be able to get 10+ hours before school tomorrow. Also I got a ton of vitamin c today, and just took a protein shake with extra c in it, so I should be alright to do a leg workout tomorrow. Planning on doing a death set of front squats, some leg presses, dumbell leg curls, and weighted hyperextensions. But I'll have to see how this cold works out.

I think the main reason I caught it is because of the sudden increase of volume and the fact that I got 4 hours of sleep to days this week and haven't gotten 8+ in forever blah.... Ah well, wish me luck!

Budiak
04-10-2003, 07:29 PM
Keep working out. Shoot nasal spray, take your ECA, do your sudaphed, tell the cold to get the **** out of your body. If you stay in bed all day you're telling the cold 'Ok, come on in. Do your worst.' I think I've only gotten sick twice in the past 4 years where I didnt drug myself up and work through it.

I dont know if thats a good thing or not, but hey, all I know is that when I got sick and sat my ass in bed to 'recover' i lost strength, I lose weight, I lost size, i lose everything. When I work through it, I keep progressing.

Lower weight if necessary, just dont stop working. **** that cold. Grab it by the nose and kick it in the ass!

Anyways, I love the caveman training. Sandbags are awesome.

Meat_Head
04-11-2003, 12:16 PM
Thanks for the advice! I'll take it!

I went to bed at 8 yesterday but kinda got some pseudo sleep for an hour or so then woke up. Went back to bed at 11:30. Still tryin to get my vitamins and minerals up. Eating alot as usual. My nose doesn't hurt like a bitch but I've been coughing a little and there's a ****load of mucus.

I'll take some asprin and cold stuff later.

Budiak
04-11-2003, 04:43 PM
After about a week or two of drugging yourself into a stupor just to be able to work out, drop all medications for a day and see how you feel.I usually get addicted to nasal spray and sudafed within 2 days of having a cold...and I've taken them for weeks and weeks when I'd probably already shrugged off the illness long before stopping the meds.

Watch the nasal spray, man. Thats powerful ****.

Meat_Head
04-12-2003, 02:37 PM
I took 3 asprin, 2 cold medicine type pills, and vitamins along with milk and OJ pre workout.

Was planning to get in the hot tub sometime tonight for some fun and recovery, didn't get around to it tho.

Worked out with Johnathan yesterday:

Front Squats
These were ****ed up. Didn't like em, hurt my shoulders for one thing and when I got above 165 or so in weight it became hard for me to keep the weight up.

45x10
135x2
185x2

Wasn't feelin em....

Regular squats
225x8
DAMN! These were GREAT! Barely got the 6th rep on my own, then went down and had to get a little help on the 7th and 8th. Never sweated harder in my life!

135x20 reasonably fast tempo, slow at times
supersetted with
200lbs on leg press x 5 + 1 forced

Don't know how I managed to stand up after that.... but I did, so...

DB leg curls
Decided to try these, stole em from chase :D

20x10 easy
40x10 burns!
50x6 or 7

I really liked em, they're alot of fun. I can really feel the hams pulling in the first 75% of the movement, wow!

Hyperextensions
BW+45lb plate x 8 or so, didn't like the feel of that...

Used the EZ curl bar instead:

20lbs x 10 Felt good!
40x8 or so AWESOME set!

I hold the top position of hyperextensions for 5 seconds before going down...

Felt good, I think I'm almost over this cold, just got a lingering headache and a little congestion.

Big setback... Got about 5 hours of sleep last night. I was so glad that I was finally gonna get to sleep in and heal up, but dammit no such luck. Had to get up and take a 4 hour ACT test at 8 this morning. Ah well, maybe I'll catch up sometime this week.

Meat_Head
04-15-2003, 10:01 PM
I should've waited longer and gotten more rest after friday before doing this workout, but I really felt like working out and doing cleans....

Did some deadlifts with a 40lb bag to warmup..

BB cleans
Did some deadlifts with the weight I cleaned for 3 reps last week, 150-160lbs I'm guessing... Then did 1 clean.

I don't have a belt, so I was a little nervous about adding weight. But I saw a nice 20 foot length of rope in the shed where I worked out. I made do and wrapped it tightly around my waist 4 or 5 times and tied it. Was almost better than a regular belt in my opinion....

Added 20lbs...

Tried a rep, missed, immediately reset and completed the rep.

Added 10lbs, tried many times and missed.

Dropped back to 150-160lbs....

Was planning on doing a triple like last week, which would be hard enough after the single with the extra 20lbs....

1st rep flew up which was expected, but then the 2nd and 3rd did as well, easy! 4th was hard, I was sweating like a bitch, 5th came pretty easy, 6th was hard as HELL! I stopped there, if I rested for another 4-5 seconds I might have been able to do another, but I didn't want to risk losing form.

I was REALLY happy with doing 6 reps with a weight that had been about my max triple last week. That was also the first time I've really felt cleans somewhere besides my traps. My hammies are killing me today, as well as spine erectors all the way up my back.

After that, shouldered and did some cleans with 107lb bag. Then bearhugged and walked with it to my trampoline and tried some various lifts with in on the trampoline. It was crazy, the weight got heavier or lighter depending on the bounce. Great stuff, barely managed to drag that **** over and put it up, then did wrestler bridge for about 30 seconds.

Erectors are really blowing up now in size, and even my hammies are finally getting big. I think I'm at around 178-180 now in bodyweight.

Meat_Head
04-18-2003, 12:54 PM
I think I'll do a heavy workout tonight. I'm a little worried about tendon/ligament/joint injuries from heavy singles, but I think I'll be able to handle it because of the death sets around my 5r max last week... I'll do this:

Bottom position squats
Work up to a heavy ass single, maybe a double.

Quarter squats
Work up to a triple

DB deadlifts
Work up to a 5 rep max

Leg presses, maybe DB leg curls...

DB clean and press
Maybe triples or 6 rep maxs, work until I wana stop

Probably a DB lateral dropset. Maybe cable laterals to...

Something for arms, thick bar curls, pressdowns, etc...

I'll definately be dead by then, so I'll call it quits.

Meat_Head
04-18-2003, 10:12 PM
Didn't work out tonight. Hopefully I will tomorrow...

Meat_Head
04-21-2003, 10:33 PM
This was fun, tendons/ligaments were a little sore today after the workout, I think all the walking I do at work had something to do with it. Forgot to take chondroitin, will do tomorrow, took asprin though.

Bottom position squats
Starting a little below parallel...

45x1
95x1
145x1
185x1
205x1 Good rep!

Quarter squats
These are done off the safety bars, set down briefly before each rep...

145x3
235x3
305x3
345x3
385x3 Felt good just to be handling heavy weight. Hard set... damn

Tried some dumbell deadlifts, they sucked, so...

Deadlift from knees about knee level

135x5
225x5
275x5 phew pull strength is really weak, good set though. Really hit erectors.

Weighted hyperextensions supersetted with leg curls
Holding 40lb dumbell to upper chest :P x 12 or so holding top position

ran to the leg curl machine

got 100x5
dropped to 80x6 or 7 DAMN my hamstrings

Leg press
250lbs x 7

Then immediately got up and did 10 jumpsquats with bodyweight, jumping as high as I could go.

Drenched in sweat. Lots of pain.

Actually the only time I saw stars was after the first set of deadlifts. Got lucky and didn't barf...

Weight was 178, gotta eat more...

Meat_Head
04-22-2003, 06:54 PM
Yesterdays workout started me off on a new routine I found in Dinosaur Training. Of course I won't follow it perfectly, as I don't do with any routine, for sake of boredom and my personal goals.

In the book the routine is basically based on heavy lowerbody/post. chain movements one day(i.e. squats, deadlifts, cleans, etc.), then 3 or 4 days later in the week upperbody movements(i.e. rows, benchs, OH or bench lockouts, curl and press, OH presses, etc.), and some sandbag work.

There are 2 different lowerbody workouts and 2 different upperbody ones. The first lowerbody workout is supposed to focus on short movement squats and full movement deadlifts. The second is supposed to be full movement squats and short movement deadlifts.

Likewise for the upperbody ones the first day is full movement presses and short movement bench(lockouts or floor press), the second is short movement presses and full benches, and rows stay the same of course.

I'm altering it to a legs/push/pull split basically, all based on heavy strength movements, with some supplemental work for hypertrophy :P I also won't take deadlifts below my knees for fear of hurting my back again, but I'll probably keep cleans full movement. Always 2 or 3 days rest between workouts.

Day 1:
Bottom position squats(singles)
Quarter squats(triples)
Deadlifts from knees(5x5)

Maybe hyperextensions and leg curls
Maybe leg press and jump squats, or other quad exercises
Maybe bearhug and walk with sandbag

Day 2:
DB clean and press(3 heavy sets)
Floor presses from rack(singles)
Possible bench press lockouts(triples)

Maybe tricep work
Maybe laterals
Maybe pushups or some other kind of chest work
Maybe sandbag clean and press

Day 3:
BB rows or DB rows
Pulldowns or weighted pullups
Nautilus pullover dropset
Thick BB curls

Day 4:
Parallel squats(5x5)
Quarter squats
Cleans(5x5, singles, or triples)

Optional quad and ham or bag work

Day 5:
Slight incline DB press(3 heavy sets)
Bench press lockouts(singles or triples)
BB OH press from forehead level(in power rack, singles or triples or 5x5)
Wide low cable bench presses(cause I love how these kill my pecs ;))

Maybe tricep work
Probably a lateral raise dropset
Maybe bag work

Day 6:
Likely the same as day 3

Ab and oblique work is done at school a couple times a week, as is calve work.

Forearms and grip are worked sometime during the week also.

Basically, as long as I feel well rested, I'm gonna move on to the next day. If I start feeling weak, overtrained, or sick I'll get more rest or take a break for a week or so. Hoping to put on alot of weight during this routine to. Don't know or care how long I'll stick with it.

I think I'll do workout 2 tonight. GOTTA GET MORE SLEEP!

Meat_Head
04-23-2003, 12:58 PM
DB clean and press
20x5
30x5
40x5
40x5
50x3.5

Floor press in rack
45x1
115x1
205x1
225x1
245x.5
235x.5
230x1

Bench press lockouts
135x3
225x3
295x3

Some supersets of front and normal machine shoulder presses...
Lateral raise dropset... 25x6, 15x5, 5x7

Incline DB press 60x6, 40x8

Meat_Head
04-26-2003, 01:53 PM
Mason style rows
Worked up to 175x3, and 175x6 setting the weight on the floor for a second between reps. I really liked these, they felt more natural.

Weighted pullups, BW+20 x 2.5, BW+10x2.5, BWx3

Nautilus pullover dropset...

Padded barbell curls
45x1
85x1
105x1!!! Missed it the first try, tried again cheating and pulled it up, took about 5 seconds to do it though
85x2, no way I could do more

Later that night I went in my backyard and found a big old cement steppingstone that used to be in our yard. I think it weighs about 140-180lbs and is in the shape of a rhombus, completely flat on one side and rough cement and rocks on the other, about 3 inches thick and 2 feet long. I had a fun time trying to clean it(impossible as of now) and deadlifting it. I deadlifted it and set it on my knees and tried to get to where I could hold it like a hussefel stone(World's Strongest Man) but it hurt my forearms too much, I had no padding. Ended up holding it in a curl type position or however I could without killing myself and walking around with it or throwing it around. Felt great! My forearms/thighs/back/hands were all torn up, muscles and skin lol

Meat_Head
04-26-2003, 02:02 PM
Clean and press
45x3
95x3
135x1 + push press
155x1 no press
155x.5
135x2 + 1 push press

DB incline press
Tried 70's, almost got one rep. But I was really happy because I cleaned the dumbells with no problem whatsoever, whereas a week or so ago I couldn't clean them no matter how hard I tried.

60x7.5
60x4.5
60x4 + wide/low cable bench press dropset

OH rack presses From a little above forehead
45x3
95x3
145x1
145x1

WOW I seriously thought on both of those singles that I was gonna pass out. Got tunnel vision ;)

Front/side/back lateral raise superset
15x8 front, 6 side, 4 back

Luckily the only people in the weightroom today were 2 old ladies and a curl/crunch jockey, I think they were too scared of someone actually working hard to complain about all the noise I was making

My chest and back are finally growing. 3-4 couple months ago all you could see on my upperchest was the small outline of ribs and my collar bone. Now theres ribbons of muscle stretching across ;):D

Budiak
04-26-2003, 02:41 PM
You lift on a trampoline??

Wild!

Meat_Head
04-26-2003, 07:07 PM
lol it was just a random idea I got. Whenever I look for something to finish off my workout to kill me like that it always ends up being crazy, i.e. trampoline or throwing rocks around... seems to work though!

Budiak
04-26-2003, 07:50 PM
Thought it sounds extremely dangerous, and as stupid as doing squats whilst atop a swiss ball, I just hope you know what you're doing.

There are a lot of rocks around where I live. Big landscaping rocks, and I've been thinking of going and picking them up and walking with them like them strongmen does. Your thoughts?

Meat_Head
04-26-2003, 08:29 PM
Squats atop a swiss ball... not quite...

Keep in mind that I'm not jumping around or throwing heavy things around randomly. I used the trampoline to involve more stabilizers making the movement basically full body, I was also sure to keep it safe, no extreme rounding of the back, knees turning in, etc...

And its all done when I'm thoroughly warmed up and stretched.

As for your last comment, just because you don't understand or have never tried a type of lifting doesn't mean that its useless or stupid. Give it a try, maybe you'll be suprised. I know I am, so if you don't have anything productive to say, stay out.

Budiak
04-26-2003, 10:40 PM
Ummm...I'm actually dead serious about the rocks, duder. You're the only one here who seems to do this type of stuff so I wanted to know where I should start or if there really isnt a starting point; the only way to get into it is to just grab a rock and lift.
I dont know how that came out as insulting.

I dont think anything you do is really stupid. The trampoline is questionable but lifting big rocks and tires is how they find out who the strongest man in the world is so there must be some validity in its exercise.

kook
04-26-2003, 10:58 PM
booya.... i love the **** you do.. and me and budiak are the only who post in here.. and we're the looniest of the bunch.. im learning stuff from you and im older than you!!! im the next strong man?!????? nooo your the next strong man?????!! wait no im drunk :confused: anyways.. keep on keepin on........

Budiak
04-26-2003, 11:00 PM
****!! I'll take what he's havin'!

kook
04-26-2003, 11:02 PM
HEINEKEN!!!!!!

just lot's of it

Budiak
04-26-2003, 11:11 PM
*Budiak appears in the room wearing a conquistodor's armor

I claim the Journal in the name...of SPAM!!!

*digs flag into ground

*beams brightly

kook
04-26-2003, 11:13 PM
yes yes..as dubiak says.. we are spammin your nourjal... but we have the best of intentions......

*drinks some mo*

Meat_Head
04-27-2003, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by Budiak
Ummm...I'm actually dead serious about the rocks, duder. You're the only one here who seems to do this type of stuff so I wanted to know where I should start or if there really isnt a starting point; the only way to get into it is to just grab a rock and lift.
I dont know how that came out as insulting.

I dont think anything you do is really stupid. The trampoline is questionable but lifting big rocks and tires is how they find out who the strongest man in the world is so there must be some validity in its exercise.

My bad mate, jumped the gun. I apologize.

If the rocks are close enough to where you live or want to work out, try to get ones of different sizes and weights. Alter your schedule so you always get adequate rest between an odd object lifting day and regular barbell/db days, at least 1 day rest before the odd object lifting day and 2 days after before going back to regular workouts. You can do a heavy rock/object workout once a week or once every 2 weeks, or you can work specific rock lifts into your regular schedule.

For example, if you have a posterior chain day, or a day that you do heavy deadlifts or squats, you could go do cleans with a lighter rock or bearhug a rock and walk with it till it falls. You'll find with bearhugs at first that just getting the rock to a position where you can hug it and walk is a workout. Rocks are alot different than sandbags. You drop a sandback on your foot, or fall over or something, you might get some bruises and be sore, but that you can deal with. You drop a heavy rock on yourself and you can be maimed for life, or at the least, you'll break bones, so BE CAREFUL. Always wear steeltoe boots to ;)

Just try different things with the rocks. For lighter ones, throw them as high or far as you can, in whatever manner you want. I guarantee your olympic lifts will improve :) along with others! Cleans are an option depending on the rock shape and size. If you can't clean it, you may be able to shoulder it. You can try overhead presses with them to, OH presses with rocks are CRAZY, and will quite frankly beat the **** out of you! Just be sure you don't drop one on your head.

Start a little light, learn the exercises and how you're gonna do them. Always warm up, warm up more than your comfortably or normally would. And work on your whole body flexibility, especially your glutes/hams/quads/calves. Anytime you go heavy use a belt.

If you find a rock that is heavy yet small, you and try grip exercises with it, just hold on to it and run or walk or stand until you can't hold it anymore.

Gym bunnies and many normal lifters will think you're crazy and stupid usually. That's part of why I misunderstood you. Ignore their comments. A few are always interested in what the hell you're doing, and hey, recruit as many as ya can! Most people in the gyms today really need the help...

http://brookskubik.com
http://strongerman.com

Go to those sites and their links for more info

Meat_Head
04-27-2003, 10:28 PM
yes yes..as dubiak says.. we are spammin your nourjal... but we have the best of intentions......

*drinks some mo*

Then have at it! And pass dat ****!

Budiak
04-28-2003, 02:38 AM
Hmmmmmm....sounds kinky indeed.

I guess I'll be able to put those steel toed Doc Martins to good use!

I guess just lifting the damn thing will be enough for a bit, and as for throwing- apparently the 56lb block throw is part of the Highland games, they just throw the thing straight up as high as possible.

Word.

Meat_Head
04-28-2003, 01:50 PM
:thumbup: :D

Just got back from the gym. I'm way too dead to write what I did yet, but for now just know that its been 40 minutes since the workout and I'm still sweating and I'm still nauseated....

I LOVE SQUATS!

GhettoSmurf
04-28-2003, 07:48 PM
good job, cant wait to see the workout! :)

Meat_Head
04-28-2003, 09:17 PM
K, I've decided I want to focus on getting a 405lb squat from bottom position on the safety bars, cuz 4 plates on both sides just looks so cool......

Anyways I'm going about this by using 405lbs and doing quarter squats, and lowering the safety bars a hole whenever I can. It may take 2 or 3 or 4 weeks to lower it a hole when I get to the lower ones. But for now it should move kinda fast.

Quarter squats
45x5
135x5
225x7
315x5
405x1

I set the safety bars a hole lower, adding 2-3 inches of movement.

405x2 singles
Did the first one and rested till I felt I could do another, probably 45 seconds rest between them. I was DEAD! I'm mean whole body fried!

Way to fried to do deadlifts....

Leg press supersetted with jump squats
290x8 or 9 reps + 10 jumps

PAIN!

Hyperextensions SS w/ leg curls
60lbsx10 and 110x5 drop 80x7

Managed to get home somehow. Took chondroitin again and asprin, my connective tissue is getting used to it, hardly and knee problems today, or back come to think of it. My back was bothering me before the workout, but its felt good ever since.

Also, earlier at school I did hammer curls. 50x3, 40x5, 25x15x2

After the leg workout I did a grip workout with the tennis balls, squeezed hard as possible for 10 seconds, rested for 10, squeezed for 20, rested for 10, then one for 30 seconds. Did that twice, then did explosive squeezes. That damn ball really kills my hands and fingers!

Bacon and cheese sandwiches = great weight gain

Meat_Head
04-28-2003, 09:35 PM
The safety bars today were on the 12th hole from the top. Will go for 13th the next time I do that workout again....

Tank23
04-29-2003, 03:31 AM
hey xMeatHeadx,
I find some of the stuff you do is quite interesting. Keep up the good work man.

-Tank

Meat_Head
04-29-2003, 01:51 PM
Threw around the big rock in my backyard again last night. Did lots of deadlifts, and deadlifting it, setting it on my knees, and bearhugging it with one arm and steading it with the other, and walked with it. Then I would rest for 30 seconds or so and do it again, except I'd just hold it in a mid curl position as high as I could get it, and throw it at the end. Then I flipped it about 20 feet going forward, then back again. This is alot harder because it is diamond shaped and I balanced it on the sharp point instead of the flat side while I pulled it over. DESTROYED anything that was left of my quads, hams, glutes, and lowerback. Especially glutes and lowerback, jeeeez!

I have a cardio day in weightlifting now. Not really worried about it, the conditioning will be good, I'll just have to increase cals.

Today at school I did a 1/4 mile run, 2 sprints both with 50 jumping jacks at the end, 2 sets of depth explosive pushups, low and hard, and 2 sets of jump squats.

Meat_Head
04-29-2003, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Tank23
hey xMeatHeadx,
I find some of the stuff you do is quite interesting. Keep up the good work man.

-Tank

Thanks man! Lets just say my workouts are never boring :)

Meat_Head
04-30-2003, 12:14 PM
Got bored in weightlifting today and we had a sub, so I thought what the hell... Did some actual lifting today:

DB clean and push press
60x 3 singles
65x1 BARELY got it

Plyo-ball incline DB press
These are alot easier on a ball...
60x10
60x10
60x10

Both of those exercises were supersetted....

There was a competition to see who could leg press the most. My pride made me get in on it even though I did heavy squats 2 days ago and sprints yesterday.

Got 450x1
500x1
550x1 barely
600x1 Came a little low and had a little help from a spotter at the bottom, but got the rep

There was only one guy in the class who did more. He got 550 for 4 reps, but he's a hoss, about 30-40lbs heavier than me. Needless to say, I was fairly pleased, even though 600 is a pretty sad weight for leg pressing :(

Meat_Head
04-30-2003, 08:08 PM
**** **** **** **** ****!

I asked for it again dammit!

I had a steaming desire to workout hard today.

Power cleans
45x3
135x2
155x2
rest for 1 minute
155x1.5

Mason style BB rows
95x5
145x5
185x7, 6th rep form was totally fooked up. Shoulda ended it there, did the 7th and what do ya know, pain shoots up my erectors. Same old strain from last year got tweaked again, and I have no excuse. I need to get to a real gym and find a GOOD support row machine. Once my post. chain gets better and alot stronger, I might do yates style rows.

Right now it hurts to bend over at all. After a good nights rest I'll be able to bend without unbearable pain, but still of course I'll take it easy for a while, its not the first time this has happened and likely not the last. I'm thinking at least 1.5-2 weeks before this'll be totally better, so I'll take a much needed break from post. chain training till then. Will still work on seated and bench presses, and weighted pullups and pulldowns.

If anyone has any advice, I'd appreciate it.

Well, despite my unfortunate position, I had a good workout. Traps are fried, as is lowerback(obviously), and lats I think.

kook
04-30-2003, 09:36 PM
if your lower back is hurting.. maybe it wasn't the bb rows that did it.. maybe the deads.. if you have the weight.. in your case rocks and houses and such too far away from you when lifting it, it will destroy your lower back, you might not feel it that day, but the bb rows may have just f'd it enought so that you could feel it now, just a thought..

Budiak
04-30-2003, 10:28 PM
I think it was the pushpresses.

Sometimes when I do heavy upright rows I stress a muscle in my lower back due to the cheating motions. I've never hurt my back doing the big 3, good mornings, or anything. One day I did pushpresses and...lets just say my lower back never forgot about it.

If you're sure it is a muscle and not your spine I'd say not to worry about it. Get some icy/hot, bengay ultra, thermalgesic, or any other topical pain reliever. Throw that **** on your lower back and feel the burn.

Take a few warm baths with epsom salts, and dont forget to get a ****load of sleep. MORE SLEEP!!!

Where the hell do you live anyways? My dad lives in the boonies in Vacaville and he has all kinds of hay around. Well, he always tells me to drag hay over here, or whatever, when it is FAR more beneficial and safer for me to just heft it with hay hooks instead of dragging. Parents just dont understand.

Meat_Head
05-01-2003, 11:56 AM
Fort Worth, Tejas

It wasn't pushpresses, the weight I use isn't nearly heavy enough to strain my back again, it was the rows. They're the worst thing I've done so far for my back, and I was cheating and using too much weight. I've been doing powercleans and standing and pushpresses and deadlifts etc for months with none of the old problems, but only rows in that style for 2 weeks.

Feels alot better today. Yesterday was pretty horrible. If I'm lucky, I should be fine by next wednesday. Will continue with hot baths and extra sleep. Got to sleep until 9:30 today, and will tomorrow, so theres an extra 2 or 3 hours.

At school today got a good ab workout in. Did about 6 or 7 sets of prestretch crunches on a plyoball with 25 and 10 lb plates then an EZ curl bar with 40 lbs. If anyone wants to try a good ab exercise, take a medicine ball or just a bar, get on a decline situp platform thing and situp half way through the movement, so your upperbody is at about a 45 degree angle to the ground. If you have a medicine ball, throw it above you and catch it on your chest about 30 times, you should be dead by then if you have a heavy enough ball. If you have a bar, just hold that position and press the bar up and down however many times. Phew, did one set of that.

Meat_Head
05-01-2003, 08:52 PM
Floor press These were actually a tiny bit higher than upper arms being parallel to the floor, maybe an inch or so at the elbows...

45x5
135x5
225x3
275x1 with hands wide, then tried a rep at a normal grip and missed it, so I won't really count this set.
245x3
1st and 2nd rep flew up. Third rep, the bar wouldn't budge from the safety bars until after about 5 seconds of pushing, then it went slow until at the top 2-3 inches.

At this point a guy about 130lbs with a goatee and a sleeveless shirt that said something like 'powerhouse' walked up to me:

Mini'hulk hogan'me:"What are those called?"

Me:"Floor presses."

Mini'hulk hogan'me:"What are they?"

Me:"Basically a short movement bench press."

Mini'hulk hogan'me: (at the word 'bench press' he seemed to get very excited and giddy)"What part of the chest do they work? I really need to hit my inner today!"

Me: (trying VERY hard not to hit the floor laughing)"They don't...."

Mini'hulk hogan'me:"Then.... why do you do them then?"

Me:"To get stronger...."

*Me walks away*

Incline dumbell press
60x8 Had to clean these from the floor, did it with a belt just incase, felt no back pain.
50x5.5

Low wide cable presses
60x7 or 8 with a negative on the last rep done like a regular cable fly

drop set:
60x4
40x8 fly negative
Pushups, kind of wide hand placement, done from chest resting on the floor with a semi slow negative, I think I got about 5 or 6, pecs were fried.

Seated dumbell shoulder press
40x5.5
Didn't do anymore since I did pushpresses yesterday

Machine shoulder presses
40x6
80x.5
60x7
Drop set:
60x4 switched to parallel bars and...
40x7

Lateral raises
Dropset:
25x6
20x5
15x5
10x6

PAIN!

Considered doing pushdowns, but left there...

I'm changing my diet some. Taking out most sugar, aside from a few fruits. It will be focused on meat or high protein foods, leafy veggies, and high vitamin fruits. Basically low carb high protein. Carbs aren't going to be extremely low though, just lower than normal. I want to burn some fat on this, but hopefully stay above 175lbs. Weighed in at 178lbs today.

Budiak
05-01-2003, 10:11 PM
Dude it doesnt sound to me to be the rows.

If you clean two 65lb dumbells thats 130lbs. Those rows are only 50lbs heavier-on the heaviest set- than your clean, which is a much more 'dangerous' movement than some Mason rows.

You'd be surprised at the crap i constantly hear skinny guys with no strength telling girls at the gym. Its all about upper/middle/lower chest to them..yet...they lack both size, strength, and knowledge of training.

See I dont know about Tejas, but where I come from, skinny weak assholes dont give ****ty information out to people who dont want it.
But thats just me.

Meat_Head
05-02-2003, 11:54 AM
I was doing rows when the injury occured. Its not something that you realize after a few workouts, it was strained on the 6th and 7th rep of rows.

I've never had a problem with cleans, and I can clean about 160lbs on a barbell so cleaning 60lb dumbells isn't that bad.

The way I was doing barbell rows was basically a stiff legged deadlift then row from the weight resting on the floor, except my upperbody didn't come above maybe 45 degrees to the floor. Its a dangerous movement for someone who's had a lowerback injury, and I should have never done them. They're more dangerous than cleans because I start with my upperbody bent over below parallel, keeping my back flat as best I can, then kind of exploding up. Cleans are no more dangerous than deadlifts when done correctly.

Meat_Head
05-06-2003, 12:12 PM
Did somethin kinda crazy sunday. Wasn't meant to be a workout but it became one...

I was swimming and we found a big inflatable ball, about 3 feet in diameter, and decided to fill it with water. It was pretty cool, but it took forever, and we took it out every once and a while to play around with it. When it was finally filled all the way, I tried to push it out of the hot tub into the pool. The hottub we were filling it in was about 5 feet above the pool so we had to roll it over the edge into the pool. But I couldn't budge it at all, so I called 2 of the guys over. We tried for about half an hour deadlifting it, pushing it with our legs, everything, and couldn't get it out. Finally, I got under it in the hottub and essentially squatted it while the other guys deadlifted, and after about a minute of that we finally got it over. I think it splashed about half the water in the pool out. It must have weighed about 400lbs lol, cause think about it, I was putting about 200-300lbs of force on it squatting, and they were deadlifting it which is plus at least 200-300, and we barely got it over. When we finally got it over we were really happy, but then stopped to think about what the point of the whole thing was, and went in :rolleyes:

Anyways lol, last night I did a biceps and forearm workout:

Bar curls, used about 70lbs, failed at 12 reps, and did 8 more reps, resting between them for 5-10 seconds, basically like 20 rep breathing squats. Right after that I did 1 reverse preacher curl with the same weight, then 10 regular wrist curls. Then upped the weight to 90, did 6 reps, then 4 more same way as before.

Strange thing was that my biceps didn't hurt nearly as bad as my hands and fingers after the curls, I guess its cause I was holding the bar for about 3 minutes each set...

Today did cardio stuff at school. 1/4 mile run, 30 jumping jacks, 200 meter sprint, 30 jumping jacks, 200 meter sprint, 30 jumping jacks, ran up and down a hill forwards and backwards 3 times, 3 sets of 15 explosive depth pushups, 2 sets of 10 jumpsquats.

A girl told me she liked my car. I considered asking her if she wanted to see more of the back seat, but this angry mob of circus midgets carried her away for some reason.

kook
05-06-2003, 06:30 PM
nice watter balloon workout!!

Originally posted by xMeat_Headx

A girl told me she liked my car. I considered asking her if she wanted to see more of the back seat, but this angry mob of circus midgets carried her away for some reason.

damn man, i hate when that happens

Meat_Head
05-06-2003, 09:09 PM
nice watter balloon workout!!

damn man, i hate when that happens

I know man! Wtf is up with those midgets, they should just like, get a life or somethin! Damn!!

*angrily beats random old lady*

Meat_Head
05-08-2003, 06:55 PM
Went to the barn last night to workout. Back was feeling pretty good so I decided to do cleans.

Warmed up with sandbag deadlifts, then deadlifts with 90lbs.

Powercleans
80-90x6

Was gonna try to do something like a 20 rep breathing squat set with powercleans. It got a little messed up, but went somethin like this:

140x10, 1st 5 reps with about 2-3 seconds rest between reps, last 5 reps with about 4-5 seconds rest between sets.

On the 11th rep the weights fell off cause I have no collars in the barn, so I quickly threw em back on and added 10lbs.

Was gonna try to get 10 more with 150, but it was taking me about 20 seconds rest between reps, so I cut down the rest time and managed to pull out 5 reps.

After that, I was literally standing in a puddle of my own sweat and felt like I had just sprinted 2 miles. Grabbed the 100lb sandbag and went outside and did 1 clean and almost press. Rested for a minute or 2 and tried another, missed the clean, wrestled it up to my knees, then to my stomach, and finally shoulders, didn't come close to pressing it, carried it back in and threw it down. I was definately done....

All of that was done without a belt. I think for cleans and sandbag work, until I get into heavier weights(200+) I'm not going to use one unless my erectors start to get tweaked. I really like the results I'm getting. I looked in the mirror after the workout and was really suprised. 3 or 4 months ago, I had nothing for erectors, I mean NOTHING! Now when I bend over they fling out, really starting to get that snake crawling up my spine look. Same thing with my traps, but they've always been big thanks to genetics, now they're just starting to get ridiculous :clap: I don't understand why anyone would EVER leave olympic lifting out of their training program.

Budiak
05-09-2003, 12:30 AM
Dude I had a revelation.

Cement.

Check it.

What weighs 50lbs and costs 1.49? Give up? CEMENT! DUH!

Man..50lbs sack of the ****. If I want I could also build a little form and cast 50lb or larger sized blocks. Hell, if you want you could bend some rebar with a torch (or bare hands if you're up to it) and basically make a brick to practice for the Highland Games with.

Dude. I'm such a ****ing genius. Almost indestructible, weather resistant, easily replaceable.

Meat_Head
05-09-2003, 03:29 PM
Awesome, I'll have to look into that.

I can't wait to do fookin squats on monday, its been 2 weeks!

I think I'll be getting a trap deadlift bar in 2 or 3 weeks for my birthday, I can't wait! Oh man 20 reppers with that are gonna be so good.... :drooling:

Top 10 barbell/dumbell weightlifting movements for strength and mass:

1. Squats! Any kind, any ROM as long as its heavy and hard... best are heavy singles, doubles, triples, and 20 rep death sets

2. Any kind of clean or high pull

3. Any kind of deadlift, regular, rack pulls, trap bar, etc... heavy singles, doubles, triples, and 20 rep death sets

4. Overhead presses, any kind, lockouts, pushpress, dumbell, etc...

5. Any kind of snatch or snatch pull

6. Any kind of bench press, lockouts, floor press, dumbell, etc...

7. Any kind of bent over row, yates, dumbell, support bent overs, etc...

8. Any kind of pullup or pulldown

9. Heavy leg press

10. Barbell curls of any kind, cheat, thick bar, strict, etc...

In that order.

Of course any sandbag work would be up close to number 1, but when it comes to barbells and dumbells those 10 are basically all you'll ever need to become huge and strong. Doing all of those with a 3 inch thick non-revolving bar would add even more development of overall strength and power, and give you a set of damn big forearms to :)

Will probably work out tonight or tomorrow, heavy floor presses, dumbell inclines, pullups, dumbell rows, and pullovers.

The most important muscle groups to develop for most strength sports are in this order:

1. Core, especially spinal erectors

2. Hamstrings

3. Glutes

4. Traps

5. Hands and forearms(grip)

6. Quads

7. Delts

8. Pecs

9. Lats

10. Calves

11. Tris

12. Bis

If you're involved in strongman competition, your bis would be much higher up on the list, as well as calves.

That's my take on things at least, seems pretty accurate :)

Meat_Head
05-10-2003, 10:10 PM
Yesterday....

Warmed up with 1 minute sprint at 80% maximum effort.

DB push presses
20x3
40x3
60x1
70x0 ****, not even close
60x1.5 Didn't quite get second rep

Barbell overhead press The bar was resting on the safety bars at about chin level I think...

45x5
95x1
115x1.5 Took about 6 seconds to complete the rep
95x3

Floor press Same amount of movement as last week
45x5
135x5
225x0 Couldn't budge it. Sat very confused for a few minutes, then figure out that the bars were set a level too low :rolleyes:
225x3
275x1!! Nailed it this week

DB incline press
60x3
70x0 ****IN HELL!! When is this gonna go!!! I need 65's...
60x7

DB bench supported rows
40x5
60x7

REALLY liked these. They'll be a good replacement for regular bent overs.

Pullups
Just used bodyweight cuz I'm weak.

Wide palms out x 6 or 7
Rested 30 seconds
Narrow palms out x 3 + negative
Rested 30 secs
Narrow palms in x 1+1 forced and negative
Rested 30 secs
Wide palms in x 1+2 forced and negative
Rested 30 secs
Parallel narrow x 2.5 + negative

Loved it. Will hopefully add some weight in time. My lats are killin me today.

kook
05-10-2003, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by xMeat_Headx

[
DB incline press
60x3
70x0 ****IN HELL!! When is this gonna go!!! I need 65's...
60x7

hey.. just buy some 2.5 lb wrist weights...then u aint gotta waste so much money on some new db's.....

Meat_Head
05-11-2003, 10:16 PM
Side

Meat_Head
05-11-2003, 10:17 PM
Front bi

Meat_Head
05-11-2003, 10:18 PM
Forearm

Meat_Head
05-11-2003, 10:18 PM
Chest/gyno

Meat_Head
05-11-2003, 10:19 PM
Calves

Meat_Head
05-11-2003, 10:19 PM
quad

Meat_Head
05-11-2003, 10:20 PM
back

Meat_Head
05-11-2003, 10:20 PM
trap

Meat_Head
05-11-2003, 10:22 PM
better front bi

RG570
05-11-2003, 10:28 PM
Your looking a bit slim there. Crazy pounages for how you look. Im sure you shock the sh3it out of everybody in your gym. Are you currently bulking?

Meat_Head
05-11-2003, 11:20 PM
Yes, I'm actually aiming for around 200 sometime this year at about the bodyfat I have now. Maybe crazy, but I think I can accomplish or come close to it, so I won't look so thin ;) I have recieved some stares, but I think its moreso because I'm dripping sweat and making all kinds of jungle noises than because I'm lifting suprising weights for my size. I think its a sin in my gym to work hard....

I would say I'm alot stronger than I used to be, more stronger than bigger, but I wouldn't say my strength overrides my size, probably the opposite. I mean, when you look at guys like Saxon, who was only 210, yet could annihilate almost any lifter today, even the guys in the 250-350lb range, a 405 1/2th squat isn't impressive, and neither is a 160lb powerclean, and a 65lb dumbell pushpress is downright embarassing. Some of my lifts need to be about 2-3 times stronger before I could even consider calling myself truely strong. And as for my bodyweight, I'm not worried about how thin I am right now. Wether 140 or 180, by this time next year I will be SIGNIFICANTLY bigger and thicker and maybe even leaner. How do I know this? Because I bust my ass, like any successful lifter!

Meat_Head
05-11-2003, 11:22 PM
One last one, for comparison, this was me about 6 or 7 months ago.... at 155-160lbs

Budiak
05-12-2003, 04:22 AM
First off, you do look like you've gained weight, and you need a ****ing haircut.
Second, you are strong for your size. I am strong as well, but not for my weight, I am quite strong for my size. I know guys at the gym who have got to weigh near what I do with lower bodyfat but lift similar or lower weights than I do. I have what...15, 15.5 inch biceps. I curl 115 for reps(4 reps, I have gone 95 for 8 reps). The other guys who curl that much or close to it have closer to 17, 18 inch arms. My back is nice but its not enormously enormous. I've got the strongest back at the gym.

You shouldnt worry about that crap though. Screw what you look like. Worry about what you can do. Challenge a bodybuilder or curl jockey to a feat of strength if he gets in your face. I'd say 8/10 will take you up on it and you school him. The other two will say 'I dont care about strength' and you in turn respect him for it, though you may hate him.
The funny thing about curl jockeys is however obsessed they get with their looks they always worry about their strength as well. This is where it gets good. You know what I'm talking about.

Finally, I highly disagree with your placement of a few things in the pantheon of muscles for strength sports.
Core, number one. You cant do **** if the weight causes you to buckle.
Then you go nuts. Second would be hams and then quads but you know what? Your legs done mean **** if you cant hold on to the weights. GRIP takes second.
Hams third. Close victory over...
...Quads because hams are used more for standing and walking than quads.
Asscheeks. Cant stand up without them, cant stack boulders without them.
Traps. Without these the 325lb farmers walk would tear your arms right off.

everything else is useless. In fact, with the muscles I listed, you could win WSM completely without biceps, triceps, delts, etc. You dont need that **** at all. You could save money on food, too.

Meat_Head
05-12-2003, 12:50 PM
I lift to look better as well as be freakishly strong. I don't really like guys who lean too much in either direction, unless its for a specific kind of competition, i.e. powerlifting/olympics. I've figured out how easy it is to incorporate both size and strength training into my program, and while I focus on strength you'll see me doing plenty of supersets/burnouts etc. to, and as a result I'm staying relatively symmetric and am growing while getting stronger. I don't want to be huge without being strong, and I don't want to be strong without being huge. I'd love to compete in any kind of strength/bodybuilding competition as a heavyweight.

I think grip should be placed where it was on my list lol. The average human being has a very strong grip, although not incredible strength. He can grasp most surfaces enough to hold the weight for the time needed to do a rep most of the time. Most people don't experience problems with progression due to lack of grip strength until they're getting into the 300-400lb+ strength range in SLDL's, deadlifts, and other heavy lifts where you grasp the bar. Until then, your posterior chain will be what's holding you back.

Quads and glutes can go either way depending on your build. For me, I tend to bend at the hips more than the knees on most lifts and my glutes therefore become much more important.

Sorry bud, but I think I have to completely disagree with you on the statement about winning WSM. Those competitors have HUGE arms and shoulders, on of the most noticable things about them. Try to do the lifts they do, and your bis tris and shoulders will be thoroughly worked along with the rest of your body. Any press involves alot of triceps and shoulders, and carrying or rowing anything kills biceps. While traps, post. chain and core may be much more important, if you lack strength in any large major muscle group it will show in your performance. This is part of why I work my curls so hard, although I don't do as much tricep work as I should =/.

Since I have no trap bar, I'm going to try doing deadlifts with 2 ez curl bars on each side of me tomorrow. It'll be pretty much the same movement, and with 45's on each side I shouldn't have to bend over too much and potentially hurt my back.

Meat_Head
05-12-2003, 06:51 PM
Did my little EZ curl bar experiment today...

Warmed up then...

EZ curl bar deadlifts
Put 45's on each side, a total of 110lbs in each hand, 220 total...

220x1
220x3
220x20 rep death set. It went somethin like 1 rep, rest 3 seconds, another rep, rest, another, rest, 3 reps, rest, 5 reps, rest, rep, rest, rep, rest, 2 reps, rest, 1 rep, rest, 4 reps, fall over.

I was freaking dead. Something I found interesting about this exercise was how much stabilizer help it required, especially my delts and rotar cuffs and forearms, cause occasionally the bar would start leaning to one direction and I'd have to slowly pull it back to the regular form in the middle of a rep. I don't think my delts have ever felt so worked from something thats not direct shoulder work. Fried my whole lower body VERY well.

After that did:
Narrow palms out pullups: BWx3
rest 30 seconds
Parallel grip pullups: BWx1.5+negative
rest 30
Palms in narrow grip pullups: BWx1.5+negative

RG570
05-13-2003, 01:52 AM
wow that ezbar deadlift thing sounds nuts... i have been thinking about ways to use an ezbar to make my workouts more interesting, but thats something i never would have thought of.

Budiak
05-13-2003, 03:01 AM
Sorry bud, but I think I have to completely disagree with you on the statement about winning WSM. Those competitors have HUGE arms and shoulders, on of the most noticable things about them. Try to do the lifts they do, and your bis tris and shoulders will be thoroughly worked along with the rest of your body. Any press involves alot of triceps and shoulders, and carrying or rowing anything kills biceps.

Ok, you're just talking out of inexperience. I will put 5000 dollars on a skeleton with no bicep muscles, no tricep or delts, yet a very powerful back and posterior chain. Bring your checkbook. He'd destroy the Kaz. He'd ruin Coan.

He will completely change strength sports forever.

As for grip, we're not talking about a couple guys who go to the gym on the weekend and bang out curls. These guys are doing farmers walks, for 250 feet or more, with implements weighing over 300lbs PER ARM. I dont know about you but my back and posterior chain strength quickly outgrew my grip strength, and by quickly I mean after I started deads, it was only about 4 months before I needed straps because I couldnt hold on to ****. I do have lousy arm genetics but I am seriously fearing even my next max dead attempt without straps and I'm only going for about 420-425.

Grip though...it also depends on the competition. If it involves a lot of pulling or stacking grip wont mean as much as one where you need to do a lot of farmers walks, walks while holding up a VW, or tire flipping.

You got off easy on this one...until my super skeleton takes the stage.

RG570
05-13-2003, 10:38 AM
idiot... there are events that are basically pushpresses. not that back isnt important, or more important, but no muscle is useless.

Meat_Head
05-13-2003, 10:58 AM
There are a variety of events in WSM, well over twenty, and I would say at least 1/4 to 1/3 of them are doing some kind of press/pushpress/jerk. If you don't have shoulders or tri power, you're screwed. If you're doing a carrying or rowing event and you dont have bicep power, you're screwed. These events are made to test FULL BODY strength, not posterior chain strength alone. Do you think wrestling a 300lb ball of rock to your chest and pressing it overhead onto a platform involves no biceps, triceps, or deltoids?

Any WSM competitor or champion has extremely good development from head to toe, with nothing left out.

About my top 10 list, ALL of those were to be exercised in the extreme, I was just saying which should be focused on most. I never said you should train posterior chain then ignore grip. In addition to that, most good exercises will test both, involving a strong grip to complete the movement, and as you progress in one muscle group, you progress in the other. If you get to doing deadlifts with 400lbs+, you grip will get stronger. Now I agree that your progress may not be as fast, but anyone who is a true strength athlete will have adequate grip strength training in their program, and that DOESN'T mean they train their grip harder than their posterior chain, or anything else I put before grip. It just means they train it the right amount to make it strong enough or stronger to complete whatever kind of lift they are doing.

Today my glutes are KILLING me, along with my delts and forearms. I'm thinking my back, hams, and quads will be sore later.

Meat_Head
05-13-2003, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Budiak

Ok, you're just talking out of inexperience. I will put 5000 dollars on a skeleton with no bicep muscles, no tricep or delts, yet a very powerful back and posterior chain. Bring your checkbook. He'd destroy the Kaz. He'd ruin Coan.

Ah another thing I forgot to address. I am not talking out of inexperience. I have DONE many of the WSM events ON MY OWN. I have tried them and for a short time worked with them regularly.

When was the last time you tried cleaning and pressing a stone or bag, or rowing a car up your driveway, or carrying a heavy stone around hussefel style? What about zercher lifts?

Give them a try, it will be no picnic for any muscle in your body...

kook
05-13-2003, 12:05 PM
i agree with budiak about his freakish skeleton man

but.. and this is bigger than j.lo's butt, the upper arm and forearm would need some angle iron attached so that your elbow wouldnt be able to bend whatsoever,

but since i dont have steel welded onto my skeleton(yet) i hate to admit it but meathead is right