PDA

View Full Version : what is carbs????

NO2
03-16-2003, 07:35 PM
well if im gonna be stupid, better make it good..;)

ive been putting posts up everywere..as soon as i write one i get another question...

whats carbs...sugar???
why do we need carbs???

i dont eat veggies..should i start??

is it important to eat fish?..i never eat fish..am i missing out??

i need help to start on the health track
whats good to eat??

ummmm thats it for now..no doubt ill think of more to ask:)

MrWebb78
03-16-2003, 07:40 PM
what you need is a library card, go check out some books, or do a search here

Behemoth
03-16-2003, 07:41 PM
Carbs are a source of calories. Contibuting to 4 calories per each gram of carbs. If you look at nutrition facts for a food it will list how many carbs they have.

Carbs are an important part of your diet, others could go in depth here. Some carbs are better than others... sugars are bad. You want to consume complex low GI foods... like whole wheat products, oats, sweet potatoes, brown rice. Some fruits are quality.

Yes veggies are great things to eat, good source of fiber.

It's not so much important if you eat fish, but make sure you eat protein too, fish is an excellent source of protein.

Also don't forget to eat unsaturated fats... like olive oil, natural peanut butter, and egg yolks.

Ironman8
03-16-2003, 07:48 PM
Carbs are used as energy during excercise or anything else for that matter. When you eat carbs, it gets stored in your liver as glycogen. When you excercise, that's the primary fuel.

There are complex and simple carbs. Complex carbs are found in bread, wheat, veggies, etc. Simple carbs are, well, sugar. They both get stored in you liver equally, but simple carbs spike your insulin levels.

And yes, you should start eat veggies and fruits. Also fish. Fish is high in protein, has essential Omega-3 fatty acids, as well as poly and mono saturated fats (the good fats). Veggies and fruits contain alot of fiber, needed to maintain healthy cholesterol levels, ward away cancers and heart disease, etc.

And what do you eat right now. Post it and I'll see if it needs changes.

bradley
03-17-2003, 02:33 AM
There are also some good articles about diet on the WBB main page that would be worth reading. Also the interviews section has some good stuff in it as well.

Mystic Eric
03-17-2003, 03:41 AM
Originally posted by Behemoth
Carbs are a source of calories. Contibuting to 4 calories per each gram of carbs. If you look at nutrition facts for a food it will list how many carbs they have.

Carbs are an important part of your diet, others could go in depth here. Some carbs are better than others... sugars are bad. You want to consume complex low GI foods... like whole wheat products, oats, sweet potatoes, brown rice. Some fruits are quality.

Yes veggies are great things to eat, good source of fiber.

It's not so much important if you eat fish, but make sure you eat protein too, fish is an excellent source of protein.

Also don't forget to eat unsaturated fats... like olive oil, natural peanut butter, and egg yolks.

LOL ****! I hope you're wrong about 4 cals per gram of carb... I always counted it as 3?

Silverback
03-17-2003, 03:52 AM
Carbs are 4cals per gram, as is Protein, fat is 9cals and alcohol is 7 :)

Just run a search on sports nutrition on www.google.com you will no doubt find some quality info.

bradley
03-17-2003, 05:49 AM
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17484&highlight=gram+carbohydrate

TCD gives a good analogy about the difference between simple and complex carbs in this thread.

GonePostal
03-17-2003, 06:23 AM
Carbs are sugar but some are higher GI then others.

Shankerr
03-17-2003, 07:55 AM
And to answer your next question, GI stands for glycemic index, which is a measure of how fast a carb will make your blood sugar rise.

Check out this website for some GI lists. (http://www.mendosa.com/gilists.htm)

Mystic Eric
03-17-2003, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Big-Ron
Carbs are 4cals per gram, as is Protein, fat is 9cals and alcohol is 7 :)

Just run a search on sports nutrition on www.google.com you will no doubt find some quality info.

oh sweet!! So I've been taking in a little more cals than I originally thought.

Ironman8
03-17-2003, 04:20 PM
LOL!