PDA

View Full Version : a healthy egg?

mikey4402
03-18-2003, 09:10 AM
this is my first post so please bare with me. this is my first semester at college, and i usaly eat in the caffateria. most days i order 3-4 egg over-easy,becouse it is fast. my question is if i squeeze the yoke out on to my plate (becouse i have been told that the yoke is the unhealty part of the egg). would this make my meal more healthy.

millertime
03-18-2003, 09:17 AM
You were told wrong, most of the eggs protein is in the yolk. Unless you have a cholesterol problem eat the whole egg.

mikey4402
03-18-2003, 09:19 AM
thanks for the help. as you can see im new at the bodybuilding game lol. i look forword to posting again sometime

GonePostal
03-18-2003, 09:26 AM
If your cutting you may want to cut the calories by not eatting the yolk but otherwise eat away. 1/2 the protien is in the yolk i believe.

Relentless
03-18-2003, 09:27 AM
well

the yolk also has all of the fat

so if you're eating enough fat elsewhere you may not need it; the whites are pure protein, but it takes a ****load of 'em to get any decent amount

do your research and learn about food and then you can make your own educated guesses/judgements. To be successful in the iron game takes as much skull sweat as gym sweat.

ElPietro
03-18-2003, 09:38 AM
Yeah I think most of the protien is in the white, not the yoke as stated above.

If you have 4 eggs every single day, I'd say maybe get rid of 2 or 3 yolks. Or one day just have whites and then the next have a few yokes. Eggs are good, but if you include the yolks the cholestorol levels can get pretty high if you are eating 4 of em on a daily basis.

You could just ask for the whites scrambled, and put some squirt some tobasco sauce and some pepper on it. Prolly taste just as good or better.

millertime
03-18-2003, 09:48 AM
"one egg white offers only about 3 grams of protein" an egg has a total of 8 grams of protien, you do the math.

*http://www.physsportsmed.com/issues/1998/07jul/eggs.htm

Also the yolk is rich in iron, zinc, B vitamins including folic acid, and vitamins D and E. While the egg white is mostly water.

ElPietro
03-18-2003, 09:57 AM
Errr sorry my bad, I guess I misinterpreted, but the white is almost entirely protein, where the yolk is mainly fat, although still containing more protein than the white. I'd just sub in two egg whites for every egg yolk you remove and you aren't losing the protein from it, and are eliminating the cholesterol, and saturated fat.

bradley
03-18-2003, 10:28 AM
I would eat a couple of the yolks as well. They are a good source of fat, but I do wonder how much fat he is getting from havin the eggs cooked over easy in the cafeteria. Boiled would probably be iodeal if they prepare them that way. That way you will know exactly how much fat you are getting with each meal.

Manveet
03-18-2003, 10:29 AM
I eat about 6-8 whole eggs everday.

I think I should get my cholesterol checked sometime, lol.

mikey4402
03-18-2003, 12:09 PM
the eggs are cooked on a grill. not the best method...so what your guys are saying is mix it up.have just whites one time then mabey 2 white and 2 yokes another. get the best of both worlds lol

millertime
03-18-2003, 12:11 PM
No, we are saying eat all the eggs you want. But if cholesterol becuase a problem remove some or all of the yolks.

TiGeR AK
03-18-2003, 12:13 PM
i thought they changed the guidelines on cholesterol intake... not all of the cholesterol you eat is actually absorbed by the body... and youre cholesterol level is more determined by genetics, exercise activity, bodyfat, etc...

am i wrong?

restless
03-18-2003, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by TiGeR AK
i thought they changed the guidelines on cholesterol intake... not all of the cholesterol you eat is actually absorbed by the body... and youre cholesterol level is more determined by genetics, exercise activity, bodyfat, etc...

am i wrong?

No, most cholesterol is produced by your liver. Saturated fat and particulary trans and hidrogenated fatty acids can have a negative impact on your cholesterol levels/ratios though.

Ironman8
03-18-2003, 06:17 PM
An egg yolk has about 1.5 grams of saturated fat, so that ain't bad.

Shankerr
03-19-2003, 08:13 AM
Yeah man, just worry about the yolks if you have a cholesterol problem, otherwise just eat the whole thing! i eat between 6 and 12 whole eggs a day myself. When I cut, however, I may take out the yolks in a few of the eggs just to get rid of some fo the fat.

CBates
03-19-2003, 08:28 AM
Here's a great article on eggs I'd suggest to read.

http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=55