PDA

View Full Version : 2nd movie

chris mason
03-18-2003, 01:22 PM
Hopefully Howser will be able to post a link to my 2nd movie. This one is of me performing shoulder presses. As I described in my journal, I use an adjustable bench which goes above my head. When the bench is at a 90 degree angle, this prevents me from moving my chin out of the path of the bar. This causes me to have to incline the bench further in order to get my head back far enough. So, I suppose the exercise becomes somewhat of a very steep incline. When I train at a gym using a proper bench, I still have to lean my head back, so the angle is quite similar. I only feel the exercise in my shoulders, so I think the angle is steep enough.

The movie shows me getting a PB of 285 x 2, and my subsequent scream of victory:D .

EdgarMex
03-18-2003, 01:30 PM
That should be an interesting sight. The squatting video was awesome.

howsertrading
03-18-2003, 01:30 PM
here it is.......

http://users.surfanytime.net/~howser/P1010002.mov

right click on the link,and save target as............

Isaac Wilkins
03-18-2003, 01:38 PM
Nice continual effort, Chris.

My shoulder cringed and threatened revolt while watching you go all the way to your chest on those!

You're right, it does look like a steep incline, but if you feel it only in your delts, run with it.

the doc
03-18-2003, 01:43 PM
fuk'n awesome chris!!! i was cheering you to victory on that 2nd rep!

Way to go man!

LMAO @ your meathead victory scream!

GonePostal
03-18-2003, 01:46 PM
compress that sh!t!

EdgarMex
03-18-2003, 02:01 PM
Amazing, that's the first word that comes to my mouth after watching the video. I was particularly interested in it since the bench I use also has a slight incline when it's in the upright position, but not as much as yours.

This is great stuff. Keep up the good work, chris

WillKuenzel
03-18-2003, 02:14 PM
Nice job Chris! That's a ton of weight.

What would have done had you missed that second rep? I saw the safety catches at the bottom but they were a long way down and your legs might have been in the way.

Nice job again.

MonkeyBoy
03-18-2003, 02:20 PM
ok that is a lot of weight

chris mason
03-18-2003, 02:20 PM
Sorry about the size guys. I will get some compression software one of these days.

Actually, the video clearly displays my weakness in my left delt. I messed it up several years ago, and it has plagued me since. You can see it fart out on the 2nd rep. As of late, it has seemed to improve a bit. I keep thinking about getting one of those shoulder horns.

Anways, thanks for the compliments, and thanks to Howser for posting the link.

You know, I post these videos for two reasons. One, for some legitimacy, and to show how I actually train. To actually see someone perform an exercise lets you make your own judgement about form etc. In other words, when someone says they did something strictly, what exactly do they mean? Make sense?

I am getting over a cold, but when I train biceps next in a few days, I will post a video of me curling. I will probably go up to 225 and you can see for yourself what I consider to be a cheat curl.

chris mason
03-18-2003, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by HomeYield

What would have done had you missed that second rep? I saw the safety catches at the bottom but they were a long way down and your legs might have been in the way.

Nice job again.

Maybe you can't see them, but I have catches a few inches below my chest height, I can rack it there.

chris mason
03-18-2003, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by HomeYield

Nice job again.

Oh shi!, I just looked at the video again. I must have forgotten to raise the catch on my right side:eek: ! Good thing I got the reps!:cool:

MonkeyBoy
03-18-2003, 02:26 PM
The only thing that could make that movie better is if you were 5'6 115lbs and had breasts :)

WillKuenzel
03-18-2003, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by chris mason
Oh shi!, I just looked at the video again. I must have forgotten to raise the catch on my right side:eek: ! Good thing I got the reps!:cool:
LOL, that would have sucked. Really good thing you're a strong mofo.

I thought I saw them but just wanted to make sure. That's a lot of weight to be doing with no spotter and I knew you had to have some safety measures in place.

You're not far off from curling what you are overhead pressing. That's just crazy.

chris mason
03-18-2003, 02:34 PM
Yeah, but the curl is a tad "looser".

Relentless
03-18-2003, 02:49 PM
badass lift CM

looking forward to seeing the curls and the BO Rows

howsertrading
03-18-2003, 02:58 PM
I have converted the file to mpeg1 and compressed it a bit,for those with slow connections.The new file is less than 2 megabytes.You will have to excuse the logo.Link is below.

http://users.surfanytime.net/~howser/P1010006.mpg

the doc
03-18-2003, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by chris mason

hell yeah man!

:cool::cool:

Mystic Eric
03-18-2003, 04:36 PM
holy crap!!! wow... :eek:

chris mason
03-18-2003, 04:43 PM
Thanks for the compliments everyone.

You know, it is funny, these movies are the first time I have ever been able to really watch what I look like when training. Interesting...

Craig James
03-18-2003, 04:52 PM
Now you see what I've had to put up with all those years... :D :D

chris mason
03-18-2003, 04:56 PM
Ha ha, ass....:D

Craig James
03-18-2003, 05:12 PM
By the way, I finally got the smaller version of the movie downloaded - As always, buddy, very impressive! That second rep just doesn't get much closer then that!

chris mason
03-18-2003, 05:17 PM
Thanks. Yeah, it was a bit on the difficult side, hence my reaction when finished.

Maki Riddington
03-18-2003, 05:36 PM
Lol, I love it!!!

Especially when you let out the scream of victory.

GonePostal
03-18-2003, 05:36 PM
yo chris, some nice lifts :)
if your too lazy to actually compress using a different codec then just zip the file up when you post it :)

Xg74
03-18-2003, 07:48 PM
Incredible lift Chris. That is a lot of weight. I must say, you motivate me to do better. :)

MonStar
03-18-2003, 10:14 PM
INCREDIBLE lift chris. Congrats on the second rep, really really impressive man. Talk about some great strength.

Awesome to see a huge guy like you tossing around some huge weights. With excellent form and ROM by the way. I cant believe youre touching your chest with 285 for a double. Good work. :thumbup::thumbup:

Black_Curtain
03-19-2003, 05:06 AM
Very cool. Heavier than I ever saw anyone benchpressing or even squat(!) in real life and you do it millitary like it's nothing!

ericg
03-19-2003, 07:58 AM
nice video chris. keep them comming. i think its great to see/compare form. since i train at home with a bud that is less experienced then me - its great to see someone with your experience actually perform some movements. thanks again.

Scooby-Doo
03-30-2003, 06:59 PM
Excellent! I'm really enjoying these videos! Keep em coming! :D

Power-BB
03-30-2003, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by DragonKing
Excellent! I'm really enjoying these videos! Keep em coming! :D

I agree, I like the close up of your nipples at the end :thumbup:

Buff
04-01-2003, 01:35 AM
LOL, man you are a genuine freak of nature! Good job on not dying there! Amazing lift Chris.

Buff

chris mason
04-01-2003, 06:33 AM
Thank you.

Lesnar_Rocks
04-01-2003, 08:15 AM
Wow,Chris you are awesome.

chris mason
04-01-2003, 08:47 AM
I'm not, but I appreciate the compliment.

supirman
04-02-2003, 12:32 PM
A quick question first.... I'm just wondering if you like coming down to your chest. When I try to go overly heavy on pressed to my chest, my shoulder feels like it's going to explode out of the skin and make a huge mess. Now the bench we have at my gym is 90 degrees and I'm short (5'7") so I have a hard time getting my head out of the way. I actually just come down to my chin. Any farther and it simply hurts.

With that being said, 285 for two really isn't all that impressive... Don't get me wrong, it's strong, but nothing I would gawk at by any means.

Good job though.

chris mason
04-02-2003, 12:39 PM
It's all relative. You are a very strong presser, to you it may not seem like a ton. To others, it seems like quite a bit.

supirman
04-02-2003, 12:41 PM
back to the question about depth, doesn't coming to your chest ever inflict pain on your shoulder joints?

chris mason
04-02-2003, 01:05 PM
Actually, I have a bad left shoulder, but it doesn't really bother it any more than stopping short (it sucks either way).

supirman
04-02-2003, 01:11 PM
I think I just have NO flexibility whatsoever in my chest/shoudlers so coming down to my chest isn't much of an option for me. I have a hard time touching my chest when doing regular inclines!

WillKuenzel
04-02-2003, 01:22 PM
When doing any type of overhead press, I have a very hard time getting any lower than about chin level. Whether that's to the front or behind the neck its all tough. I think sometimes its just the mechanics of certain people. I have to really alter my grip to try and do it.

supirman
04-02-2003, 01:24 PM
Doing them the way I do them (coming to my chin or just below), I am doing 275 for around 10 reps. I just can't go deeper without my shoulder being in pain for a long long time. By the way, I tore my rotator cuff 2 years ago... this might have something to do with it.

heathj
04-02-2003, 01:25 PM
Good job, but why do you keep posting videos? Personally I don't need to see every single f*cking one of your PR's.

supirman
04-02-2003, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by heathj
Good job, but why do you keep posting videos? Personally I don't need to see every single f*cking one of your PR's.

Then don't look at them. As was previously stated by chris, he posts them so people can see the validity in his claims, and also so that people can compare form when lifting the same exercises. It also allows people to provide constructive criticism or maybe even subtle suggestions on the lifts....

heathj
04-02-2003, 01:36 PM
Just seems like he's trying to give his ego a lil' boost to me.

Mystic Eric
04-02-2003, 01:55 PM

I like watching his vids. If you don't like it, then don't watch it. Is he forcing you to watch it? Does it harm you when he posts it? Since it's a clear no to both questions, there's no reason to be rude.

chris mason
04-02-2003, 02:14 PM

I suppose that is part of it. I also like to backup what I claim. If it bothers you enough to start cursing, I must assume a bit of jealousy.

heathj
04-02-2003, 02:33 PM
Yeah your right, every time I swear I am jealous of whatever I'm swearing about. Come down from the clouds, you're not that awesome.

chris mason
04-02-2003, 02:37 PM
I don't think I am, by any stretch, but why else would you be so bothered that I post videos verifying my lifts?

Are you just having a bad day?

Isaac Wilkins
04-02-2003, 02:41 PM

I don't know if there's a whole lot of that. Chris is strong, certainly. However, as has been pointed out (by Chris himself, as well as others) he's not that strong. There are stronger people on this site, and in many gyms (myself not included). I think I speak for most when I say that Chris isn't doing any weight that I've not seen. If his goal is to impress so as to inflate his ego, then I don't think it's working.

I like the videos. It shows his form, backs up his claims, and they're kind of fun. It's cool to see other members of the site having success.

ericg
04-02-2003, 02:43 PM
I to like to watch the videos - gives me an idea of what other people are using for form. Keep posting them. Again - great job Chris.

supirman - to bad the recorder is broke, would be sweet to see the 275*10, nice work :thumbup:

heathj
04-02-2003, 03:05 PM
Bad day? How about bad year? ....Anyway, sorry if I offended you, I was just saying whatever. Post as many videos as you want.

supirman
04-03-2003, 05:20 AM
Originally posted by ericg

supirman - to bad the recorder is broke, would be sweet to see the 275*10, nice work :thumbup:

actually, its not that its broke... its the fact that it wasnt mine! I had to borrow it from somebody, and I haven't been talking to that somebody lately...

I'll try to find somebody else with one though.

ericg
04-03-2003, 06:15 AM
Originally posted by supirman

actually, its not that its broke... its the fact that it wasnt mine! I had to borrow it from somebody, and I haven't been talking to that somebody lately...

I'll try to find somebody else with one though.

Ah, I understand - good luck finding another cam.