PDA

View Full Version : =*) My ..um, online journal

MissFit
03-18-2003, 01:45 PM
Okay. I guess I'll do this, I posted one yesterday, but I don't see it up. Anyhow, here is how today was so far.

7am. oat bran english muffin w/ sugar free jelly
1 scoop, protein shake in water
mountain dew (diet)
bcaa's

930am. banana, cup of black coffee, sugar free, equal

10am gym--shoulders/abs/cardio
30 min. interval running (5 & 7mph)
20lbs, dumbell shoulder press, 3 sets 8
12lbs, side lateral raises, 3 sets 10
50lbs, easy curl upright rows 3 sets of 10
front lat. raises, 12lbs, 3 sets 8
abs--yada yada... susie curry's ab workout

1145am. 1/4 chicken white, skinless, steamed broccoli and green beans, 1 slice of reduced carb wheat bread
unsweetened iced tea, fruit salad (cantolope, strawberries, watermelon---about 1 cup)

was lazy and took a nap--woke up-- 1/4 chicken white on reduced carb wheat bread with mustard and spinach leaves

330pm 3 tablespoons fat free coolwhip and 6 strawberries, 1/2 myolplex reduced carb protein bar and water

and for dinner, my favorite, infamous.... EGGIES! 5 eggwhites, 1 yolk, 1 slice fat free cheese, and ketchup. mmmm!!!

if i get hungry at night, protein shake or spoonful of peanut butter

Isaac Wilkins
03-18-2003, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by MissFit

mountain dew (diet)

The Kelly Ryan approach to dieting, I see. ;)

Good luck on the new journal! It looks like you have your lifestyle pretty well structured. :thumbup:

Big & Tall
03-18-2003, 01:58 PM
:spam:

Welcome, and good luck with the journal!

Your diet looks excellent. What are your goals right now?

Just shoulders (and abs)? Seems like a pretty short day at the gym. What is the rest of your training split like?

fuzz
03-18-2003, 02:27 PM
Welcome to the journal section.

Calories are looking really low...have you counted them up? What are you trying to get everyday?

MissFit
03-18-2003, 02:59 PM
yeah i used to write everything down and count calories. im getting somewhere between 1500-2000 cals a day. normal. i forgot to add a plumb and 2 kashi waffles with sugar free syrup. i just ate itnow, actually. also, i guess i should mention that throughout the day i snack on Back to Nature Ultra Flax or Hi-Protein cereal. mmm.

yes, it is the kelly ryan approach. got to have that diet md! i thrive on it :)

my workout split is:

back/calves
shoulders/abs
1st leg day (consists of plie squats, back extensions, inners and outers, glute master, reverse lunges)
arms (bi's and tri's)/ abs
2nd leg day (squats, dead lifts, leg press, hack squat, leg curls, extensions.)

my workouts are never the same, i switch on and off with the type of exercises as well as the order. i also experiment with going heavier and less reps, and vice versa. i do abs everyother day--cardio 3 times a week for 30minutes. mostly interval running or spin classes.

the doc
03-18-2003, 03:00 PM
well let me be the first to :spam: this journal

welcome to the journal forum!

MissFit
03-18-2003, 03:01 PM
also--i forgot to mention, i eat when im hungry, usually every three hours. several small meals a day.

my goals for right now are to lean up a little (more defintion in my abs), and basically just more toned muscle all over.

WillKuenzel
03-18-2003, 03:07 PM
and basically just more toned muscle all over. Might want to be careful how you use that word around here. Its not exactly smiled upon.

Silverback
03-18-2003, 03:18 PM
Nice work both on starting the journal and the workout, you seem to have everything sorted.

Diet looks very good :thumbup: I would say the cals and breakdown are just about right from my observations, keep it up and good luck.

B-R

Budiak
03-18-2003, 03:20 PM
You need to bulk up, girl.

Big, treetrunk legs. Huge thick slabs of muscle on your back and abs, enormous pecs hanging off of your chest as boulders tiptoe on a great precipice. Giant sweeping traps keeping your rock hard cannons from tearing from your shoulders.

But toned..I guess is fine.

BTW any female who drinks black coffee is ok by me.

PowerManDL
03-18-2003, 03:23 PM
Ooooh, and there's a smiley in the title!

Errrrrrrrrrr :spam:

MonStar
03-18-2003, 07:12 PM
Diet and training are really looking good. Dedication is very impressive, keep it up.

I didnt think that you would be using freeweights, nice to see a girl using freeweights for a change. All the girls at my gym are afraid of them, lol.

GIS
03-19-2003, 01:33 AM
Clever name, welcome.

YoBrickWall
03-19-2003, 05:22 AM
yo, glad u came aboard.hope u reach yo goals and never give up.

Relentless
03-19-2003, 06:24 AM
my workouts are never the same, i switch on and off with the type of exercises as well as the order. i also experiment with going heavier and less reps, and vice versa.

if you want to see growth in your muscles, you may be better off being more consistent and recording your progression... you're clearly being very focused and structured with your diet - applying the same principles to your lifting should generate results for you.

IMHO, at least the core exercises you're trying to progress in should be done with a consistent timing/order. Change is good, but not every week.

Have you thought about trying an HST cycle?

Pup
03-19-2003, 06:29 AM
:withstupi

btw...nice to see you starting a journal, keep up the good work :)

MissFit
03-19-2003, 07:51 AM
<<<IMHO, at least the core exercises you're trying to progress in should be done with a consistent timing/order. Change is good, but not every week.>>>

I change the order of my exercises around when I'm not getting as sore afterward. Kelly Ryan, in Oxygen mag., said its good to switch up the order of your routine so your muscles dont "get used to it."

Paul Stagg
03-19-2003, 08:07 AM
soreness has nothing to do with it, and i think you can probably get better info than what kelly Ryan says.

_-_v_-_
03-19-2003, 08:13 AM
Agreed. That is a classic "Gym Myth" (TM).

MonStar
03-19-2003, 09:02 AM
Yup, Paul is dead on about the soreness. Biggest gym myth out there, that I seem to hear on a daily basis at my gym. "I didnt work my arms hard enough, they didnt even get sore."

Use your weights and the mirror as a gauge. :):)

MissFit
03-19-2003, 10:02 AM
well thats fine for all of you, i dont care if its a myth or not. if i gauge myself on that, then so be it. you dont have to =O also, i dont know much about you, but kelly ryan probably knows more about female weight lifting than you do.

Tryska
03-19-2003, 10:04 AM
well alrighty then.

Lizzie
03-19-2003, 10:10 AM
I dont think any offence was meant.:)

Relentless
03-19-2003, 10:21 AM
just out of curiousity,

does kelly ryan explain how hypertrophy happens differently in women as opposed to men?

I mean, obviously she has a lot on the ball... but I was under the distinct impression that muscle fiber was muscle fiber, regardless of whether it's testicles or ovaries that are providing the hormones involved.

Anyway, if you can make progress doing what you're doing, good on ya. I think the take home point that Paul and the others were trying to make is that soreness has been proven not to be a reliable gauge of progress. Over the longer term, one of the few consistent and reliable measures of progress is weight. If you're lifting more weight for more reps, you're progressing.

I mean, I can make my bicep sore by curling a can of peaches 300 times. This is less likely to contribute to that bicep being hypertrophied than it would be if I did a couple sets at a certain weight and saw progression week over week through a couple months.

For what it's worth, the best thing I've learned from participating in this site is that no one has all the answers. The best thing you can do is seek out a wide range of opinions and then use your body as a testing-ground. Experiment with different things and you may surprise yourself, finding that something you thought would *never* work really kicks ass for you.

Paul Stagg
03-19-2003, 10:29 AM
but kelly ryan probably knows more about female weight lifting than you do.

Don't count on it.

Alex.V
03-19-2003, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by Callahan

I mean, I can make my bicep sore by curling a can of peaches 300 times.

Probably only take you a couple of those reps to get sore, Cal. :D

MrWebb78
03-19-2003, 10:36 AM
Relying on magazines for information is not exactly the best approach to body "sculpting". Why would these models and competitors be giving away their personal success secrets to the competition? exactly, they wouldnt, so theyre probably not truthful.

reminds me of an article where ronnie coleman said he did something like 22 sets for biceps, all over 12 reps per set.....i think not.

Coke
03-19-2003, 11:43 AM
Hi Miss Thang ;) Good luck with your goals! :)

MissFit
03-19-2003, 09:18 PM
Okay here is what today looked like:

930am-- potein shake, bcaa, oat bran english muffin with sugar free jelly, 2 kashi waffles with sugar free syrup, diet mountain dew

12pm-- chicken breast, 3/4 cup brown rice, 1cup steamed broccoli

230m-- banana, black coffee

gym--- 1st leg day
plie squats 30lbs, 3sets 15
reverse lunges, 30lbs, 3sets 15
inner and outer, 80lbs, 3 of 15
back extensions 3 of 20
gluter master, 80lbs, 3 of 12

abs, cardio 30min

**after gym**
1 cup of hi-protein cereal
5 eggies, whites) 1 yolk w/ ketchup

snack on hi-pro and ultra flax cereal

dinner** chicken with lettucte and tomato in a wheat pita, steamed veggies

myoplex protein bar, strawberries. coffee, black

and thats about it

MonStar
03-19-2003, 09:22 PM
Diet looks right on, excellent. Workout also looks solid, impressive leg, lower back, and glute session.

kAiXuan
03-19-2003, 09:31 PM
do what you want, you look good so far so why stop

MissFit
03-20-2003, 11:08 PM
hi everyone, too damn lazy and tired to post what today was! it was good though. went to the grocery store and restocked on the fresh fruit and veggies. have to go now, back to the wonderful world of long ass college papers to write!

((today was a great day as far as classes went... got a 65 on a math test bc i forgot a calculator,and proceeded to walkhome in the rain with my sore ass legs!... great!))

Mystic Eric
03-24-2003, 02:27 AM

gym--- 1st leg day
plie squats 30lbs, 3sets 15
inner and outer, 80lbs, 3 of 15
gluter master, 80lbs, 3 of 12

*explodes!!!!!!*
btw, you could get rid of that "glute master" and just do regular squats...

heathj
03-24-2003, 02:37 AM
Yo what up...Keep it up and good luck with your um..online journal ;)