PDA

View Full Version : Quick question...on protein



booster1
03-18-2003, 10:26 PM
Is drinking 100g of protein a waste in a short amount of time? Lets say in one hour and not after a workout, will it be able to absorb it all?

tryingtobebig
03-18-2003, 10:45 PM
I don't know if I could even bring myself to drink 5 protein shakes at once.

Saint Patrick
03-19-2003, 01:03 AM
I wouldn't say it's a waste, but if it's within an hour, I'd say drink 50g, then drink 50g an hour later.

bradley
03-19-2003, 02:40 AM
Originally posted by booster1
Is drinking 100g of protein a waste in a short amount of time? Lets say in one hour and not after a workout, will it be able to absorb it all?

I wouldn't consider it a waste but why drink that much in one sitting? I would just drink a little bit of the shake over the course of a couple of hours or just mix up a smaller shake.

Ironman8
03-19-2003, 07:17 AM
Man, how bloated do you get after you drink all that?

Shankerr
03-19-2003, 08:05 AM
I drink up to 80g in one shake without any problems. I think I'd break it down a bit though, maybe like 50 in one, and 50 in another like was mentioned earlier, for no other real reason than to break up the meals a bit and spread things out

YatesNightBlade
03-19-2003, 08:49 AM
IMO it would be a waste. It's always better to get too much protein than too little. It can just become an exspensive way of creating energy tho and thats what carbs are for. Not protein !!!

The_Chicken_Daddy
03-19-2003, 08:49 AM
If it's a straight 100g whey, then i imagine a good deal will be converted into glucose.

But if you mix, say, 50g whey with 50g tuna for instance, the whey would probably get through quick, but the tuna would wait it's turn to get through the small intestine.

The stomach usually regulates the rate at which protein passes through the gut for when it really needs it, but i'm not sure how much this principle applies to something like whey.

YatesNightBlade
03-19-2003, 09:09 AM
You might find the Tuna will slow down the digestion of the whey too .... simpler to Milk for example.

The_Chicken_Daddy
03-19-2003, 09:16 AM
Probably.

booster1
03-20-2003, 11:07 PM
What about a 60g of shake and a protein bar?

bradley
03-21-2003, 02:43 AM
Originally posted by booster1
What about a 60g of shake and a protein bar?


This would follow the same logic as what TCD and Yates were saying. The blend of proteins along with the fat in the protein bar would slow the absorption of the shake.

YatesNightBlade
03-21-2003, 03:03 AM
It's not just that. Excess protein will be converted to Glucose. Excess Glucose to fat. Not good.

It's always better to have more than not ... but your can't force feed your body into growth. It's a slow process. Patience.

PDawg
03-25-2003, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by Shankerr
I drink up to 80g in one shake without any problems. I think I'd break it down a bit though, maybe like 50 in one, and 50 in another like was mentioned earlier, for no other real reason than to break up the meals a bit and spread things out

What kind of shake are you having to get 80g in one shake ? What's the contents outside of the powder .. I have never seen one shake that is just powder that has 80g of protien per shake.

restless
03-25-2003, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by PDawg


What kind of shake are you having to get 80g in one shake ? What's the contents outside of the powder .. I have never seen one shake that is just powder that has 80g of protien per shake.

Well, if you take two servings of a protein shake and drink them together you'll have a 80 gr one won't you?

Ironman8
03-25-2003, 05:39 PM
Heh.