PDA

View Full Version : It's bulkin time, oh yeah

Pup
08-01-2001, 08:40 AM
Well guys, i'm just about to start my bulkin phase. I am putting a diet together and have been getting some help from a couple of guys (chrism and spidey). I'm thinkin about starting out with about 3000 cals and a 40/30/30 ratio. The main staples in my diet are oats, flax, eggs, tuna, skim milk, and cereal. I would appreciate some comments and maybe some suggestions about what works for the rest of you guys when bulkin, BTW, i don't want to put on a lot of fat, so consuming 4000 cals a day is out of the question.

Gyno Rhino
08-01-2001, 09:00 AM
What are your stats right now?

gino
08-01-2001, 09:04 AM
Bulking on 3000 calories? Geez, are you like 120 lbs or something? Even if you're only 150 lbs, I'd suggest 3500-4000 calories minimum. Putting on a little fat is inevitable while bulking(if you are truely bulking). If it wasn't inevitable, why would anyone who wanted more muscle without the fat NOT bulk?

Also, those "main staples" aside from cereal, look like the main staples of my cutting diet. Get some red meat in there...Peanut butter...baked potato...

Bulking doesn't REQUIRE you to eat like crap, but getting in the above mentioned foods along with some other calorie dense foods each day will help. I was eating 1/2 lb of roast beef a day, steak, MRPs with peanut butter, and a lot of other stuff while bulking. 5500+ calories. I gained 18 lbs, most of which was good weight, if you remember the pictures I posted.

beercan
08-01-2001, 09:06 AM
I'd do whole milk man.

4,000 cals is cool for you....

Don't force it tho man....that's no fun...I remember literally choking down food just to reach a certain calorie #

You should listen to cack, then maybe you'll look like you train...:p

Spiderman
08-01-2001, 09:18 AM
Good ideas guys I agree. I feel the same way as beercan, but just_a_pup is unique in that its quite hard for him to cut fat off for some reason. So, I believe he's going to try to gain, but do it while trying to keep somewhat lean as well.

Tryska
08-01-2001, 09:24 AM
I would definitely listen to gino......i've seen those bulking pics....:eek: :eek:

and beercan has a good point too...might as well go with full-fat dairy....fat is good.

the doc
08-01-2001, 09:36 AM
for health reasons though i would not agree with the dairy thing. Try to get lots of fat yes, but from olive oil, peanut butter, walnuts, fatty fish, flax oil.

its just so much sat fat in whole milk, but i agree it definitely puts on the weight!

Wizard
08-01-2001, 10:33 AM
Set your goals before you start bulking.If you stop the process in the middle,you've lost the game.Patience is what you primaly need and then of course you need some tbspns of flax seed,protein,oats etc.
As for the dairy,yes,milk(esp. whole) puts on weight very fast.But you don't need all the saturated fats it contains anyway.. Even Cla isn't so good enough to make you drink loads of milk.Choose low fat or fat free yoghurt instead of it,because it contains a good amount of quality proteins and good bacteria as well,because you don't want to end up looking like a water balloon after getting down all these calories.

TvR8oRage
08-01-2001, 11:24 AM
hey bro REDMEAT get it cook it and eat it, mix 2 cups 100% ground hamberger with 2 cups ground turkey burger with cheese and some hot sauce, spice it up with you favorite herbs i love it and it loaded with over 170gram protein, around 40 grams of fat and 0 carbs, ill then use my protein drinks for added protein with no carbs and fat and get the rest of my carbs from brown rice, pasta, red potatoes, you can do almost anything with ground hamberger meat, put it a tortia and instnat meat buritio, scramble some eggs and mix it up with some salsa, throw in some pasta with it and some low sodium pizza sause very tasty bro,

Pup
08-01-2001, 08:29 PM
Thanks for all the input guys & tryska. Gino, like spidey said, i have a hell of a time dropping bodyfat, so i was thinkin about starting at 3000 cals and go from there. Right now i weigh 178lbs and would like to get to about 195 by the end of my bulking phase, with minimal fat gain. I appreciate all the input and keep the ideas coming.

flake
08-02-2001, 02:06 AM
why not bulk heavy & use clen, er eca I mean ;)

hmmm, I guess I can't sypathise I've never had a prob dropping bf, I think I loose 5% just by missing a meal.

Wizard
08-02-2001, 04:31 AM
I'd suggest you taking some enzymes to help you in your progress.It will be easier for you stomach to process all that food.
A blend of

Papain
Amylase
Lipase(very important)
Bromelain
Betaine HCL
Pepermint oil
Cellulase

will help you a lot.

IceRgrrl
08-02-2001, 04:45 AM
Hi pup...sounds like you have a good plan and everyone is supplying lots of ideas. Start at 3000/day and adjust as needed. If you're not gaining, add a few more cals; if you're gaining too much, cut back a little.

I have a hard time dropping bf as well and I have to do mini-bulk/mini-cut cycles that are not as extreme as others...listen to your own body.

GL!

Pup
08-02-2001, 06:46 AM
Thanks again for the replies, Blackalpha, how do i get the enzymes, are there certain foods i have to eat or these available in supplement form. Flake, i have considered doing such a thing, but i'm not sure how counterproductive using a thermogenic will be to building muscle mass. I think to curb excess fat build-up i am going to monitor my waist size and bf very closely, i.e-take bf measurements once a week and measure my waist size every couple of days.

Wizard
08-02-2001, 07:04 AM
I d suggest u taking a supplement.There are many available.(select a mix of the enzymes I mentioned before)
It's difficult to get them from the food we consume because heat destroys them.You need to consume a lot of raw foods to get an adequate amount for your stomach so that it would be able to digest the macros.

Tryska
08-02-2001, 07:08 AM
but why not just do a fruit smoothie or something to get the papain and bromelain, at least? that's papaya and pineapple....couldn't you get the cellulase from those sources too?

but that's just me...we differ on this, but i favor the whole fruit or vegetable to get the nutrients rather then picking them up onesy-twosy from supps. The Beta Carotene fiasco leaves me not feeling good about that method...*lol*

Wizard
08-02-2001, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by Tryska
but why not just do a fruit smoothie or something to get the papain and bromelain, at least? that's papaya and pineapple....couldn't you get the cellulase from those sources too?

but that's just me...we differ on this, but i favor the whole fruit or vegetable to get the nutrients rather then picking them up onesy-twosy from supps. The Beta Carotene fiasco leaves me not feeling good about that method...*lol*
Here's why
1)You won't meet the adequate amounts of the enzymes you need.
2)You won't get all the enzymes you need.Where's lipase?Did you know that the majority of obese people lack the enzyme lipase?
3)You won't "waste" your carb intake just for hi gi indexed fruits like the ones you mentioned.

Tryska
08-02-2001, 07:29 AM
hmm.....well i was speaking of the bromelain and papain specifically...i don't see any problem necessarily with supplementing the other enzymes.....but how much of those do you need that the fresh fruits wouldn't provide them? i see your point on wasting your carbs.....but if he's bulking..will it make that huge of a difference to add in a serving of papaya and a serving of pineapple?

Wizard
08-02-2001, 08:07 AM
A person who has problems with loosing fat,must do a strict bulkup diet.Any strict bulkup diet that consists of hi gi carbs doesn't excist.It doesn't mean that in would hurt him,but my point is that he can have all the enzymes he needs by supps.There's no a specific amount,it depends on how much calories you get.Personaly,at 2000-2500 cals,I get 32mg papain,60mg amylase,20mg lipase,400mg betaine hcl,20mg bromelain,1mg peppermint oil.It's a high intake,but I had some problems with digestion when I was eating up to 2500cals(bloating).

Tryska
08-02-2001, 08:15 AM
hmm....that's interesting......and i do see you point with the issue of having difficulties cutting fat....might as well keep it as strict as possible so it's easier in the end....

thanks for explaining...:)

Wizard
08-02-2001, 08:20 AM
I do like papaya though :evillaugh :angel:

Tryska
08-02-2001, 08:28 AM
*lol* me too...but it's hard to find decent papaya around here...which of course would be another drawback to eating the raw fruit.

Wizard
08-02-2001, 08:50 AM
I prefer imported papaya from Brazil! :)

Tryska
08-02-2001, 08:55 AM
no wonder we don't get nay...y'all greeks take them all....:(

Wizard
08-02-2001, 09:01 AM
:evillaugh :angel:
Hm.. I think we're of topic now..! lol :hide: