PDA

View Full Version : morning meal before lifting

WillKuenzel
03-20-2003, 10:02 AM
I work out first thing in the morning. Normally about an hour after waking up. Well, I'm not trying to cut this is just the best time for me to workout. My question is what is the best thing to eat for energy? I normally have an 8oz protein shake but I was also wondering if any of that protein is doing me any good. Is it going to help after the night of not eating or will it be going to energy when I workout about an hour later.

Should I have something else before hand instead of the protein or is that sufficient?

millertime
03-20-2003, 11:36 AM
I'd eat almost any type of low GI carb food along with portein.

Shankerr
03-20-2003, 01:09 PM
I eat oatmeal which seems to perk me up if I lift in the AM, take an EC as well, that'll boost your energy first thing! Keep the shake, maybe add in a few eggs and some oatmeal, thats my suggestion and my opinion.

WillKuenzel
03-20-2003, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Shankerr
I eat oatmeal which seems to perk me up if I lift in the AM, take an EC as well, that'll boost your energy first thing! Keep the shake, maybe add in a few eggs and some oatmeal, thats my suggestion and my opinion. I would definitely do this if I thought would have time to start digesting it before I got to the gym. The only problem with this is if I eat too much before going to the gym its going to come back up. The shake I can handle because its liquid and digests just a little faster.

Would a cup of yogurt help? I guess something is better than nothing but too much and I get sick while working out.

IceRgrrl
03-20-2003, 01:25 PM
I eat a small bowl of bran flakes and skim milk at 5:45 and begin my warmup at the gym at 6:30, so I know what you mean. The cereal is quick, tastes okay to a non-morning person who hates t eat right after I get up, and gets my blood sugar up enough/quickly enough so that I feel good for my workouts but don't have that "ugh, I just ate" feeling.

GonePostal
03-20-2003, 01:29 PM
Wouldn't a bunch of high GI carbs be better??? You can digest them quickly and they will give you a quick pick up so you have enough engergy to lift. 1 hour is not enough time for digestion of a low GI carb right? That and a carb drink during....

ElPietro
03-20-2003, 01:29 PM
But the bran will have a high fibre content, which will slow down digestion significantly on anything you are taking in with it.

bradley
03-20-2003, 02:23 PM
I lift first thing in the morning andI usually go with some ww toast and a protein shake. Usually get this down about an hour before my workout.

Wouldn't a bunch of high GI carbs be better??? You can digest them quickly and they will give you a quick pick up so you have enough engergy to lift. 1 hour is not enough time for digestion of a low GI carb right? That and a carb drink during....

I would think you might get lethargic if your workout lasted too long due to the initial insulin spike caused by ingesting the high GI carbs. Just a thought.

Manveet
03-20-2003, 03:27 PM
The high GI carbs with a protein shake isn't a bad idea. It supposedly takes a little time for your insulin to spike, so by the time you down a shake with high GI carbs and protein about 45 min before you train, you'll have a nice boost of energy. To keep from experiencing an insulin crash in the middle of a workout maybe you can sip on some gatorade? Just some thoughts.

BUFF STUFF
03-20-2003, 05:12 PM
I have a meal 1.5hrs- 2hrs before, normally some meat n pasta with potatoe or rice

Next milk 500ml, 1hr before ( milk digests slowly so by the time your body uses it you will be post workout or in the gym)

and 10-20 mins before, ECA & 40gs dextrose (for that extra energy boost):nod:

carolinagirl
03-20-2003, 05:27 PM
I agree with Manveet - except instead of the gatorade during the workout, I would probably split my normal postworkout shake into 2 containers and HEAVILY dilute one to drink throughout the workout, then take the second half like normal when I was done.

Ironman8
03-20-2003, 06:49 PM
Bread n' butter is pretty good.

steveo
03-20-2003, 09:43 PM
I started eating oatmeal before bed and I've notice that it helps me in the mornig when i work out. I don't feel as flat and tired. I just drink a protein shake before the gym. I use to eat a toast with PB, but I ran out of PB and money.

jonjrambo
03-21-2003, 09:00 AM
If you can't eat too much before the gym, then switch to a protein shake that has a lot of carbs in it. ISS Matrix is a great shake and it isn't that thick either. Half a serving is 30 grams protein and 50 carbs if mixed with water, I think? Bottom line is that you want something to eat because you need something to replenish the aminos in the muscle that are being eaten(to put it simply) and you need carbs for energy. Don't just eat protein and never lift on an empty stomach.

IceRgrrl
03-21-2003, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by ElPietro
But the bran will have a high fibre content, which will slow down digestion significantly on anything you are taking in with it.

It works for me...if I have something else, like Rice Krispies, which is probably higher GI and less fiber, I tend to get the blood sugar crash by the end of my workout and I hate that.

WillKuenzel
03-21-2003, 02:02 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'll start eating some form of carbs in the morning too. I try to get some yogurt since its pretty easy to get down and not too much time spent cooking. I've tried putting down some oatmeal before going but that stuff sits really heavy if I don't eat it as soon as I wake up but I have such a hard time eating in the morning. Its a struggle just to suck down some protein. I'll see about increasing it.

I take an EC stack before going to the gym so its not necessarily energy I'm worried about. Its more making sure that I have enough fuel that my body doesn't start using the protein or my muscle for fuel to finish the workout. Does it make any difference in that aspect or is it just calories that I get in before lifting.?

bradley
03-21-2003, 02:15 PM
If you were to just take in protein without carbs most of the protein would be used for energy via gluconeogenesis, so carbs would be important IMO.

PaulB
03-22-2003, 10:44 AM
i eat a protein bar, drink a slimfast and take a stacker about an hour before i workout

Silverback
03-22-2003, 01:15 PM
Try adding some dry oats to your protein shake, so you arent cooking your oats just taking them in with your shake.

I think that its vital for either carbs/fat or both in the morning, as over the night you will go in to a state of catabolism, taking the protien shake is fine in a sense. But your body will begin to use protein in the process of using glycogen for ATP (Without carbs).

However with some carbs/fat in your system you will be able to preserve the protein and use the fat and carbs for ATP creation.

Hope this helps

B-R

WillKuenzel
03-24-2003, 03:46 PM
bradley, Big-Ron: That's pretty much the what I thought I just wanted to make sure of it. So the general idea is to get more cabs before lifting. I've just got to find a way of getting an adequate amount of carbs without making myself sick before lifting.

Where can I find some more info on complex carbs vs. simple carbs? Are they digested at the same rate or do the complex ones sit a little longer in your stomach? I would like to be able to have something pretty fast digesting but the something that'll help to give me energy that won't just send me crashing when its done digesting.

Thanks again for everybody's input. Every little bit helps.

bradley
03-24-2003, 04:44 PM
Where can I find some more info on complex carbs vs. simple carbs? Are they digested at the same rate or do the complex ones sit a little longer in your stomach? I would like to be able to have something pretty fast digesting but the something that'll help to give me energy that won't just send me crashing when its done digesting

Complex carbs are just two or more simple sugars that are linked together. Simple carbs for the most part will be digested rapidly causing more of insulin repsonse in the body where as complex carbs are for the most part digested at a slower rate which will give you a more constant energy supply.

I personally eat complex carbs pre-workout because the simple carbs cause me to feel lethargic towards the end of my workout, and I don't like drinking anything other than water while training. I know Body recommends drinking milk pre-workout. If you do go with simple carbs I would recommend sipping some form of liquid carbs throughout your workout.

The_Chicken_Daddy
03-24-2003, 04:52 PM
Actually, disaccharides are still considered "sugars", so something like sucrose falls under the sugar category also.

Anything longer than two glucose molecules is "complex", since there is no mid-way justification. So maltodextrin, despite being a mere 3-8 molecules long, can be classed as "complex" by supplement manufacturers without being a fraudulent claim.

bradley
03-24-2003, 05:04 PM
TCD since sucrose is glucose and fructose would that still be considered a complex carbohydrate even though it is a sugar?

Here is a thread that refers to simple and complex carbs

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2021&perpage=25&highlight=difference%20complex%20carbs&pagenumber=1

The_Chicken_Daddy
03-24-2003, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by bradley
TCD since sucrose is glucose and fructose would that still be considered a complex carbohydrate even though it is a sugar?

Hmmm...Brad, not sure if you misread my post, but i'll quote myself:

"Actually, disaccharides are still considered "sugars", so something like sucrose falls under the sugar category also."

So, in other words, sucrose is a "sugar".

Ironman8
03-24-2003, 05:18 PM
Ya, carbs before lifting helps alot. And some coffee to give you some extra energy.

bradley
03-24-2003, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy

Hmmm...Brad, not sure if you misread my post, but i'll quote myself:

"Actually, disaccharides are still considered "sugars", so something like sucrose falls under the sugar category also."

So, in other words, sucrose is a "sugar".

Yeah I see what you are saying Robboe. I failed to take into account sugars such as sucrose. I just lumped it in with other sugars such as glucose and fructose, and considered it to be one molecule instead of two.

ryan-
06-19-2006, 09:28 PM
Reviving an old thread, no need to start a new one.

I'm beginning to start morning workouts tomorrow and I'm a little concerned about my morning meal. I'm thinking I'll have my regular shake pre-workout which consists of: oats, milk, banana, natural pb, whey protein and ice. How does this sound? I may have a few eggs whites / 1 yolk afterwards and some yogurt.

ddegroff
06-19-2006, 10:36 PM
oats, milk, banana, natural pb, whey protein and ice

the milk and natty are going to slow digestion. I would just do water instead, so oats, banana, whey, ice, water.