PDA

View Full Version : going crazy...please help!

jmello
08-01-2001, 01:21 PM
Hello all,

I am going crazy reading about 100 different articles and threads about the proper diet. Do you know of anything that is fairly simple to remember in dieting for building mass and trimming body fat???

Stats:
5' 10" 185lbs 15% body fat

Goals: 5'10" 190lbs 8-10% body fat

I work out 3x per week in the mornings

Typical meal plan (if I can hold to it)

6 am: Wake up: 2 cups of water
7 am: workout
8 am: 22g whey protein with peanut butter and ice
9am: 3 egg whites/1 whole egg scrambled, toast, grapes or orange, lots of water
12pm: salad with sliced chicken breasts, a little terriyaki sauce, Pepsi One or just water
3pm: protein powder with skim milk
6pm: carne asada burrito with salsa, some fruit, lots of water
9pm: water, maybe a beer (couple times a week)

This meal varies...sometimes I dont have my afternoon snack and still keep my portions down, etc etc

Any advice???? thank you very much

IceRgrrl
08-01-2001, 01:29 PM
Do you do your a.m. workout w/o eating anything? Are you lifting or doing cardio? There's a lot of debate on the empty-stomach-cardio thing, but if you're lifting, you need some fuel.

Also, I'd say you need a little more carbs in your meals (esp post workout) unless you're on some strange keto variant...oats, green veggies, sweet potato, maybe a little pasta here and there might balance out your nutrients a little.

Are you aiming for some specific protein/carb/fat ratio? Is your main goal gaining mass OR losing body fat? Those are really two very different things...and call for different approaches.

jmello
08-01-2001, 01:35 PM
yes, I do my am workout without eating anything. I read in this body for life book that it is better to work out with water only because you start to burn fat faster. Although I don't believe everything I read, I have tried it and seem to be fine. I do add creatine to my water (30g) if that helps.

The carbs I get about an hour after my workout. Should i add some in my post workout shake?

I am not aiming for any specific ratio...I dont even know what it is, if it exists....thats why I am kinda goin crazy. My goal is to add muscle mass AND losing body fat. Is that possible?? Or am I all backwards?

pastdoubt
08-01-2001, 01:45 PM
I think I can help you a little bit, do you have AOL Instant Messenger?

jmello
08-01-2001, 01:48 PM
yes its JatGrace...I am online now

ElPietro
08-01-2001, 02:03 PM
you add 30 grams of creatine to your water each morning? :confused: :eek: :eek: :confused:

Yaz
08-01-2001, 02:13 PM
Prostate: Merci!

Wizard
08-01-2001, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by jmello
Do you know of anything that is fairly simple to remember in dieting for building mass and trimming body fat???

In my experience no.
Focus on one goal and work on it.

jmello
08-01-2001, 02:29 PM
Creatine: yes, the side of the carton said to build muscle mass take 3 scoops (30g). It is Creatine Phosphate.

This is only 3x per week, however.

TvR8oRage
08-01-2001, 02:46 PM
hey my advise focus on either cutting or bulking for now your reach your goals alot faster, its a long slow road trying to burn fat and bulk up at the same time bro it can be done but you have to have alot of patiants, I preferr bulking for 12-16 weeks then running a six week cutting diet and totaly deplete myself then start bulking again my body seems to become like a sponge after cutting and just soaks evreything i feed it up and plus i keep all that nasty fat off my body from bulking

SweatHawg
08-01-2001, 10:34 PM
I am surprised Frankster did'nt jump on this question with a shout of TUNA! More whey, more chicken breasts, more egg whites -cut out sauces,ketchup....just my screwed up opinion. High protein & low carbs & heavy workouts works for me.
......and yes guys I am training again, (after 7 weeks of being a slug):drooling:

YatesNightBlade
08-03-2001, 04:17 AM
NEVER EVER LIFT ON AN EMPTY STOMACH ...... NEVER !!!!!! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD !!!!!

Frankster
08-03-2001, 06:39 AM
TUNA!

Wizard
08-03-2001, 06:59 AM
:drooling:

Leviathan
08-03-2001, 07:32 AM
To be honest, nutrition is one of the areas of medicine that we have very little knowledge about. You'll hear a thousand different ways to build mass, lose weight, etc., but what you should also know is that very few of these methods have been scientifically investigated thoroughly, they are merely ideas of what may work - or have worked for a select few people.

Just like workout routines, you have to find out what your body responds to, and create an individualized program to obtain those goals.

Ronan
08-04-2001, 04:19 AM
Your diet could do with some major revamping bro

Baumer
08-04-2001, 07:46 AM
I agree, you really just need to find what works for your body. There are 100 different schools of thought, "workout on any empty stomach, eat carbs before workout, eat immediately after workout, wait an hour after workout to eat, never eat carbs at night, etc..." But you just need to experiment a bit, and don't always deprive yourself of all so called bad foods. Give yourself a few cheat meals a week, as a reward for working hard the rest of the time. The big thing is that you get enough protein daily to balance out the carbs and fat.