PDA

View Full Version : How healthy DO you have to be?

dyslexic_banana
03-23-2003, 02:32 PM
Hi. My diet is usually bran flakes and a protein shake for breakfast, small portion of chicken, rice and roast potatoes for lunch (followed shortly after by a protein shake), and the same for tea (including the protein shake), except for the rice. I tend to have about three bananas during the day, too. I know that this is far from ideal for someone trying to build up muscle. Could anyone suggest any improvements? Also, as the title of my post says, how healthy do you have to be? Is eating a standard takeaway pizza once a week going to have a real negative effect on my progress? At present, I do tend to be slightly less healthy at weekends.

Shankerr
03-23-2003, 02:53 PM
You only have to eat as healthy as you want to. However, the worse you eat, the fatter you are, simple as that. I eat pizza now and then when I bulk, and since I'm not too worried about pounding on a few pounds of fat when I bulk, I can get awayu with it. So i guess the answer is, if you're bulking, hit it up, if your cutting, shy away from it.

dyslexic_banana
03-23-2003, 03:24 PM
Cool, thanks....so eating fatty foods doesn't, in itself, prevent muscle gain? What's a recommended daily calorie intake? Anyone care to estimate how many my diet sounds like?

Behemoth
03-23-2003, 03:53 PM
It's up to you. If your into weightlifting for some muscle gains and recreation and your not ever planning on competing or being absoloutely huge... then sure, there's no reason to be extreamly picky about diet.

Ironman8
03-23-2003, 03:55 PM
Well, eating an excess of fatty foods would have some negative effects.

And are you bulking right now? Or trying to loose weight? If you're bulking, you should atleast be taking in 3000 calories.

bradley
03-23-2003, 04:36 PM
If you are wanting to keep up with your calorie intake you can use a site like www.fitday.com

You will be able to gain muscle if you are taking in suffecient calories to do so. If you are wanting to gain just keep increasing your cals each week (small increments) until you are gaining a small amount each week. Approx. .5-1lb per week would be a good number to shoot for. A little pizza once a week is not going to hurt you and at worst you might put on a little more bf.

Without knowing portion sizes I would say the diet you have listed would be in the neighborhood of 1500 cals. An easy way to increase your cals would be to add in a couple more meals during the day.

And are you bulking right now? Or trying to loose weight? If you're bulking, you should atleast be taking in 3000 calories.

Just curious as to how you came up with 3000 cals without knowing more information?

Ironman8
03-23-2003, 06:51 PM
Sorry. I guess I'm too spontaneous :(

Berserker
03-23-2003, 08:17 PM
In my opinion a treat once in awhile is ok. Portion size is the key, don't eat a hole pizza, and don't do it everyday. I would make a point to get enough protein. As far as fatty foods need to look in the mirror, and figure out how much you can get away with.
Protein shakes are convient, but I would add you more meat to your diet.

AJ_11
03-23-2003, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by Ironman8
Well, eating an excess of fatty foods would have some negative effects.

What are those Negative results. Most fats are actually healthy for you. Trans fats are the only fats that are not good in any way.

Ironman8
03-24-2003, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by AJ_11

What are those Negative results. Most fats are actually healthy for you. Trans fats are the only fats that are not good in any way.

Why will be the benefits of eating fried chicken, pizza, cheeseburgers, icecream, etc. everyday? That's what I mean when I say eating an excess of fatty foods are bad for you. And yes, I understand most fats are good for you. Like peanuts and avocados, but the junk food I mentioned won't get you anywhere.

PowerManDL
03-24-2003, 08:25 AM
Man, Red Baron makes these pizzas that have like 1500 calories........three servings my ass.

Bryan
03-24-2003, 09:00 AM
Shankerr,

You're from Halifax? I grew up in Sackville just outside of Halifax! heh

Shankerr
03-24-2003, 10:37 AM
Bryan> really? Nice! Yeah, I just moved here this year from Ontario, I absolutely love it here! I haven't been through Sackville, but I know where it is at least, hehe. Where are you at now?

Shao-LiN
03-24-2003, 10:38 AM
You should probably have been more specific in your first post then, Ironman.

Anyway, if you're bulking, the diet you listed isn't great calorie wise. I probably wouldn't even recommend it for cutting on a regular basis.