PDA

View Full Version : Soy?

steveo
03-25-2003, 01:31 AM
There is this guy in my class who is a vegetarian(sp?) and he tells about soy and how it's a meat substitute and he tells me he can get a huge amount of it really cheap like 16 servings for $1. He told me that it could be cheap way to add extra protein to my diet reallt cheap. He said he will give me a small bag to try out along with some recepits. I was thinking that this could help me save a lot of money. Have any you guys tried Soy before? I wonder how much protein is in it and how good it taste.

GonePostal
03-25-2003, 01:34 AM
Heard it promotes estergen production or something... but really I don't think it's that bad. Just another protien source. If your talking about Tofu it doesn't taste great but it's ok. Just pound it down like every other "tasty" protien source you have (ie cottage cheese and tuna)

steveo
03-25-2003, 01:40 AM
They told me about the Tofu, but this stuff isn't that. He said that you boil it and it ends up looking like hambuger meat and then you cook it. It sound good and cheap.

bradley
03-25-2003, 02:48 AM
http://abcnews.go.com/sections/living/MensHealth/menshealth_15.html

Here is a short article I ran across. Getting your protein from a variety of sources is not a bad idea.

Another thread:
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5737&highlight=soy

YatesNightBlade
03-25-2003, 04:21 AM
Soy = Estrogen. MMmmmm !!!

Stick to more Complete protein sources. Beef, Eggs, Milk.

bradley
03-25-2003, 05:47 AM
Soy = Estrogen. MMmmmm !!!

Stick to more Complete protein sources. Beef, Eggs, Milk

I agree in that the protein sources you listed above are probably better protein sources, but do you think the phytoestrogens that soy contains can be that detrimental? The article listed below might be of some interest, but I know there are many different views on the subject.

http://www.maxsportsmag.com/science/issue12/12s3.htm

EdgeCrusher
03-25-2003, 06:29 AM
I get a lot of soy protein everyday. About 100-150 grams average. I haven't had any problems but gas.

EdgeCrusher
03-25-2003, 06:31 AM
Originally posted by steveo
They told me about the Tofu, but this stuff isn't that. He said that you boil it and it ends up looking like hambuger meat and then you cook it. It sound good and cheap.

Those sound like Textured Vegetable Protein Crumbles. I suppose it's a decent source of protein, it tastes good, but I don't know how cheap it is.

Ironman8
03-25-2003, 07:19 AM
The soy burgers taste a little bland, not like the real thing. But the soy gruond beef tastes awesome. It good when you make a taco with it.

aka23
03-25-2003, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by steveo
He told me that it could be cheap way to add extra protein to my diet reallt cheap.
I wonder how much protein is in it...

It depends which product. Natural soybeans get 35-40% of their calories from protein. 1/2 cup of soybeans have about 150 calories, 14g protein, 8.5g carb, and 7g fat. There are dozens of products which are made from soybean proteins. Some have higher amounts of protein. For example 1/2 cup of textured soy protein powder is about 160 calories, 24g protein (~60-65% of calories from protein), 14g carb, and 0g fat. Soy protein isolate supplements are usually >90% protein and usually sell for about $5-$10/lb. This is a bit less expensive than most other protein supplements. However, protein supplements are the exception not the rule. Most soy products are significantly more expensive than similar non-soy products.

AJ_11
03-25-2003, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by EdgeCrusher

Those sound like Textured Vegetable Protein Crumbles. I suppose it's a decent source of protein, it tastes good, but I don't know how cheap it is.

I don't think that it is a complete source of protein, but there should be no harm if you add it to your day. I wouldlb cut out meat tho.

One idea is you can mix it half and half w/ ground beef, there you are only using half the portion from ground beef, you get a complete amino acid profile and you you can get the recommended protein intake. Actually the stuff doesn't taste too bad alone but you won't even notice it mixed.

Actaully the suff is really cheap. You can get what is equal to a pound of ground beef for like $0.20.

AJ_11
03-25-2003, 10:03 AM
One more thing you can get it bugger pieces and make it with chicken broth, stuff kinda taste like chicken. I would eat it alone tho, but in a stir fry even mix it in with some real chicken.

GonePostal
03-25-2003, 10:12 AM
Hrmmm some interesting material

http://www.rheumatic.org/soy.htm

aka23
03-25-2003, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by AJ_11
I don't think that it is a complete source of protein,

Originally posted by YatesNightBlade
Stick to more Complete protein sources. Beef, Eggs, Milk.

Soy protein has been considered a complete protein since the FDA started evaluating protein using the PDCAAS. By this measure, soy protein scores as well as egg white and casein protein and scores better than beef. In a few other measures such as BV, soy protein scores lower. However, it clearly should not be dismissed as useless.

Ironman8
03-25-2003, 05:35 PM
And it's pretty healthy.

steveo
03-25-2003, 06:10 PM
I was looking into and yeah, it's almost the same as meat but with out Vit. B12. I think that will help me big time with the major shortage of cash. I will try the Soy tomorrow and and I'let you know how it taste. Since I live 10 minutes fro Mexico, soy is cheap over there.

Xg74
03-27-2003, 10:06 PM
Quoted from Protein Factory's analysis of Soy Protein Isolate.

"The phytoestrogens are only found in raw soy products. Not soy protein isolates, which are used as protein supplements for bodybuilders."

http://www.proteinfactory.com/in_soyprotein.htm#

In summary, using Soy Isolate as a supplement mixed in foods can be considered a good thing, eating pure soy products isn't quite as good. (do to increase in estrogen production).

Isolate good
Soy Food bad

;)

In my experience, Soy (isolate) is excellent, I do not suffer from Gynocosista (or however you spell that), and it tastse good (I mix it into my oatmeal in the morning). Oh, and it is pretty dammed cheap.