PDA

View Full Version : How much protein can be absorbed at one meal?

hemants
08-02-2001, 06:37 AM
I thought it was something like 40g or something?

Are some proteins absorbed more slowly than others (thereby allowing you to eat more at one sitting?)

Anyone?

Pup
08-02-2001, 06:41 AM
I believe this is based on bodyweight, i.e-150lb male can absorb like 35g a sitting (just an approximation) and a 200lb male can absorb 50g per sitting.

Wizard
08-02-2001, 06:42 AM
It depends.
If you weight 150,you can absorb less than if you were 200.
Then,it has to do with your muscle's need for repair.
There's no a fix amount for everyone.Of course you can't eat 100gr in one sitting..

Wizard
08-02-2001, 06:42 AM
You re on my mind just_a_pup :D

Pup
08-02-2001, 06:48 AM
:confused:

Chris Rodgers
08-02-2001, 06:54 AM
LMAO!

I think he meant to say, 'you read my mind.'

c_8nOM
08-02-2001, 06:57 AM
oops, sorry ~ :D

hemants
08-02-2001, 08:06 AM
That's what I thought, thx.

So much for those recipes with 170g of protein in 'em :) tuttut

Which brings my next question. If you are bulking and once your body has effectively used all the macronutrients it possibly can, does it matter what the excess calories come from, are they all just expelled/stored as fat?

eg.

Maintenance : 200g protein, 300g carb, 70g fat (for example)

Bulking 1 : 300g protein, 400g carb, 200g fat

Bulking 2 : 350g protein, 350g carb, 200g fat

Bulking 3 : 325g protein, 325g carb, 220g fat

Wizard
08-02-2001, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by hemants
Which brings my next question. If you are bulking and once your body has effectively used all the macronutrients it possibly can, does it matter what the excess calories come from, are they all just expelled/stored as fat?
Of course.. as fat :)

Wizard
08-02-2001, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by hemants
Are some proteins absorbed more slowly than others (thereby allowing you to eat more at one sitting?)
Anyone?
Yes,casein and protein from chicken,meat etc(solid food),is absorbed slower than whey,which is absorbed very fast.

Paul Stagg
08-02-2001, 08:38 AM
There isn't a 'limit'

Cackerot69
08-02-2001, 11:30 AM
All protein is "absorbed".

Franco
08-02-2001, 11:55 AM
Indeed, there is no limit

ElPietro
08-02-2001, 12:14 PM
I don't think protein can be stored as fat can it? Someone lemme know.

hemants
08-02-2001, 12:16 PM
"All protein is absorbed"

Ok smarty pants, I meant absorbed and utilized to build muscle :)

El Pietro, I believe that someof the unutilized protein by-products can end up causing fat storage but I'm not sure exactly what.

Franco
08-02-2001, 12:22 PM
Protein is the last of the macros to be stored as fat

Cackerot69
08-02-2001, 12:38 PM
Ok, here's the deal.

Anything you put in your body is digested and does something in the body (assuming you don't puke it up). If food is digested, it is absorbed. So let's stop using the word "absorbed". Depending on if energy requirements, carb requirements, and/or muscle repair requirements are met protein may or may not be stored as fat - may not being most likely. The only time all three requirements are met is: calories over maintenance, glycogen stores saturated (i.e. lots o' carbs) and enough protein taken in to repair tissues. So basically, if you are not bulking and you eat "too much" protein, it will simply be converted to glucose and used as energy (via "gluconeogenesis"), which in itself speeds the metabolism, making this more desirable than just eating the carbs instead. If you are bulking, then eating more than 30-40g per sitting (and 1g/pound of bodyweight) is quite pointless, because then the excess protein will be stored as fat since all of the other requirements are met.

hemants
08-02-2001, 01:24 PM
Thanks Cack, I used the term absorption because that's the term I've seen used when they calculate NPU and biological value.

ie. The ratio of Protein absorbed : Protein ingested

"If you are bulking, then eating more than 30-40g per sitting (and 1g/pound of bodyweight) is quite pointless"

If protein in excess of 1g/lb of bodyweight is pointless while bulking we should really be asking how many g/lb of bodyweight of carbs and fat we need during bulking. Thoughts?

Cackerot69
08-02-2001, 01:56 PM
Calories in VS calories out when bulking. As long as you eat enough protein to repair anymore is just extra money (cuz you could purposely eat less carbs and more protein, but since speeding metabolism when bulking is pretty pointless, then this would be senseless).

hemants
08-02-2001, 02:06 PM
Yeah but....

When bulking, assuming you are getting enough protein, eating doughnuts isn't going to be the same as eating oatmeal is it?

Wizard
08-02-2001, 02:20 PM
tuttut
Doughnuts will raise insulin levels a lot more than oatmeal and you will have more chances to store additional fat.Then,doughnuts contain saty and trans fats which won't help you maintain a healthy circulatory system which is essential if you want to have a good blood flow.That's quite important.

Cackerot69
08-02-2001, 02:30 PM
I was just talking about macro's, not necessarily food sources.

TvR8oRage
08-02-2001, 02:50 PM
all protein is absorbed until a positive nitrogen balance is achieved in the muscle cells, the rest is discarded, protein
discharge in urine means positive nitrogen balance in muscle tissue

hemants
08-02-2001, 03:01 PM
Interesting corollary to your reasoning Cack is that once the minimum bulking macronutrient requirements have been met, the type of excess carbs and fats you eat are more important than whether the excess calories come from carbs/protein/fat.

So once again, the message for bulking is pretty clear:

Eat at least 1g protein per pound of body fat.

Eat more calories in the form of clean food (good carbs, good fats, protein).

Cackerot69
08-02-2001, 03:09 PM
Turbo, protein is never excreted; urea, ammonia, and other byproducts of protein metabolism are. So basically you just excrete the non-useful parts of the protein, while the rest is used to do something in the body (whether it be energy, repair, etc).

dgreenhill
08-02-2001, 03:47 PM
1. It is difficult to make a blanket statement on how much protein an individual can digest. There are numerous factors. I.e. Are you juiceing? How much do you weigh. Etc.

2. It has been hypothesized that one can digest more protein with a dietary aid such as ginger root and or papaya. ( Sorry for spelling.)

Anyways go to a local health food store and buy some digestive aid. Of enzmes this may help.

3. Also remember different proteins digest at different ways.
Don't be overly concerned with protein-just make sure you eat as much and healthful as possible.

4. Yes protein can make you smoother. (fat that is) it is a caloric varible.

Good luck