PDA

View Full Version : Conventional methods of bulking sucks!

Proteen
08-02-2001, 07:59 AM
The whole point in bulking is to eat alot of carbs so your body doesnt use protein as fuel right? Well I tried explainig that to my gym owner, and he said bollox. He explained that carbs are just a fuel for you body, and not a source of energy so you can spare protein. In order to bulk you need to your bodyweight + 214 grams in protein. So, if you weigh 160, you'd be eating 374 grams of protein. So, I said "Is that it?", and he said you have to figure out many calories you want to eat, and work in the protein from there. Basically he said to eat 50% pro, 35% carb, and 15% fat. Is this guy talkin' jibberish or what? It sounds pretty logical. But I thought you're body only absorbed up to 40 grams a meal. That means you;d have to eat 9 meals a day or more. Please give me your thoughts.

hemants
08-02-2001, 09:29 AM
I doubt that a 200lb person could effectively absorb 414 grams of protein per day. Unfortunately, studies on the matter vary greatly in their results.

People seem to think that excess fat is a breeze to lose and hence eat 3x or 4x their maintenance calories while bulking.

As was pointed out in another thread, once you have utilized your personal maximum amount of macronutrients, the rest will be stored as fat whether it is protein, carb, or fat.

Exactly what this theoretical personal maximum is would be interesting to find out. I think it would depend on a lot of factors, however, not the least of which would be age.

Wizard
08-02-2001, 09:45 AM
Your bodyweight +214? Seems like he thinks he's a diet guru...
There's no a specific formula to add on muscle mass..
He just suggests a light bulking,considering that the 1/3 from the ~400 protein he advises you to eat is burned just to digest it.So,what's the point of bulking if you've already burned a great amount of calories just to digest the protein..
Does he work for a supp company? lol

TheCap
08-02-2001, 10:33 PM
This is unscientific, but when you bulk, you've got to eat.

I don;t worry to much about counting calories.. I just eat as much as I can. Lots of carbs, lots of protein....try for at least 1.5 times your bodyweight in pounds.......(not easy if you are 250lbs or up) , and pletny of carbs for energy to lift super hard.

Cap

Maki Riddington
08-03-2001, 01:40 AM
There is only so much protein the body can use. Therefore it is useless to take in 300 plus if you weigh a 170 pounds. Unless of course your using drugs.

I would use a 30% fat,50 % carbs the rest protein.
Carbs don't make you fat. Excess cals do.

YatesNightBlade
08-03-2001, 04:11 AM
The fat bastard up there makes a good point about drugs. ;)

Is this guy a drug user ???? If so ... then sure your gonna use all that protein .... if not it's going out as urea.

Remeber that if you don't get enough carbs protein is gonna be turned into glucose and used as fuel .... not good when you want to be repairing alot of muscle.