PDA

View Full Version : the right diet

ishal pizzy
03-25-2003, 03:19 PM
I see so many questions posted on the different aspects of dieting, but its so scattered for me to read at once. Can anyone summarize a good diet (including shakes) as well as anything else of importance a new guy might want to know. This would be very much apreciated.:help:

bradley
03-25-2003, 04:18 PM
I can give you some general guidelines that might be of help.

Try and get approx 1g of protein per lb. of bodyweight. About 25-30% of your daily calories should come from fat and most of this percentage in the form of healthy fats. The rest of your daily cals should come from carbs, preferably low GI carbohydrates, except postworkout which should include high GI carbs. Your caloric intake will depend on whether you are wanting to lose or gain weight. Either way adjust cals in small increments until you are losing or gaining the desired amount each week. Approximately one pound per week would be a good number IMO.

As far as shakes go, I would use one postworkout and then get the rest of my protein from whole food sources. If you need to get some extra protein or cals in your diet then add in shakes but they are not a necessity and should be used to supplement your diet.

Ironman8
03-25-2003, 05:32 PM
Is 30/30/40 diet good? That's my diet. I'm currently maintaining weight though.

ishal pizzy
03-25-2003, 06:09 PM
is a workout any less effective according to time of day? like if i was to work out first thing in the morning...keep a steady healthy diet and run at night...would this be any different than say.... um... running in the morning, working out mid afternoon..? im not sure if i asked that the right way, but hopefully you get me!

Ironman8
03-25-2003, 06:11 PM
Cardio in the morning, before breakfast, is more effective for fat burning.

Courtney
03-25-2003, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by bradley
Try and get approx 1g of protein per lb. of bodyweight. About 25-30% of your daily calories should come from fat and most of this percentage in the form of healthy fats. The rest of your daily cals should come from carbs, preferably low GI carbohydrates, except postworkout which should include high GI carbs.

As far as getting 1g of protein per lb of bodyweight, is this true for women also?

And do you have a link to a site where I can get a list of low GI carbs?

Thanks!

Ironman8
03-25-2003, 08:07 PM
Here you go Courtney (http://athletics.colgate.edu/powerperformance/nutrition/GIChart.htm)

bradley
03-26-2003, 02:50 AM
Originally posted by Courtney

As far as getting 1g of protein per lb of bodyweight, is this true for women also?

And do you have a link to a site where I can get a list of low GI carbs?

Thanks!

Yes, I would recommend getting approx. 1g of protein per lb. of bw for women as well. The site below might be of interest to you as it has a lot of good information about women and nutrition as it relates to someone who trains with weights.

http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html

bradley
03-26-2003, 02:54 AM
Originally posted by ishal pizzy
is a workout any less effective according to time of day? like if i was to work out first thing in the morning...keep a steady healthy diet and run at night...would this be any different than say.... um... running in the morning, working out mid afternoon..? im not sure if i asked that the right way, but hopefully you get me!

I would recommend performing your workout when you think you can put the most effort and intensity into it. If that is in the morning then go for it, but make sure that you are getting adequate nutrients into your body before lifting.

bradley
03-26-2003, 02:55 AM
Originally posted by Ironman8
Is 30/30/40 diet good? That's my diet. I'm currently maintaining weight though.

Is that p/c/f ratio?

Ironman8
03-26-2003, 07:14 AM
Nah, it's f/c/p. When I was bulking, it was 50/50/60.

bradley
03-26-2003, 08:20 AM

The 40/30/30 looks fine to me as far as macronutrient ratios go and how do you have a 50/50/60? That equals 160%.:confused:

aka23
03-26-2003, 11:49 AM

This is a common recommendation among recreational exercisers as well as some fitness professionals. It is true that doing cardio after fasting all night increases fat burning due to lower glycogen levels. However, it also increases muscle wasting due to the glycogen levels as well as high levels of the the catabolic stress hormone cortisol after an overnight fast. Furthermore doing cardio on an empty stomach greatly reduces endurance and performance, so you are likely to stop sooner and burn fewer calories. It also feels quite unpleasant for many, which makes you less likely to continue with the program. Personally, I feel awful if I am hungry while working out, and when my blood sugar gets low I start getting headaches and have other negative symptoms.

I would suggest doing cardio with something in your stomach, but not so soon after a meal that insulin levels would be high or there would be digestion problems. I think the best time of day to do it is when it is convenient for your schedule and when you are likely to continue.

Shao-LiN
03-27-2003, 02:07 PM

Not necessarily.

Is 50/50/60 a mathematically possible ratio? That adds up to 160%.

devo
03-27-2003, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by aka23

However, it also increases muscle wasting due to the glycogen levels as well as high levels of the the catabolic stress hormone cortisol after an overnight fast.

I've read that its beneficial to drink a protein shake with some
Glutamine about 45 mins before doing morning cardio.
Considering that the shake (40 grams mixed with water) is only about 160 cals, that wouldn't take too long to burn off if your going for 35-40 mins.

I'm going to be starting morning cardio for the next while and I'll probably adopt this technique.

Relentless
03-27-2003, 02:40 PM
Ironman8, perhaps you'd care for some beef jerky?

bradley
03-27-2003, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by devo

I've read that its beneficial to drink a protein shake with some
Glutamine about 45 mins before doing morning cardio.
Considering that the shake (40 grams mixed with water) is only about 160 cals, that wouldn't take too long to burn off if your going for 35-40 mins.

I'm going to be starting morning cardio for the next while and I'll probably adopt this technique.

What is beneficial about whey? Why not 160 cals worth of carbs or fat? I would think the whey would just be used for energy just like the other macros?

Courtney
03-27-2003, 06:35 PM
Oooh, thanks for the link! I'll check it out.

Originally posted by bradley
Yes, I would recommend getting approx. 1g of protein per lb. of bw for women as well. The site below might be of interest to you as it has a lot of good information about women and nutrition as it relates to someone who trains with weights.

http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html