PDA

View Full Version : MonStar's Journal

MonStar
03-25-2003, 10:37 PM

I have decided to get back into the iron game, the bodybuilding side of the iron game. Westside was a GREAT program, really enjoyed it. But I miss the bodybuilding style workouts too much. An entire day dedicated to back, etc. Overall, I think that a bodybuilding program is far more fun than a powerlifting routine, but thats just my personal opinion of both. Then again, I have favored bodybuilding my entire life. Strength and size is what I am still focusing on 100%. I am just leaning towards a bodybuilding program at this point, rather than a powerlifting one. My split is going to be as follows, and it will not change:

S---Back, Biceps
M---Rest
T---Chest, Triceps
W---Legs, Lower Back
T---Rest
F---Shoulders, Traps, Miscellaneous
S---Rest

Like I said its going to be much more bodybuilding based, compared to Westside. Higher-rep sets, although Ill still be doing triples, doubles, and singles. Just not maximally week to week. Going to be great getting back into the bodybuilding style workouts.

WBB Members / MODs---I talked to Belial about this journal. I want ONLY positive things will be posted. No flaming, and nothing immature. Please dont make Belial delete any posts. Keep things positive, I have not started a new journal in months (seriously).

Alex.V
03-25-2003, 10:45 PM
Well, Mike, props to you for sticking with something long enough to see some results. You did westside for almost 4 months, that's a good stretch, and long enough to make an educated decision on it.

Now... key is to give this program as much structure as westside so that you don't get bored with it.

Neil
03-25-2003, 10:53 PM
Good luck with the new routine, Monstar.

Budiak
03-25-2003, 11:07 PM
Another journal?

What kind of workload do you have for your shoulders/traps to seperate them into their own workout?

Magnus
03-26-2003, 01:58 AM
Mike! LOL at another journal (and the fact that you kept the old one for so long).

Seriously...Why drop Westide?!? It was giving you such great results, and it was pretty similar to this new "bodybuilding" routine. Your Westside routine seemed to break down like this:

*Legs/Lower Back (DE Squat/Dead)
*REST (Or misc. work)
*Chest/Back w/some shoulders (ME Bench)
*REST
*Legs/Lower Back (ME Squat/Dead)
*REST
*Chest/Bis/Tris (DE Bench)

Seems kinda similar, just training a little more frequently, and the body parts weren't trained in the simple push/pull fashion (chest & tris, back & bis) you are proposing now. As for different reps, you say you are going to do singles and doubles along with higher reps...which is what you were just doing on westside!?

The strength was shooting through the roof (see: DB bench 120 x 8, BB curl 135 x7, and, ahem, the 3Nickel Deadlift). Those were great gains, especially for someone who as trained as long as you have (not even close to a plateau). Are you going to be doing a whole set of different exercises that you weren't doing when on Westsideor something?

And what's more fun: doing a whole day of back or having Brittany go crazy at how big you have gotten? :) If you do switch to the "Bodybuilding program," good luck as always.

MonStar
03-26-2003, 07:00 AM
Alex: I completely agree with what youre saying man, completely. I feel like I did Westside long enough to gain a lot of knowledge about powerlifting and powerlifting-type programs. I am not trying to say that Westside was a bad program at all, it was fun, I enjoyed it. Strength gains were pretty damn good if you ask me. I just personally prefer a bodybuilding routine, thats all. Yeah I am going to just do a standard bodybuilding split, I dont see why I would get bored with it. I should be on this a good 4 months as long as things go well.

Neil: Thanks man, appreciate the support.

Budiak: Hey, yes, another journal, lol. I have never been a big fan of OH presses so you wont be seeing my doing those. Basically on the delts/traps day its sort of a miscellaneous day as well. I am going to be doing laterals, some shrugs for traps, some calves, abs, etc. Not the most exciting day in the world, but well see what happens. My calves could always use the attention.

Magnus: Thanks for the excellent post man---really appreciate it. Youre right about a few things actually. My split is kind of similar to Westside I think, I dont know. Its still a bodybuilding split. Back day by itself, etc. I will be adopting some Westside principles, because obviously Westside does work. Great to see that you kept up with my other journal, lol, I had no idea. Always nice to know people are reading what you type, lol. Strength was shooting up youre exactly right. Thats something that I am not sure Ill see on a bodybuilding style program. Well see what happens. I am still going to do lockouts, and a lot of things that I did in Westside. And dont worry Magnus, Ill make sure that I dont get any smaller. A big reason I am switching back to a bodybuilding split it to grow my friggin' lats like crazy. Well see what happens with that. Again Magnus, really appreciate the post, and feel free to comment on my workouts in the future.

Mik
03-26-2003, 07:04 AM
Good luck with the new program Monstar. I hope you continue to progress as you have.

Saturday Fever
03-26-2003, 07:24 AM
Man. I leave for the other side of the woirld and when I get back all hell has broken loose! Ah well, it was a good run.

Coke
03-26-2003, 07:35 AM
best of luck always Mike! :)

Hercule
03-26-2003, 08:22 AM
I can't believe you are quitting westside. You were just getting crazy strong. Oh well, its up to you. Hope you get huge man. I hope the strength keep progressing as well. Good luck:thumbup:

MonStar
03-26-2003, 12:05 PM
Mik: Thanks a lot man, appreciate it. I also really hope to continue progressing as I have. If for some reason my strength gains stall all of the sudden, Ill decide at that point what I want to do. All I know is that chances are I will not be returning to Westside. Not because the results were not excellent, but because its a program for a serious powerlifter---which I am not.

Saturday Fever: Yeah, Westside was a hell of a good run. I enjoyed it a ton. And I still thank you for convincing me to try it in the first place. Good luck with the meet man, hope you smoke 3-plate bench, 4-plate squat, and 5-plate deadlift.

CoCoa: Thanks for the support. :):)

Hercule: Yeah, I put a TON of thought into this before I did it. I mean weeks of thinking about it. Lots of positives when it comes to Westside, but for me, there were a lot of negatives too. You seem to be favoring powerlifting Herc so I definitely think you should jump on the Westside bandwagon. Its not for everybody, but I think you would love it. Thanks for the post man.

Alke
03-26-2003, 07:31 PM
Hey Monstar!

no more westside? Oh I know what the real reason is..........You found out how much it cost to special order a 15 foot olympic bar to handle all those extra plates you were gonna need for your ever increasing deadlift LOL

seriously, thats cool....look forward to seeing progress pics as you hypertrofasize those muscles and get some growth with your new found strength!!!!

ryan1117
03-26-2003, 08:00 PM
Best of luck with your new routine. (It's not like you'll need it)

Congratulations on your 16th WBB Journal!

John0101
03-26-2003, 10:36 PM
Looking forward to read this journal. From what I read from your last journal only one word describe it all, dedication. :angel:

MonStar
03-26-2003, 11:17 PM
Kenn: Hey man, thanks for chiming in. LOL, its definitely not because my deadlift is too high. Wish that was the damn reason. Westside was a good program, just not for me, thats all. Was fun while it lasted, thats for sure. Yeah I really want to put on some size, so well see what happens now that I am back to a regular bodybuilding split. Hoping for some good results.

ryan: LOL, 16th journal huh? Wouldnt doubt it. Thanks a lot for the support man, appreciate it a ton.

John: Hey man, thanks a lot for the support. Really appreciate it. Yeah I did stay pretty dedicated with Westside I think. Well, I really enjoyed it. So what do you expect. Thanks again for reading man.

MonStar
03-26-2003, 11:18 PM

Diet/Supplements

Meal 1: peanut butter & banana sandwich, multi-vitamin/mineral, 25 mg. ephedrine hcl, 2 Xenadrine EFX
Meal 2: 1 Wendy's small frosty, 1 Wendy's cheeseburger
Meal 3: organic soda, macaroni & cheese
Meal 4: organic cookie, energy water
Preworkout: 1 banana, 25 mg. ephedrine hcl, 2 Xenadrine EFX
During Workout: 20 oz. Gatorade + 5g creatine + 5g glutamine + 1/2 tsp. salt
Postworkout: 1 serving whey protein, 1/2 serving Cell-Tech

Estimated Calories: ~3500

Training---Legs, Lower Back

Some guy at the gym today really made me feel good, lol. After I pulled 500 for a double he asked me, "how long have you been deadlifting?" And I said, "around 3-4 months now." And of course he says, "bullsh*t." And I started laughing and explained to him that I never had a reason to deadlift, etc. Finally he was like, "Ill tell you---since you have been coming to this gym you have really added a lot of size." I was happy. I have been going to the YMCA for about a year now I think. Something like that. So that made me feel good.

Deadlifts:

135 x 8, 225 x 6, 315 x 4, 405 x 2, 500 x 2!

Some damn good sets of deadlifts today if you ask me. Really impressed with my strength. Going to be alternating these week to week with squats, so well see how that goes. Started off with 135 for 8, and 225 for 6. SMOKED. Easy as hell. 3 plates for 4 was easy too. Just going through the motions. 4 plates felt a little harder, nothing bad though. Lower back seemed a little stiff. Hit up 500 for a single, waited ~4-5 seconds, resetted, and hit a double. I might have been able to get a triple, because the 2nd rep of 500 was not all that slow. Saw friggin' stars after each rep with 500, lol.

Leg Presses:

20 Plates x 4!, 18 Plates x 6, 16 Plates x 8

Some HARD sets of leg presses today, really beat up my friggin' quads completely. Started off with 10 plates on each side for 4 reps. OW! Quads were torn up. Dropped down to 18 plates for 6, and finished up with 8 plates on each side for 8. At this point my quads were just on fire.

Good Mornings:

225 x 6!, 185 x 8

Some damn good sets of good AMs here today. Really exhausted my lower back and hamstrings completey. 225 for 5 was my previous PB, so I am glad that I got an extra rep in there today. Dropped down to 185 for 8. OW! Both sets really beat me up.

Nautilus Leg Extensions:

Stack x 8 (2)

Not too much to say here actually. The entire stack was around 250 or a little more I believe, something like that. Hit up 8 reps for 2 sets with the entire stack. Really torched my quads here too. Its been a WHILE since I have gotten a really good quad workout, damn.

Rope Cable Pull Throughs:

Stack x 8 (2)

Good way to finish up my workout today. Used the entire stack for 2 sets of 8. Really finished off my glutes and lower back and all that completely. Still love this exercise even if I am not doing Westside.

Miscellaneous

Training Length: 45 minutes
Sleep: 8 hours
Weight: 226 lbs. (gym) :eek::eek:
Pain/Soreness: Feel pretty good today I think, not really all that sore at all, so thats good. Really looking forward to an excellent workout today.

General Comments

Training went pretty well today I think, not too long or short. Trying to stay right around 35-55 minutes for these bodybuilding style workouts. Not having my rest periods extremely long or extremely short. So well see what happens with that. Sleep was right on last night, right where it should always be. Weight was HIGH! Damnit, need to watch my f*ckin' calories. Sick of this bullsh*t.

Mik
03-27-2003, 07:29 AM
Grats on the deads Mon. Nice pulling. What's the reason for the salt during your workout?

MonStar
03-27-2003, 07:39 AM
Mik: The reason for the salt during my workouts I believe is to help push the creatine and glutamine into my muscles. I hate to say this, but I honestly FORGET the reason, lol! I read an article by diet guru named Par Deus, who used to post here at WBB---and he said that for optimal strength gains a carb drink should be sipped on the entire workout to help keep insulin levels up and muscle glycogen replenished.

Magnus
03-27-2003, 08:18 AM
Mike, this was brought up in your last journal...you sure you getting enough protein in your diet? You aren't posting portion sizes so it's tough to tell.

Also, your weight increase looks mostly like muscle - your BF% is similar to say...6 months ago, so don't worry about the number. Take some measurements - your arms are probably over 16.5" now.

Hercule
03-27-2003, 08:20 AM
You are crazy man. Westside or not, you are still an extremely srong mofo. 500 for 2 is crazy man. Leg presses and good mornings were just freakin nuts as well. Way to go bro.

MonStar
03-27-2003, 09:14 AM
Magnus: I know my protein intake is never GREAT. I try and get it as high as I can with the food that is available to me. For example the macaroni & cheese I eat at work has 50g of protein, the organic cookie is 10g, etc. I just try and slam down as much protein as I can, and it gets really tough. I feel like I pack in a TON of carbs, but not that much protein. Ill try and watch my protein intake as well, thanks for chiming in Magnus, appreciate it. Yeah I dont think I have gained a ton of fat lately, I just wish I was a bit leaner, thats all.

Hercule: Hey thanks a lot for the support man, appreciate it. Yeah I was happy with my strength on deadlifts yesterday. 500 for a double isnt too shabby I dont think. Who knows, well see what happens. I am going to be doing squats next week, and deadlifting the following week. So next time I deadlift maybe Ill see how many reps I can get with 505, who knows. Maybe Ill even try 565 if I feel good.

MonStar
03-27-2003, 12:10 PM

Diet/Supplements

Meal 1: peanut butter & banana sandwich, multi-vitamin/mineral, 25 mg. ephedrine hcl, 2 Xenadrine EFX
Meal 2: 1 can chili & beans + crackers
Meal 3: 5 oreo cookies, skim milk
Meal 4: 1 can chicken noodle soup, 1 pudding
Meal 5: 3 Taco Bell supreme beef gorditas

Estimated Calories: ~2900

Training---Rest

Miscellaneous

Training Length: N/A.
Sleep: 7 hours
Weight: N/A.
Pain/Soreness: OW! My friggin' thighs and lower back are hurting today, damn. Really sore---jeez. Quads have not been this sore in a long time.

General Comments

Rest day today. Good, because I feel a little exhausted from the heavy leg session yesterday. Legs are sore today, damn! Glutes are killing me, etc. Sleep was pretty good last night I think, whatever. Weight, I am only going to weigh myself at the gym on training days. So well see what happens with that.

MonStar
03-28-2003, 08:01 PM

Diet/Supplements

Diet definitely SUCKED today, simply because I ate like 2 meals before 8:30 at night. I got arrested today for harassment, jesus. Whatever. I am trying to just keep a laid back attitude about the whole thing. And not get all stressed out, etc.

Meal 2: organic cookie
Preworkout: 1 banana, 25 mg. ephedrine hcl, 2 Xenadrine EFX
Postworkout: 1 serving whey protein, 1/2 serving Cell-Tech
Meal 6: pretzels, hot dog & cheese
Meal 7: skim milk, 2 pecan cookies

Estimated Calories: ~3000?

Training---Shoulders, Traps, Miscellaneous

Wide-grip Barbell Upright Rows:

45 x 8, 95 x 6, 135 x 4, 185 x 2!, 135 x 8

Some good sets of upright rows today, I really beat on my friggin' delts and traps completely. Used an extremely wide-grip, which really torched my delts completely. Started off easy with the bar for 8 reps, then 95 for 6. Nothing TOO hard here. Just trying to warm my delts and traps up. Hit up 135 for 4, which wasnt too bad I dont think. Delts really took the brunt of the weight I think here. Mainly because my grip was so damn wide. Upped the weight again to 185 for a double. Nothing TOO bad here I dont think. 185 was tough however, OW! Dropped down to 135 again for 8 reps. Good sets here today.

Dropset
Dumbbell Lateral Raises:

40 x 8, 30 x 8, 20 x 8

Wow, beat up my delts with this triple dropset today, damn. Started off with the 40s for 8, and then the 30s for 8, and finally the 20s for 8. No rest in between all 3 sets. Really torched my friggin' delts completely.

Dumbbell Shrugs:

120 x 6, 110 x 7, 100 x 7

BAH! Grip was a limiting factor here today. Because of the damn thick a*s grips on the 105s-120s. Really pissed about this actually. Started off with the 120s for 6. Then the 110s for 7. Finally finished up with the 100s for 7. Grip was aching, and my traps were destroyed. Ow, I am gonna be sore from these.

Superset
Behind-back Barbell Wrist Curls / Cambered-bar Reverse Wrist Curls:

135 x 10 (2) / 50 x 10 (2)

OUCH! Lactic acid buildup in my forearms was just insane. Really beat on my lower arms today. Want bowling pin forearms! Started off with BTB wrist curls for 10, then immediately did a set of reverse wrist curls for 10. OW! Did another superset and my forearms were killed. Lactic acid buildup was awesome.

Seated Calf Raises:

4 Plates + 70 lbs. x 10 (5), 4 Plates x 30

Some good sets of calf raises today. Did 5 sets of 10 with 250 lbs. Nice sets here today I think. Really pumped up and exhausted my calves completely. Dropped down to 4 plates for 30 reps. Calves were BURNT!

Dropset
Nautilus Crunches:

Stack x 5, 200 x 5, 150 x 5

Nice dropset here today to finish up my workout. Set of 5 with the entire stack was just pure intensity. Crunched my abs hard there. Dropped down to 200 lbs. for 5, and finished up with 150 lbs. for 5. All 3 sets were intense.

Miscellaneous

Training Length: 35 minutes
Weight: 222 lbs. (gym)
Pain/Soreness: Still friggin' from that damn leg workout, jeez. Quads are completely aching, and my glutes and hamstrings are also really stiff.

General Comments

A good overall workout today I think, I was happy. Worked out late, from 8:30-9:05 or whatever it was. Sleep was OKAY last night, not too good I dont think. Weight at the gym was actually pretty low. Whatever.

MonStar
03-29-2003, 07:17 PM

Diet/Supplements

Decided to take all of my old un-opened supplements to GNC tonight and get a store credit. Damn did I get a store credit! Ended up with a few hundred bucks, bought a sh*tload of Cell-Tech and Isopure whey protein powder. Going to start taking a full 2 scoops of Cell-Tech postworkout. I KNOW that its overpriced, and I KNOW that its a lotta hype, but its solid creatine, dextrose, ALA, taurine, etc. etc. Anyway---hoping my recovery maybe a bit better with the extra carbs postworkout.

Meal 3: isopure protein drink
Meal 4: macaroni & cheese, organic soda
Meal 5: cranberry & almond cereal + skim milk

Estimated Calories: ~3000

Training---Rest

Miscellaneous

Sleep: 6 hours
Pain/Soreness: Feel okay today, not terribly sore. My friggin' traps are stiff as hell unfortunately.

General Comments

Damn, my traps are aching already! Not to mention my thighs and butt that are friggin' KILLING me. Damn. Havnt had a good leg workout in a long time. Sleep sucked last night, my damn mom woke me up after 6 hours. :mad::mad: Who the hell knows why.

Hercule
03-29-2003, 08:29 PM
You found out who makes those 'organic cookies'? I want some. 600 calories in a cookie, dang. I would much rather eat one of those than drink N-large.

MonStar
03-30-2003, 07:06 AM
Hercule: Ahh, I keep forgetting to look at the brand. I noticed that all the cookies are not that high-calorie though. Some are 450 calories, and others are around 500 or so. Something along those lines. I think I was mixed up when I said 600. Theyre all made with wheat flour, etc. Not too high in sugar considering. Thanks for chiming in man.

Pup
03-30-2003, 08:37 AM
Mike, since you seem to have problems with the diet, why not incorporate a couple days of HIIT cardio...its not catabolic on your system and actually pretty good for putting size on the quads, i mean you've never seen a fat sprinter ;)

Saturday Fever
03-30-2003, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by Hercule
You found out who makes those 'organic cookies'? I want some. 600 calories in a cookie, dang. I would much rather eat one of those than drink N-large.

You have failed. :(

Hercule
03-30-2003, 12:27 PM
Heh, SF, i mean drinking extra N-large. I still drink it after a workout, the Chocolate is actually pretty tasty. I would enjoy getting the same amount of calories from a cookie, than from 20OZ of N-large.

MonStar
03-30-2003, 12:34 PM
Pup: I have been putting some serious thought into it actually. More now than ever before. I am not quite sure just yet what I want to do. I am going to see how this new training program goes before I do anything else. Thanks a lot for chiming in though Pup, appreciate it man.

Saturday Fever: Haha, keep in mind also that an organic cookie only has 8-12g of protein where an N-Large shake I know has a lot more than that.

Hercule: Yeah man just keep in mind the difference in protein thats all I am saying. Ill have to get back to you on what brand those cookies are, lol. I know that at my store we sell them for around a $1.90. Which is pretty expensive for one damn cookie if you ask me. But I am sure that you could get a pretty good deal on an entire box, etc.

MonStar
03-30-2003, 04:21 PM

Diet/Supplements

Ordered some r-ALA today from 1Fast400.com, so hopefully that will be in the mail early next week sometime. I am not sure when it will come in. I am going to be taking 200 mg. postworkout, so that should help out with glycogen replenishment and all that. Never taken r-ALA before, so I am hoping for some good results. Again, only on training days, 200 mg., postworkout.

Preworkout: cereal + skim milk, choclate milk, orange juice, multi-vitamin/mineral 25 mg. ephedrine hcl, 2 Xenadrine EFX
Postworkout: 1 serving whey protein, 1 serving Cell-Tech
Meal 4: 6 mini choclate-eclairs
Meal 5: grilled chicken soft taco, choclate milk
Meal 6: 1 Wendy's cheeseburger, 1 Wendy's small frosty, 1 Wendy's 5-piece chicken tender
Meal 7: choclate milk

Estimated Calories: ~4000

Training---Back, Biceps

Underhand Pullups:

BW x 6, +45 x 4, +90 x 2.5, +25 x 9.5!

Some DAMN hard sets of chins today, really like these a lot. I didnt like them too much the other day because I weighed a bit more so it made it tougher to do them. Anyway started off with BW for 6, easy. Then added a single plate for 4 reps. Hit 2 plates for a double. BAH! Should have gotten 3 with 2 plates, whatever. Dropped down to a quarter plate, for 9.5! This is a PB for me by a long shot actually. My previous PB for +25 is like 7 or so.

Behind-neck Pullups:

BW x 5.5 (2)

Really like doing these, just to hit my lats right under my armpits. Feel it a TON in my lats. Used just my BW for 2 sets of 5.5 reps. Nothing too hard here, some good lat contractions I think. I was happy with both sets.

Supported Rows:

6 Plates x 2.5, 5 Plates x 7.5!, 4 Plates x 10

JEEZ! Nothing special here at all. My lats were a lot more exhausted than I thought from the damn chins. Used 6 plates, instead of 7, for 2.5 reps. I was gonna try 7 plates for a double, glad I didnt. Dropped down to 5 plates for 7.5 reps! PB here, last shot at 5 plates I only got 5-6 reps. Finished up wth 4 plates for 10, nice lat contractions.

Stiff-arm Cable Pullovers:

140 x 8, 120 x 10

Some good sets here I think. I am not sure how much I like these, cant decide. I tend to feel these in my lats a lot more than I do Nautilus pullovers, but whatever. Good sets here today. I was happy with my back workout overall.

Standing Barbell Curls:

135 x 6, 115 x 6, 95 x 7

Damn, wanted to hit 8 with 135. Oh well, whatever. My biceps were dead from the chins and rows. Dropped down to 115 for 6 reps, ouch. My biceps were dead. 95 lbs. for 7 was even torture, lol. All 3 sets were pretty damn good though.

Alternating Crossbody Dumbbell Hammer Curls:

75 x 6/6!, 60 x 7/7

Wow, really like these. Talked to Belial about them and I really enjoyed them. Havnt done them for YEARS! LOL. Anyway, used the 75s for my first set for 6 reps on each arm. Then dropped the weight to the 60s for 7 reps on each arm. Both sets were good I think.

Miscellaneous

Training Length: 50 minutes
Sleep: 1 + 4 + 3 hours
Weight: 221 lbs. (gym)
Pain/Soreness: Not too sore today I dont think. Traps are a little sore from those damn shrugs, but other than that I think I feel pretty damn good.

General Comments

Training length was good I think, whatever. Sleep SUCKED! Wow, really really sh*tty sleep last night. All in all I ended up getting a good amount, but it was just so broken up it was ridiculous. REM was probably nonexistant. Weight was okay, not too bad. Traps and forearms are aching!

Hercule
03-30-2003, 04:27 PM
Nice workout mike. I should start incorporating chins into my workout. I couldn't ever do even 1 chin without assistance, but now since my lats are considerably stronger, maybe I can polish off 2 or 3:). LoL.

MonStar
03-30-2003, 04:47 PM
Hercule: Thanks for the support man, appreciate it. Yeah I was pretty happy with my workout today I guess, I dont know. Would really like to see myself hit +90 for more than just a couple reps in the future. Would be great to eventually hit +90 for 5 or something along those lines. Who knows, well see what happens. Chins are a GREAT back exercise man, I recommend them 100%.

ryan1117
03-30-2003, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by MonStar
75 x 6/6!
60 x 7/7
Comments: Wow, really like these. Talked to Belial about them and I really enjoyed them. Havnt done them for YEARS! LOL. Anyway, used the 75s for my first set for 6 reps on each arm. Then dropped the weight to the 60s for 7 reps on each arm. Both sets were good I think.

How are these done? Do you just bring up the DB to the opposite shoulder? Are they supposed to have an advantage over normal hammer curls? Either way, that is a hell of a lot of weight!

MonStar
03-30-2003, 04:59 PM
ryan: Exactly man.

Do you just bring up the DB to the opposite shoulder?

Right on the money there. You simply bring the DB to the opposite shoulder, and alternate back and forth obviously. Great exercise. I personally feel these more in my brachialis (muscle between my biceps and triceps) and less in my brachioradialis (biggest forearm muscle). With normal hammer curls I dont feel it a TON in my bracialis the way that I do with these. Also, obviously I can go FAR heavier with this style.

MonStar
03-31-2003, 11:11 AM

Diet/Supplements

Meal 3: low-carb cookie
Meal 4: macaroni & cheese, organic soda
Meal 5: nachos & cheese, 2% milk
Meal 6: 1/2 egg + ham + cheese breakfast sandwich, hash browns, 1/2 banana split

Estimated Calories: ~5000

DAMNIT! LOL, went to Denny's tonight around 10:30 tonight. What a mistake. Well, I had fun but me eating anything at all was just a mistake. Packed in a good 1500 calories during that meal. Not the smartest move in the world obviously, SH*T!

Training---Rest

Miscellaneous

Sleep: 7.5 hours
Pain/Soreness: Lats are really stiff today, which is a really really good thing I think. I really enjoy being sore and stiff because I feel like I had a decent workout the day before.

General Comments

Rest day today. Been putting a lot of thought into my exercises, and just sticking with some good basic exercises week to week and I came up with this for now. These are going to be my exercises for the next month or so I think.

Chest, Triceps.
Flat BB Presses
Flat DB Flyes
Lying Cambered-bar Ext.
One-arm Pressdowns

Legs, Lower Back.
Deadlifts/Squats
Leg Presses/SLDLs
Leg Ext.
Pull-throughs/Hypers
Misc. Ab Exercise

Delts, Traps, Misc.
BB Upright Rows
DB Laterals
DB Shrugs
Misc. Calf Exercise
Misc. Forearm Exercise

Back, Biceps.
Chins
Bentover Rows
Supported Rows
BB Curls
Hammers

Neil
03-31-2003, 11:16 AM
What's the set and rep scheme look like?

MonStar
03-31-2003, 02:02 PM
Neil: At this point just varying everything a great deal actually. So for the most part the reps could be anywhere from 1-15, probably averaging around 5-10 or something along those lines I dont know yet. Well see what happens, I like mixing things up. Oh, and for the sets, most likely 2-4 per exercise.

ericg
03-31-2003, 02:40 PM
Cool to see that you stuck with westside as long as you did.

Nice workouts so far man. DL is crazy.

What is your hand placement on the chins (how far, shoulder i assume)?

Good luck with Mike, looking forward to the journal as always.

Skillz
03-31-2003, 04:47 PM
new journal looks tight, good job man! i've always wanted to give westside a try, i might sumtime soon...u made mad progress on that

keep it up wit the new journal!

Skillz

MonStar
03-31-2003, 05:38 PM
eric: Hey, thanks for chiming in man. Havnt heard from you in a while. Yeah Westside was a hell of program while it lasted. The bottom line was, am I a powerlifter or a bodybuilder? And I definitely lean towards bodybuilding. Although powerlifting is loads of fun I prefer bodybuilding. The underhand chins that I do are shoulder-width grip. And the behind-neck chins I do are fairly wide, probably double shoulder-width. I prefer BTN chins, though.

Skillz: Yeah go for it man, Westside is great program. Especially if you tend to lean towards the strength side of the iron game. I just personally prefer a BACK day, etc., lol. Thanks again for chiming in man.

Hercule
03-31-2003, 06:36 PM
New routine looks great. I will be looking forward to some pics in a couple of months. GOod luck:thumbup:.

chris mason
03-31-2003, 07:01 PM
The exercises look fine to me. I think that you need to find those exercises that you feel work well and go with them.

Skillz
03-31-2003, 09:17 PM
yeah i kno wat ur saying...actually the only reason probably that i havent started westside yet is because of the no back day...and the fact that its 4 days rather than 3...i might sumtime try it, maybe this summer

also lookin forward to seein pics myself

Skillz

MonStar
03-31-2003, 10:15 PM
Hercule: Yeah man I really really hope that my results with this program are good. I dont really see why they wouldnt be, but who knows. I am hoping to pack on some size, and honestly, I know that this isnt really possible with my diet, etc. But I would like to see myself lose a few pounds of flab around my midsection. If thats even possible at this point, lol.

chris: Okay thanks man, appreciate you checking this out for me. Yeah I agree that finding the exercises for you are a big step, and just sticking with those exercises. Well see what happens.

Skillz: Yeah Westside has its ups and downs just like any other program. I really didnt care for the no back day part of it at all. By the time I got to my back work on my ME and DE bench days, I was just exhausted. Not enough focus on my lats for my liking. But thats just my personal opinion. I LOVE back day, lol.

MonStar
04-01-2003, 07:18 AM

Diet/Supplements

Preworkout: multi-vitamin/mineral 25 mg. ephedrine hcl, 2 Zantrex-3
Meal 4: 1 Wendy's small frosty, 1 Wendy's cheeseburger
Meal 5: peanut butter & banana sandwich, skim milk
Meal 6: Nitro-tech shake
Meal 7: peanut butter & banana sandwich, 2% milk
Meal 8: skim milk

Training---Chest, Triceps

Flat Barbell Presses:

135 x 8, 185 x 6, 225 x 4, 275 x 2, 315 x 2!, 275 x 6!, 225 x 5 (paused)

Some DAMN good sets of flat BB bench today! I was EXTREMELY pleased with my strength here, wow. Didnt expect to hit 315 for a double AT ALL. Talk about happy! Started off with 135 for 8, 185 for 6, and then 225 for 4. Not too bad here. 275 for a double actually felt heavy. Upped it to 3 plates on each side, for TWO! First rep went up pretty damn easy, second was slower. Got pissed and shoved the bar through the sticking point. 275 for 6 was also a huge PB for me! Oh well. Unfortunately according to the 1RM calculator my max is still estimated at 325, f*ck. I did a quick paused set to finish up my benching. Ouch!

Flat Dumbbell Flyes:

75 x 8 (2), 65 x 8

Some awesome sets of flat flyes today, really enjoy this exercise. Was going to include incline DBs today but I decided to just do 2 chest movements. No reason to throw in another exercise for no reason. I think I can build a large chest off of bench and flyes. Those 2 exercises have always been good for me, ESPECIALLY flyes. 75s for 2 sets of 8 was good. Chest was pumped and dead. 65s for 8 was also painful, lol.

Incline Cambered-bar Extensions:

135 x 4, 155 x 3!, 105 x 9

Some good sets of incline skulls here today. Lowered the bar down to the top of my head. Really nice triceps contractions and overall feeling of exhaustion in my triceps. 155 for a triple was nice, definitely hit failure there. Dropped down to 105 for 9. Both sets were good I think. Really enjoy skulls on an incline.

One-arm Cable Pressdowns:

120 x 6/6, 100 x 8/8

Nice sets of pressdowns, triceps were DEAD before I even did this exercise. Used 120 lbs. for a set of 6 on each arm. Then dropped down to 100 lbs. for 8 reps on each arm. Blasted my triceps hard, they were fried.

Miscellaneous

Training Length: 40 minutes
Weight: 220 lbs. (gym)
Pain/Soreness: Today I feel good I think. Not too sore at all today. Lats may still be a LITTLE stiff, nothing too bad at all though I dont think.

General Comments

AHH! Shouldnt have gone to Denny's last night. Felt gassy and bloated during my workout today. Obviously not the greatest feeling in the world. Oh well. Sleep was pretty good last night. Weight on the scale was actually good considering how much I friggin' ate last night. Stupid stupid stupid. Delts and lats and all that are ACHING!

ericg
04-01-2003, 07:48 AM
LOL, gotta love Dennys food huh?! I got food poisoning there once. That was the worste I have ever felt in my life. Becareful.

Nice job with the benching PBs Mike!

MonStar
04-01-2003, 10:08 AM
eric: Hey man, thanks for chiming in. Haha, Denny's is great! LOL. Not the smartest place to eat when I am trying to avoid getting fat, but whatever. I enjoyed the taste of the food, lol. My strength this morning though was EXCELLENT. Bench press has always been my weakness, but today I felt extremely powerful in the movement.

Coke
04-01-2003, 10:25 AM
:) I'm happy for you. I'd be pleased too with all that weight you are throwing around!

MonStar
04-01-2003, 10:30 AM
CoCoa: Hey thanks a lot man, appreciate the support. I was really pleased about bench strength today, I dont know where the hell it came from. I certainly did not expect to hit 3 plates for a double, thats for sure.

Mik
04-01-2003, 11:02 AM
Nice bench strength there Mike! Grats on the PRs.

MonStar
04-01-2003, 03:32 PM
Mik: Hey thanks a lot man, appreciate the kind words. I was extremely pleased with my bench strength today. I am most likely going to take it a bit easy next week. I dont know just yet, well see what happens. If I get a good amount of sleep and a surplus of calories everyday, maybe Ill be able to get away with training heavy consistently.

Hercule
04-01-2003, 03:41 PM
WHAT THE FOCK?!?! 315 for a DOUBLE?! Sh*t man. Thats freakin insane. Excellent, excellent work. That is just freakin crazy. Keep up the good work man.

MonStar
04-01-2003, 05:04 PM
Hercule: LOL, you seem to be more excited than I was Herc. Thanks for the support, really appreciate it man. I was extremely pleased with my bench strength today. Didnt expect to hit 315 for a double, trust me on that one. Tomorrow morning I am going to shoot for 455 on squats, deep, for a double/triple. Well see what happens I guess.

ectx
04-01-2003, 05:11 PM
315 for two is awesome Mike. That's my goal for the year,...I'm still a freaking long way off though, LOL. Gotta love the junk food man.

MonStar
04-01-2003, 06:06 PM
ectx: Hey thanks a lot man, appreciate the support a ton. Good luck hitting your goal for this year, youll make it no doubt. 3 plates on each side is a HELL of a great feeling too. I am looking forward to hitting 3 plates + a quarter plate on each side maybe by the beginning of summer of all goes well. Who knows. Right now I am still a good 40 lbs. off of that.

MonStar
04-02-2003, 06:44 AM

Diet/Supplements

Preworkout: multi-vitamin/mineral, 25 mg. ephedrine hcl, 2 Zantrex-3
Meal 4: 1 Wendy's cheeseburger, 1 Wendy's small frosty
Meal 5: 1 organic cookie
Meal 6: macaroni & cheese, organic soda
Meal 7: hot dog, skim milk
Meal 8: 5" turkey sub

Training---Legs, Lower Back

What a sh*tty workout today! I am really rethinking me entire AM working out routine. I always get up and go to the gym with little or no food in me, and I think its really starting to show. I think that working out in the afternoon/evening maybe a much better idea. I am still thinking about the whole thing but today during squats I felt lightheaded, etc. And that is definitely not a good sign. Oh well.

Squats:

135 x 8, 225 x 6, 315 x 4, 405 x 2, 315 x 5

Some okay sets of squats today I think, but I felt was HORRIBLE. :(:( Felt lethargic and lightheaded, which I dont understand. Sleep wasnt bad, and my diet yesterday was not that bad. When I did 405 it just felt like a million pounds. I know that I havnt squatted heavy in a long time, so maybe that had something to do with it. Regardless, I really hope that in 2 weeks when I do squats again, it doesnt go like this. 315 for 5 after 4 plates was just painful, flexibility felt terrible, as did my strength.

Stiff-legged Deadlifts:

315 x 5, 405 x 3!

Some good sets of SLDLs today I think. Really enjoy these, never really did them before. Used a mixed grip which I also really like. Started off with 3 plates for 5 reps, ouch. These beat on my lower back and hamstrings a TON. I feel like theyre just painful conventional deadlifts, lol. Upped it to 4 plates for a triple. That was just torture, jeez. 3rd rep was very slow, oh well. Hamstrings were fried.

Nautilus Leg Extensions:

Stack x 8 (3)

Good sets today of leg extensions I think. Quad contractions were nice here today. Used the entire stack which is like 250 I think or something pathetic like that, for 3 sets of 8. Hit my thighs hard, enough to get a good burn going. One of these days I am going to try and rep out with the entire stack and see if I can get like 20 reps or something along those lines.

Rope Cable Pull Throughs:

Stack x 8 (2)

Eh, not too much to say here today. Nice sets. I was exhausted.

Nautilus Crunches:

200 x 8 (2)

Some good sets of crunches today, hit my abs hard. My entire body was just tanked for some reason. I dont know what the problem was. Whatever, I hope that this doesnt happen again. Its really rare that I am just completely tired and drained in the gym. So maybe I need to start getting 8 hours of sleep every night instead of 7.

Miscellaneous

Pain/Soreness: OW! Chest and triceps are friggin' killing me today. DOMS in my chest is just friggin' insane. I didnt think it was going to be this bad to be honest. Whatever.

General Comments

Feel good today I think, I dont know. Leg session honestly was not good. Oh well. Nothing that I can do about it now. Today I have friggin' stupid class from 10-12:30 and then I have to run to Honda because my damn check engine light came on in my Accord. Anyway, hopefully my r-ALA will be coming in the mail today from 1Fast400.com. He is usually pretty good about immediate shipping, etc.

Mik
04-02-2003, 07:45 AM
Mike, I would say your problem was lifting with no food in you. Whenever I end up lifting without eating I feel like everything is 50% heavier. Still, nice session man.

Sheik
04-02-2003, 09:23 AM
WOW, awsome Monstar. you don't seem to have any lagging body parts in the strength department!

keep up the INTENSITY!

Magnus
04-02-2003, 12:39 PM
Mike what 1RM calculator do you use?

MonStar
04-02-2003, 08:09 PM
Mik: Yeah I agree man, I think that training on an empty stomach is pretty much retarded. I dont know why I feel like I always favor training in the morning rather than training at night. I usually always have GREAT workouts in the afternoon/evening---I really have to start getting into that habit. Thanks for chiming in Mik, appreciate it.

Sheik: Hey thanks for chiming in man, really appreciate it. I dont even realize who is reading my journal, lol. Yeah I really dont think that I have any WEAK bodyparts (strength wise), some are stronger than others though. Oh well, its all good. I really would like to see my back strength fly up. Who knows.

Magnus: I use the 1RM calculator from this site:

http://www.sover.net/~timw/orm.htm

Its really pretty good to be honest. Close to completely accurate on the exercises I have used it with.

MonkeyBoy
04-03-2003, 06:54 AM
You have some awesome strength. I think if you cleaned up that diet you would do even better....but hey to each his own! gj!

Coke
04-03-2003, 06:57 AM
Awesome work guy! :strong: :thumbup:

Sheik
04-03-2003, 07:58 AM
To be honest I have been lurking around this forum for quite some time now. As you can see I haven't been all that active, I thought I should try to be more active since I have learned alot from this board. Maybe I can help out too :)

I am interested in your journal because I think we have certain lifts that are very similar, so I am curious about your progress etc

PUSH it up man!

MonStar
04-03-2003, 12:04 PM
MonkeyBoy: Thanks a lot man, appreciate the support. Nice to see some new faces here in my journal. I am not sure if you have a journal or not---if you dont, I suggest starting one, and if you do, Ill be sure to check it out. Yeah I have some new ideas for my strength/size training that I am going to post in my next journal entry, so you can see what you think of them if you like.

CoCoa: Thanks a lot, appreciate it. :):)

Sheik: Yeah man, you do seem to know a good deal about working out, etc. I remember you used to have a journal here at WBB, I think you should fish it up and keep it up. Keeping a journal is a GREAT way to track your progress if you ask me. You can look back and see what worked for you and what didnt. Just my $.02. Thanks for the support big guy, and keep up those dips! LOL, from what I remember you hit 4 plates around your waist. Insane, keep it up. I remember trying to keep up with you on dips back when I used to do them when they didnt bother my sternum. After hitting +180, I was finished with them. Sternum pain was unbearable.

MonStar
04-03-2003, 12:26 PM

Diet/Supplements

Meal 1: 1/2 peanut butter sandwich, 1% milk, multi-vitamin/mineral, 25 mg. ephedrine hcl, 2 Zantrex-3
Meal 2: 1 white choclate cookie, whole milk
Meal 3: 1 bag fritos
Meal 4: 4 buttermilk waffles + maple syrup, 2% milk

Training---Rest

Miscellaneous

Sleep: 2 + 8 hours
Pain/Soreness: Jeez, OW! Sore as hell today. My chest and triceps are still aching, along with my hamstrings and glutes and quads. Mid-traps are also really sore, I guess from the SLDLs yesterday. Might take it easy on shrugs tomorrow.

General Comments

Much thanks for Belial, for helping me out with my training. After talking to him, we have come up with a pretty GOOD way to setup my rep-scheme I think. First of all, I am trying to gain size and strength, without hitting plateaus. As most of us know, being completely natural, its pretty easy to get stuck on a friggin' plateau. Anyway---this is basically how it is going to go. I am going to do 3-week rotations for my rep-scheme.

Bench/Squat
Week 1---test 8RM
Week 2---test 3RM
Week 3---test 1RM

Deadlift
Week 1---test 5RM
Week 2---test 3RM
Week 3---test 1RM

Bentover Rows/BB Curls/WG Uprights/Skullcrushers
Week 1---test 8RM
Week 2---test 5RM
Week 3---test 3RM

As you can see basically all I am going to be doing is working around testing my maxes. But different rep-maxes, this way hopefully I wont plateau. And if I do plateau, Ill work from that point. So Ill see how things go with this new rep-scheme, hopefully it will work out well. I have a really good feeling about it.

By the way, I am obviously going to mix things up. Not test my 1RM for all my exercises in the same week. I know that my immune system couldnt handle that.

Sheik
04-03-2003, 12:37 PM
hey, good memory!
I have contemplated about starting a journal(on here).
we will see.
maybe in a couple weeks, when I start my cutting. :(
the dreaded cutting for summer. not looking forward to that. But I am the heaviest I have been in years, so believe me it is needed!

Saturday Fever
04-03-2003, 01:28 PM
If your goals are size and strength, the plateaus would be (fairly obviously) all strength related. This is why Westside (no I'm not saying go back to it) is so effective. You juggle things to increase your strength, but the assistance work (and variations done therein) builds size, which in turn increases your capacity to build strength. Ask Belial what his strength was like 40 pounds ago, or ask chris with the recent booms in strength he's seen. Or ask me. I'm not the biggest or the strongest, but my application has done very well. Just food for thought.

MonStar
04-03-2003, 05:43 PM
Sheik: I really think that you starting a journal here at WBB would be a GREAT idea Sheik, no doubt about it. You can have a lot of intelligent members giving you tips, etc. I just think overall it has really helped me out. I cant imagine training at all anymore without an online journal of some sort. I have just been doing it so long. Good luck cutting man---hope all goes well.

Saturday Fever: I know Westside is based on a ton of excellent principles. The results were excellent, I mean they really were. The only problem was that I didnt have a back day, and I didnt enjoy the workouts enough. Primarily looking forward to going to the gym should be a huge factor I think. And youre exactly right by saying that juggling things is the best way to increase strength---and then by using other exercises (assistance in Westside) you build size.

SquareHead
04-03-2003, 08:24 PM
Yeah I agree man, I think that training on an empty stomach is pretty much retarded.

MonStar,

Come on dude. Is that the only way you could say it? I have an aunt who is mentaly retarted. I dont think she would appritate being the object of your direct insult. Some times I wonder about poeple who pick on mentaly retarted people. Why would you do that? Is it their fault? tuttut

Hercule
04-03-2003, 08:42 PM
I presume you were kidding. If not, come on....

Saturday Fever
04-04-2003, 12:07 AM
I think you missed my point completely. You talk about wanting to get stronger and avoid plateaus, but you want to use a bodybuilding split that focuses on things like 8RM and such. You obviously don't want to get bigger because you get angry everytime you gain weight. All I was saying is that if you want to get stronger and avoid plateaus, structure your routine accordingly.

Saturday Fever
04-04-2003, 12:10 AM
The only problem was that I didnt have a back day, and I didnt enjoy the workouts enough.

Say what? If you wanted more back work, do more back work. And what's not enjoyable about setting new PRs every week?

MonStar
04-04-2003, 07:09 AM
SquareHead: Okay, sorry, I guess. I dont think saying something retarded is a big deal. I am not referring to any specific person or anything like that at all. When I say something is stupid I dont have stupid people saying, "hey, dont make fun of me."

Hercule: I agree, I am hoping that he is kidding as well.

Saturday Fever: Setting PBs week to week was great I think. I mean it made Westside interesting. However, I personally did not care for the entire program. The tons of lower back and hamstring work that I did as assistance work. The light days I didnt really like that much. The entire style of that program was geared towards a powerlifter, which I am not. The program may work perfectly, but if I do not enjoy it, I am obviously not going to stick with it. HST (Hypertrophy Specific Training) was not a lot of fun, I didnt really enjoy it. The results were not bad at all, I lost some fat, etc. But because I did not look forward to my workouts I did not stick with it.

Xg74
04-04-2003, 09:14 AM
The point is to use Westside's principles to achieve your goals, meaning you could change your exercises every 1-3 weeks, and such like that, but still make it more to do with hypertrophy.

TMan
04-04-2003, 09:59 AM
Monstar, do you want you want to do. The bottom line is that you should enjoy your training. What's the point of dragging your ass into a gym 3-4 times a week to force yourself to do a routine you don't like? IMO, as long as you are progessing and working hard, just about any sensible routine will work.

Good luck!

MonStar
04-04-2003, 12:07 PM
Xg74: Yeah Ill see how what I am going to be doing works for me. Hitting different rep-maxes week to week. I think that will be extremely effective personally, but well see what happens. Try and add 5 lbs. or so to my 8RM, 3RM, etc. Just see what happens. Again, hoping for good things!

TMan: I completely agree with you here man. If youre not having fun---why the hell would you want to go to the gym? I mean with a bodybuilding split I have tons of fun. And really look forward to every single workout that I have. When I was doing Westside I looked forward to a few workouts, and honestly, dreaded others. I think that working out is all about the proper mindset. And when youre training on a program you dont enjoy, you really cant have the proper mindset.

MonStar
04-04-2003, 12:07 PM

Diet/Supplements

Started my r-ALA today, I am wondering if I will notice any kind of effect from this stuff. I am already getting 200 mg. regular ALA from the Cell-Tech, so I have a feeling that I wont. Who knows.

Meal 1: 1/2 peanut butter sandwich, 2% milk, multi-vitamin/mineral
Meal 2: whole-grain cereal + 2% milk
Preworkout: 25 mg. ephedrine hcl, 2 Zantrex-3
Postworkout: 1 serving whey protein, 1 serving Cell-Tech, 200 mg. r-ALA
Meal 6: macaroni & cheese, organic soda
Meal 7: 3 slices pizza

Estimated Calories: ~4500 :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Training---Shoulders, Traps, Miscellaneous

Wide-grip Barbell Upright Rows:

45 x 8, 95 x 6, 115 x 4, 135 x 2, 150 x 8!, 115 x 8

Today I am testing my 8RM for this exercise. Some DAMN good sets today of WG uprights, I really really enjoy this exercise a lot. It seems to TEAR up my side delts completely. Which is exactly what I want to do. I am not a big fan of OH presses because they hit my front delts too much---and heavy benching along with heavy OH presses = overtrained front delts for me. Anyway, worked up to 150 lbs. Used a rep-max calculator and it was pretty damn accurate. 150 lbs. was just the right weight for me to hit failure at 8 reps. Next time (in about 3 weeks) when I test my 8RM again for this exercise Ill try 155 lbs. Finished up with 115 for 8, ouch! Delts were shot.

Dumbbell Lateral Raises:

45 x 6, 35 x 8 (2)

Nice sets of laterals here today. Last week I did these as a triple dropset, I think I prefer to do straight sets actually. Used the 45s for my first set for 6 reps. Nice. Delts looked good in the mirror. Dropped down to 35s for 2 sets of 8 reps. Delts were really beat up, especially on the 2nd set.

Dumbbell Shrugs:

100 x 8 (2)

Nice sets of shrugs here today. Going to be staying around the 100s for a while just to focus on trap contractions and all that. I am not really striving for tremendously large traps---so I am not going to go TOO heavy on these. Just enough to keep my traps in proportion.

Behind-back Barbell Wrist Curls:

135 x 8, 135 x 6, 115 x 8, 95 x 12

Some good sets here today. Basically trying to do some extra forearm work to keep my lower arms in proportion to my upper arms. When I wear a tank-top it really looks like my upper arms are too big for my forearms. But somehow, when I wear a short-sleeved shirt my forearms look very large---to me at least. LOL, anyway, good sets here today.

Seated Calf Raises:

6 Plates x 10 (4), 4 Plates x 30

Nice sets of seated calf raises. Really like these a lot. Used 270 lbs., or six 45s, for 4 sets of 10. Then burned out my calves with 4 plates for 30 reps---OW! Lactic acid buildup was excellent here today. Really pleased with the feeling of exhaustion in my calves.

Miscellaneous

Sleep: 6.5 hours
Pain/Soreness: Ouch! My legs are still friggin' aching. Lower back is stiff, mid-traps are a little stiff, just not recovering very quickly. Need more SLEEP!

General Comments

Feel good today I think. Really like this new way of doing my reps that Alex (Belial) and I talked about. It really helps me continually change things up and prevent myself from getting bored and switching programs, lol. Anyway, today I work from 3-7, so that shouldnt be too bad. I really like 4-hour shifts.

Saturday Fever
04-04-2003, 12:20 PM
I'm not trying to nitpick or be an butthole, but why do you feel working in those RM ranges will work, when your main goal is strength and avoiding plateaus? You're going to establish an 8RM, but then not work to that goal again for 3 weeks. Then you'll repeat the process with 3RM, etc. Realize that increasing a 3RM over the period of 6 weeks does not correlate to an increased 8RM. You're basically going to be training for 3 goals in 3 week spurts with 2 week breaks in between each goal.

Otter
04-04-2003, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Saturday Fever
I'm not trying to nitpick or be an butthole, but why do you feel working in those RM ranges will work, when your main goal is strength and avoiding plateaus?

I'll be the butthole and venture an answer ... because Belial happens to be pretty strong and he said so.

Mstar -- didn't you once say that Westside was the most fun you'd ever had lifting because of the variety?

I see less variety in this program because although you'll be working in different rep ranges, you'll be working the same exercises week to week.

Magnus
04-04-2003, 12:32 PM
Mike, what defines a "fun" program for you? PR's? Lifting heavy? Going every day? Sweating? etc......

MonStar
04-04-2003, 12:42 PM
Saturday Fever: I know youre not trying to nitpick, etc. I dont think that you are. I can understand where you are coming from with you opinion on this entire way of training. I am going to give it a shot. And youre exactly right---try and up each of my maxes. An 8RM, 3RM, and 1RM. Or whatever the case maybe with that exercise. I think that this style of training will work wonderfully, but thats just what I think. Rather than going for my 1RM week to week, or going for my 3RM week to week, etc. I guess time will tell how this works out for me. My goals are strength and size. In the 8-rep range that will take care of size I think. And the 3 and 1-rep range will take of the strength, hopefully---again, time will tell how this works for me.

Otter: Youre right about me saying that Westside was fun because of the variety. Certain times when I was training on Westside I did really enjoy it. The variety was one good thing about Westside. The actual exercises and actual workouts I personally did not care for. Changing the exercises on pretty much a daily basis was fun, however. And I am not doing this program because Belial is strong, thats absurd. He suggested this because it worked well for him in the past, so I decided to give it a shot.

Magnus: For me, what is fun, is doing the exercises that I LIKE. And with a bodybuilding split, Ill pick whatever exercises I want. And do them. Going extremely heavy sometimes and backing off other times. Just basically training however I want. And that is what is fun to me. Hitting new PBs is always a great feeling obviously, along with adding some size/development to certain bodyparts. But the bottom line is ENJOYING what I do, while I am in the gym.

Alex.V
04-04-2003, 04:15 PM
SF, for me, a heavy double or triple translates almost directly to 1RM strength. The focus needed, the full body synchronization, etc... all the same. But it's not QUITE as taxing. Essentially, the 1- and 3- RM sessions develop limit strength, and the ~8 rep day is more for recovery/limited hypertrophy. There's no saying these all work at cross purposes... I had a hell of a lot of success using this kind of progression on my deadlift and bench, and I've seen similar ideas being used with good success in other people.

It's fun. The 1RM session is hugely taxing, but exhilarating. The 3RM session still lets you move heavy weights, but it's not so mentally exhausting that you feel drained afterwards. And the 8RM session is a nice, almost relaxing (by comparison), more bodybuilding focused workout.

Saturday Fever
04-04-2003, 04:24 PM
I understand that, but he doesn't want to bodybuild. I say that because he gets pissed everytime he gains weight. Likewise, the 8RM and 1RM work doesn't lend too well to improving the 3RM work since he only does 3RM work once every 3 weeks. But to each his own. If it works, I'll eat my words.

Magnus
04-04-2003, 04:46 PM

Magnus: For me, what is fun, is doing the exercises that I LIKE. And with a bodybuilding split, Ill pick whatever exercises I want. And do them. Going extremely heavy sometimes and backing off other times. Just basically training however I want. And that is what is fun to me...But the bottom line is ENJOYING what I do, while I am in the gym.

OK. This kind of answers the question. You are basically saying: "I'm going to do what is fun and what is fun is doing what I want to do." So training however you want is fun - but haven't you been doing that??? You have voluntarily tried many programs. When you did Westside you added exercises that you liked. When you go in the gym you have chosen what you have done in the past, correct? And you usually say how great every program is and that suddenly drop it cold, listing various reasons that contradict what you said while on the program.

What Magnus meant regarding fun is aspects such as volume, frequency, and overall goals. Do you like to lift everyday? To failure? 1RM or high rep? etc.

And you DO flip when you gain weight. You are obsessed with strength, and yet maintain you are a bodybuilder, but don't aim for hypertrophy as your primary objective. Having fun is definitely important in the gym, so you should do what you want to do. However if you found it fun to go in the gym and bench the bar 132 times while drinking a pepsi that wouldn't be very helpful for your strength or muscle growth....

Otter
04-04-2003, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by Belial
The 1RM session is hugely taxing, but exhilarating. The 3RM session still lets you move heavy weights, but it's not so mentally exhausting that you feel drained afterwards. And the 8RM session is a nice, almost relaxing (by comparison), more bodybuilding focused workout.

But isn't the end result in all three scenarios a rep max, regardless of how many reps? I don't see how those sessions would differ in terms of exhaustion, considering that in each case, you should be exerting maximum effort to reach each max.

If it truly is a 3RM or an 8RM, the end result should always be near failure or absolute failure ... otherwise it's not really a max. Given that, I don't see how the level of exhaustion, mental fatigue, etc... should be any different.

If this style of training involved higher reps with a weight that wouldn't achieve failure (e.g. a light day or recovery/speed work ala Westside), I could see the difference.

MonStar
04-04-2003, 06:13 PM
Belial: I agree that this way of manipulating the reps should work great. Nice to hear that you had such good success with it as well. I really think that, like you said, the 8-rep range will basically be a bodybuilding style workout. And then the lower-rep sets will be a bit more geared towards strength. I think its going to be great just for changing things up and not doing the same ol' reps week to week. I think the same exercises is great, but when I am doing the same reps too, my workouts start to get really redundant. Thanks again Alex for the suggestion about this rep program.

Saturday Fever: Yeah, like I said, I am going to give it a shot. And if I like it Ill stick with it, of course. All I know is that I really love a bodybuilding split, and I really enjoy mixing up the reps. Just very enjoyable for me to train this way.

Magnus: I have been training the way that I want to, in a sense---but not completely. For example Westside still had a lot of structure to it, regardless of the exact exercises I chose to use. For example on DE squat/DL day, I did speed deads or speed squats, and followed that up with some assistance work. I could sort of select assistance exercises that I liked, but overall, it was all just pull-throughs, or hypers, or GMs, or SLDLs, etc. I mean it got old extremely fast. I cant get over guys like LATMAN, and Paul, and Adam, who have done Westside religiously for a long, long time.

What Magnus meant regarding fun is aspects such as volume, frequency, and overall goals. Do you like to lift everyday? To failure? 1RM or high rep? etc.

I prefer a 4-day per week split. A 3-day per week split I feel like I am never training. Volume I usually tend to keep pretty low. My results with a lower-volume program have always been much favorable than that of a high-volume program. My muscles tend to get tanked pretty damn easily. Overall guys are strength and muscular development. I am NOT afraid of lean weight gain. I mean in the past 4-5 months I have added a good 5-10 lbs. to my frame. Those are the kinds of gains that I want to see. Gradual, lean, weight gains. Brittany (my girlfriend of 2 years) and I took a break, and recently we started talking again after being apart a month or 2. She commented again and again on how much bigger I had gotten and how she didnt remember me this big, etc. So obviously I am doing something right.

Otter: Well, with me at least, a 1RM lift is FAR more taxing on my system than a 3RM or an 8RM. And youre exactly right about hitting absolute muscular failure---at 8 reps. Or it would not be an 8-rep max. I will see how things go of course on this program. If for some reason my results are just terrible, then I will work from that point. I have a feeling though that Ill get very good results with this way of training. Hopefully smashing 350 on bench by June 1st. Hopefully.

Magnus
04-04-2003, 07:28 PM
Well...hopefully this split keeps increasing your strength and size (which westside did btw). It just doesn't seem like you know what you really want, or get way too bent out of shape about so many things. Relax, yes have fun, and don't worry about everything so much.

MonStar
04-04-2003, 10:40 PM
Magnus: Yeah man, hopefully. I think that everything will turn out well with this split and the way that I am going to be training. I mean its not Westside, but that doesnt mean that it wont work. Youre absolutely right about what you said here:

Relax, yes have fun, and don't worry about everything so much.

I dont know why I stress about a lot of things when it comes to my training and everything like that. I am starting back with a psychologist and I am going to talk to him about OCD in a lot of aspects in my personality. (OCD = Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) Thanks for chiming in Magnus. You should start a journal!

Skillz
04-04-2003, 11:03 PM
real nice upright rows man! same wit ur laterals, looks like ur hittin ur shoulders pretty hard, keep up the good work!

man i really really like how you organize ur journal, i havent checked out enough logs in this forum, but yours is the best one neatness wise i would say i really like it alot, very detailed and organized

keep it up, nice one!
Skillz

Silverback
04-05-2003, 01:36 AM
damn i didnt realise that you had started a new journal, i thought this journal was another Monstar! oh well found it eventually.

The new routine sounds pretty good, although your westside seemed to be having a tremendous impact on the strength and size. I suppose change never hurts anyone and it change is the new static:) Too many people get stuck in the same routine for too long and stagnate because it becomes too much like a ROUTINE. Change refreshes you in every manner and you begin to really relish the thought of going to the gym, thats my take on it anyway.

Whats this with Brittney? you are now talking, but she got you arressted? im major confused.

Nice misc workout :D

"Basically trying to do some extra forearm work to keep my lower arms in proportion to my upper arms. When I wear a tank-top it really looks like my upper arms are too big for my forearms. But somehow, when I wear a short-sleeved shirt my forearms look very large---to me at least. LOL, anyway, good sets here today."

lol if only this was the case for me.

MonStar
04-05-2003, 07:02 AM
Skillz: Hey thanks for chiming in man. Yeah WG upright rows really beat on my friggin' delts. Gotta love that exercise. No other exercise I have ever done completely hits ONLY my side-delts like that. Its an upright row and I hardly feel it in my traps. Really good compound movement if you ask me. Yeah, lol, I try and keep my journal pretty neat and organized. Doesnt take me any time because all I do is cut and paste from day-to-day. But I really try and keep it easy for my readers to view. So they dont struggle to see what exercise I was doing, etc.

Ron: Hey thanks a lot for the post---appreciate it. I am really trying to keep my personal life (Brittany) out of this journal. So I am not going to say much about her, sorry. Yeah I think that this new routine will work well for my goals and all that. This... Wednesday I guess it will be, I am going to test my deadlift 1RM. I am thinking about shooting for 565. Thats going to be friggin' awesome if I smoke it. Going to wear wrestling shoes of course, etc. Well see what happens. Tomorrow I am really looking forward to testing my 5RM on bentover rows. That should be interesting. Going to do them Narc style, not mason style, lol. I prefer a Yates row, more upright, pulling right to my waistline.

Franco
04-05-2003, 07:19 AM
With regards to the OCD do you have any rituals?

Skillz
04-05-2003, 10:41 AM
upright rows, i'm loving em too...keep tearin em up!

maybe when i get a chance i'll start postin my journal similar to yours, keep it nice and neat and organized....probably gonna be like that this summer, when i dont have school and all that type in the way..i'll give u credit it too :D lol...just so it wont look like i'm biting your style lol, because its more like i'm endorsing the "MonStar Method"

keep it up though man, looks nice

Skillz

MonStar
04-05-2003, 05:37 PM
FAngel: Do I have any rituals, nope. I am not sure what form of OCD I have, but I do think that I have it. At least in a few ways actually. I dont know, once I start seeing my psychologist I will try and figure out what the hell is up with my personality, haha. I know that I cant figure it out on my own.

Skillz: Yeah, I will keep up the heavy upright rows. Thats for sure. Tomorrow is my back day---REALLY looking forward to that. Going to test my 3RM for bentover rows, and also my 5 or 8RM for barbell curls. Not sure yet. Going to be listing some more stats in my profile again, the way I used to. On some other exercises besides bench/squat/deadlift, ya know? Yeah my journal layout really isnt that big of a deal, like I said, just cut and paste. Thanks for chiming in man.

MonStar
04-05-2003, 05:40 PM

Diet/Supplements

Meal 1: 2 buttermilk waffles, skim milk, multi-vitamin/mineral, 25 mg. ephedrine hcl, 2 Zantrex-3
Meal 2: 1 balance gold bar
Meal 3: macaroni & cheese, organic soda
Meal 4: 1 bag choclate easter eggs
Meal 5: 2 sloppy joe sandwiches, iced tea
Meal 6: 1 krispy cream eclair
Meal 7: filet mignon steak, fruit popsicle, skim milk

Estimated Calories: ~5000 :eek::eek:

Training---Rest

Miscellaneous

Pain/Soreness: Aching today, lol. What else is new? Serratus muscles (btwn. chest and lats) are killing me. Delts are stiff, calves are also sore. Damn.

General Comments

Feel pretty damn good today. Not really too much to say I dont think. Trying to get in a good amount of calories and hit an awesome PB tomorrow on bentover rows.

Skillz
04-05-2003, 05:46 PM

Skillz: Yeah, I will keep up the heavy upright rows. Thats for sure. Tomorrow is my back day---REALLY looking forward to that. Going to test my 3RM for bentover rows, and also my 5 or 8RM for barbell curls. Not sure yet. Going to be listing some more stats in my profile again, the way I used to. On some other exercises besides bench/squat/deadlift, ya know? Yeah my journal layout really isnt that big of a deal, like I said, just cut and paste. Thanks for chiming in man.

that sounds tight, hope to see how much u hit on all that....your bench/DL/squat already look tight...imagine puttin up a mean ol row and curl...even the curl jockeys will be impressed :D lol
Skillz

MonStar
04-05-2003, 05:53 PM
Skillz: Yeah I really hope for a lot. I am going to be doing bentover rows as my first exercise, so I dont see why it would be a problem to be honest. I think Ill do really well with them. I have to look up what I have hit before. I know I hit 315 for a few reps. But I want to see if I can do a bit more. Well see what happens obviously. Thanks for the post man---and I really like putting my personal bests in my signature simply because its always nice to change them when I blast through a strength plateau.

Skillz
04-06-2003, 12:02 AM
just checked out the sig, looks tight man! 295 x 3 for rows , thats real good...same with the barbell curls, lookin good, along with the upright rows....whats lying cambered bar extension? thats just lying tricep extension wit the curl bar right?

looks tight though
Skillz

Silverback
04-06-2003, 03:46 AM
Originally posted by Skillz
just checked out the sig, looks tight man! 295 x 3 for rows , thats real good...same with the barbell curls, lookin good, along with the upright rows....whats lying cambered bar extension? thats just lying tricep extension wit the curl bar right?

looks tight though
Skillz

yup thats it, its a tricep extension with a cambered bar to reduce wrist stress. It was Mike in fact who introduced them to me about 1.5 months ago, they are simply outstanding for the triceps, but my shoulders dont seem to like them too much :(

good luck with the bent over rows today fella, i smell a new pb on the horizon, keep it tight :)

B-R

MonStar
04-06-2003, 09:25 AM
Skills: Thanks for chiming in man. Yeah like Ron explained, lying cambered-bar ext. are simply skullcrushers with the EZ-curl bar. And like he said as well, lol, they take a lot of the strain off your wrists. My bentover row PB is from months and months ago, so I really hope to set a HELL of a new PB this afternoon with that exercise. Hoping for 315 x 3 or 315 x 5, one or the other. Damn 5 reps would be nice. Anyway, yeah a while back someone suggested keeping your stats in your signature. I liked the idea, and have done it ever since.

Ron: Thanks for answering those questions man, lol, you knew exactly what I was going to say. Anyway, I am not sure why cambered-bar ext. would give you any wrist trouble, strange. Maybe you should invest in some glucosamine/MSM/chondroitin. GREAT stuff there---I used to take it a while ago and damn I never had an aching joint ever while on that stuff. Thanks again for the support, and I want to hit 3 plates today on bent rows for some reps.

Silverback
04-06-2003, 09:55 AM
lol, good on ya bro go for dem 3 plates fella :thumbup:

No it didnt give me wrist trouble, i said shoulder trouble :) , im using glucosamine but never heard of chondroitin, im gonna have a look and invest in some. Cheers for the advice dude.

Skillz
04-06-2003, 11:10 AM
Skills: Thanks for chiming in man. Yeah like Ron explained, lying cambered-bar ext. are simply skullcrushers with the EZ-curl bar. And like he said as well, lol, they take a lot of the strain off your wrists. My bentover row PB is from months and months ago, so I really hope to set a HELL of a new PB this afternoon with that exercise. Hoping for 315 x 3 or 315 x 5, one or the other. Damn 5 reps would be nice. Anyway, yeah a while back someone suggested keeping your stats in your signature. I liked the idea, and have done it ever since.

ok was just making sure...because i do curl bar lying tricep extensions as well...neways good luck once again on the rows!

Skillz

MonStar
04-06-2003, 12:40 PM
Ron: Yeah Ron youll see my entry, I f*cked up 3 plates, no grip strength on a barbell with a double-overhand shoulder-width grip. But somehow, this doesnt make much sense, on a cambered-bar---with a double-overhand shoulder-width grip, my grip strength is very strong. Who knows. By the way, look for a good joint supplement that has 1500 mg. glucosamine, 1500 mg. chondroitin. And then I would also recommend a good 3-5g MSM. Good luck with that shoulder, lol, sorry, dont know why I was thinking wrist.

Skillz: Thanks the support man, appreciate it.

MonStar
04-06-2003, 12:58 PM

Diet/Supplements

Meal 1: 1/2 peanut butter sandwich, 2% milk, fruit popsicle, multi-vitamin/mineral
Preworkout: 25 mg. ephedrine hcl, 2 Zantrex-3
Postworkout: 1 serving whey protein, 1 serving Cell-Tech, 200 mg. r-ALA
Meal 5: fruit popsicle, pudding
Meal 6: 2 hot dogs
Meal 7: grilled chicken soft taco, wild rice, fruit popsicle
Meal 8: sloppy joe, 2% milk

Training---Back, Biceps

Bentover Barbell Rows:

135 x 8, 185 x 6, 225 x 4, 275 x 2, 315 x 2?

JEEZ, what a friggin' joke today. Okay---started off with bentover BARBELL rows. Double-overhand grip, form VERY similar to Narc's. Yates style, pretty upright, pulling to my waistline. Anyway, worked up to 3 plates on each side. I didnt even think about it---a double-overhand ~shoulder-width grip is pretty much my WEAKEST grip. 275 didnt feel THAT bad, but 315---joke. I couldnt even hold onto the bar. Hands were chalked up as f*ck, but I still, just had nothing. Mixed grip I can hold a SH*TLOAD of weight, but double-overhand, forget it.

Bentover Cambered-bar Rows:

325 x 4.5!, 335 x 3!, 265 x 8

Went over to the 35 lbs. cambered-bar that I do my skulls with, loaded it up, and my grip was EXTREMELY strong here. I used a double-overhand shoulder-width grip again, pulling the bar straight to my waistline---yet, my grip was outstanding. Not going back to BB rows, ever. I REFUSE to use friggin' p*ssy wraps. I believe that if youre not strong enough to hold onto the weight, youre doing too much. Anyway, started off with 325. Smoked 3 reps, so I figured I would hit my 5RM today. F*CK! Missed my 5RM. I knew that I had to get either a 5RM or a 3RM so I upped it 10 lbs. and hit my 3RM. Little body English, not too much. Dropped down to 265 for 8. I actually get better lat contractions with a cambered-bar, somehow.

Behind-neck Pullups:

BW x 6, BW x 5, BW x 4.5

Some good sets here today of BTN chins I think. Really tears up the area right under my armpits. Talk about a great exercise. Used my bodyweight (222 lbs. today) for 3 sets. Hit 6 reps with my first set, 5 with the second, and 4.5 with the 3rd. All 3 sets completely fried my lats. Good overall sets today.

Supported Rows:

5 Plates x 4, 4 Plates x 8

Some good sets of supported rows today---I decided to use a hammer-grip, or parallel-grip, whatever. Used 5 plates for 4, and then 4 plates for 8. Lats were TANKED. Damn, lats were completely destroyed today.

Standing Barbell Curls:

155 x 3!, 115 x 7

Wow, impressed myself today with my BB curl strength. Started off with 155 lbs. for a TRIPLE! I didnt expect to hit this at all. Somehow 155 flew up like nothing on the first rep. Second was a bit tougher, and obviously the 3rd rep was hard as f*ck. Nice slow negative after the 3rd rep. Obviously body English was pretty bad, lol, oh well. Dropped down to 115 for 7. Good sets today. Biceps were looking good, hehe.

80 x 5/5!, 70 x 7/7

Some damn good sets of hammers today!! I love this exercise. Crossbody hammers to me are so much better than regular ol' hammer curls. You can go so much heavier. Anyway, nice sets today. Arms were toast.

Miscellaneous

Training Length: 45 minutes
Sleep: 2 + 6 hours
Pain/Soreness: Eh, not too bad today actually. I mean nothing EXTREME so thats always nice. Some mild stiffness here and there, not too bad though.

General Comments

Okay. Two guys in the gym today came up to me who I havnt seen for a good 6 months I would say. Something along those lines. They were going on and on about how I had gotten a LOT bigger. Than said it was like a transformation. I took this as a compliment, but then I was thinking F*CK---the last 4 months were on Westside. And I was thinking for a little while, what if I went back to Westside? But I CANT because I want to have fun, lol. So now I am battling back and forth with fun vs. results. And I just dont know at this point. I really prefer a bodybuilding style split, but if the results are better with Westside... I just dont know. I am going to think about it for a good while, and decide from there what the hell I am going to do. I cant see myself going back to Westside for some reason. Mainly because I am NOT a f*ckin' powerlifter, damnit. Jeez, so frustrating.

Skillz
04-06-2003, 01:07 PM
not bad man! sux u couldnt get it up with the barbell rows like u wanted, but still, 335 with cambered is pretty tight in itself! thats alot of weight! keep up the good work

Skillz

Silverback
04-06-2003, 01:18 PM
What a predicament!! Its up to you, but i think you should stick with the routine you are with now, why? Becuase think about it you are now 19 years old your hormones are now raging like a wild fire and your getting plenty of calories, so if you stick to a decent routine whatever its nature you will grow.

Give the BB routine a chance man, i know comments like that can sway you but you enjoy what your doing now and thats what matters.

Ive got a few questions to ask. What do the cross-body hammers look like? could you describe?

What type of barbell curls do you do? do you use an olympic bar, btw it was a sensational 155 fella :thumbup

As for the BBR's dont worry mike they will come, its funny you said about the cambered bar because i felt awsome contractions using that bar, i felt even better ones using a neutral grip tricep bar.

l8r m8, hows the back feeling? i bet its inflated like a goodyear blimp :)

NateDogg
04-06-2003, 01:25 PM
What the hell happened here? Oh well, Mike, you get amazing results no matter what you do so more power to you!

Xg74
04-06-2003, 02:29 PM
Was anyone staring at you as you curled the 80lbs DB's? ;)

I would be, thats awesome strength!

Saturday Fever
04-06-2003, 03:30 PM
It's funny that a routine can be classified as a "bodybuilding" split or a "powerlifting" split. This really creates a problem for a few things. How would you classify HST? Minetzer's HIT? The guys in the pro bodybuilding world that use upper/lower splits? You don't have to be a "powerlifter" to do Westside, you just have to be striving for the goals that Westside is geared to achieve. Size and strength.

MonStar
04-06-2003, 04:40 PM
Skillz: Yeah it does suck that I didnt get to do the barbell rows that I wanted to. Oh well, the cambered-bar rows I did were the same exact exercise---just with a different bar. I like both, but since I have no grip probems with a regular barbell I am going to stick with a cambered-bar for the future. Thanks for chiming in man, appreciate it.

Ron: Thanks for the post man, appreciate it. Yeah I am going to stick with a bodybuilding split, only because its so much more fun than a powerlifting split. Oh well, its all good. The curls with 155 were friggin' INTENSE. I was extremely pleased with my strength there, kinda came out of no where. Ill see how things go with this program. I cant see myself going back to Westside no matter how good the results were. The program was not fun enough for me. I didnt look forward to my workouts as much as I do now, etc. OH---the crossbody hammers are kind of confusing. Basically theyre JUST like regular hammer curls, except you bring the DB to your opposite shoulder, in front of your body. Rather than normal hammer curls where you bring the DB to your same side shoulder, at your side. Lemme know if youre still confused. And yes, I use an Olympic bar for my BB curls.

NateDogg: Hey man, nice to see you posting here in my journal. Yeah I kind of have to agree with you a little there. I dont think that my results on Westside were anything insane. I mean they were pretty good, but not any better than my results have been on any other program. Maybe a BIT more in strength, but other than that, I dont see what my results with this bodybuilding split should be anything but great.

Xg74: Yeah, I guess. I dont know I always tend to get some people who continually watch my entire workout, lol. Whatever, its usually skinny guys, so theyre just trying to learn. I would do the same thing. I try to focus on my workout and not get distracted by the people watching me.

Saturday Fever: Yeah, but that is really the smallest factor in why I am not doing Westside. It all comes down to how much you enjoy the program, etc. Too much lower back and ham work for me. Just not too fun for me. Results were good, dont get me wrong, but I was never really looking forward to my workouts unless I was testing a max or something. HST would be a bodybuilding program I think, without a doubt. Mike Mentzer's too would be bodybuilding.

MonStar
04-07-2003, 07:27 AM

Diet/Supplements

Now that ephedrine is pretty much completely going off the market I have decided to reduce my intake. I am going to be taking 25 mg. on training days ONLY. On rest days, I will be taking an ephedrine-free supplement, such as Zantrex-3 or Xenadrine EFX.

Meal 1: cranberry almond cereal + 2% milk, multi-vitamin/mineral, 2 Zantrex-3
Meal 2: 1 Taco Bell supreme beef gordita
Meal 3: soy protein bar
Meal 4: macaroni & cheese, energy water
Meal 5: frosted animal crackers
Meal 6: 2 Burger King 5-piece chicken tenders

Estimated Calories: ~3300

Training---Rest

Miscellaneous

Sleep: 8 hours
Pain/Soreness: Sore today! Lats are stiff. Mid-traps are stiff, too. Biceps and brachioradialis are both pretty damn sore.

General Comments

Feel good today I think. Lately my contacts have been bothering me, oh well. Today I have class from 10-12:30 and then I have work from 2-6. Nothing too bad today I dont think. I have some sh*t coming in the mail, so that should be cool. Well see what happens. I am going to be testing my 8RM tomorrow on bench, which should be right around 265 I think, something like that. I hit 275 for 6 last week, so this really should not be too bad at all. Then I am going to test my 5RM I think for skullcrushers, which should be somewhere around 140ish? I dont know, well see how things go tomorrow.

Strange putting my entire back routine around bentover rows. I have never done that before, I like the idea. I know that a few people here at WBB focus on bentover rows exclusively. BCC is one of them, and a few others if I am not mistaken. Curious to see how my lats respond the next few months. Saturday Fever also focuses his back work on bentover and supported rows, pretty much exclusively I think.

I PMed Saturday Fever about me training my lats with only ROWS, and no chins, and he replied with an excellent response. I figured I would quote it.

No. I don't do anything of the sort (chins), and I think recently my back is on par with some of the larger/stronger guys on the site.

Hypertrophy is a lot simpler than most people are willing to admit. You gain weight and you do so in a manner that makes the gains muscular. How? You simply lift trade between time and tension. When I do rows, I do a set or two of higher reps, lower weight mixed with sets of higher weight, lower reps. It's really a simple concept. But you have to be willing to accept weight gains if you're going to stay natural. I'm not fat by any means, but I'm a lot less "cut" than I was at 190.

Alke
04-07-2003, 09:49 AM
Hey monstar! workouts look ace as usual!

I would stay with your new workouts and see what kinda results you can get with your new strength levels from westside. IMO you might get some very good results that might shock you, and you can always switch back to west side later.

If you had switched from west side say....., any earlier, I would have said to stay with west side, but you stuck with it for 4 months or so which is why you got such great results! The choice is always your own to make, but I think a switch in routines at this point in time would be good for you.

And you said something yourself that would make the deciding easier IMO which was: "because I want to have fun". That says it all right there bro'! Have some fun with your new routines for a while!

Workhorse
04-07-2003, 10:43 AM
Mon, weights are lookin' stellar!! Keep up the awesome work boy!! Way to go!! :thumbup:

Neil
04-07-2003, 01:11 PM

Standing Barbell Curls:

155 x 3!, 115 x 7

list]

Wow, that 155x3 is VERY impressive. Especially since you did them right after training back. You could probably put 10-15 more lbs on your curl strength easily if you did them fresh. Awesome work man.

eclips1
04-07-2003, 01:13 PM
Mike, I was just reading over you new journal. Man, you've made some serious gains over the last few months! Congrats. Keep it up. You are officially a "Monstar"!!!

Alke
04-07-2003, 03:49 PM
Oh I forgot to ask!

What is/ how do you do a Supported Row?

Silverback
04-07-2003, 04:07 PM
kewell,

Thats how i imagined the hammers to be, but do you sit or stand, or is it just down to personal preference, i think i may alternate them 1week on/1 off with concentration curls for a bit of variety.

What kinda sh1t are you getting through the post?

take care,

B-R

MonStar
04-07-2003, 08:04 PM
Kenn: Thanks for chiming in man, really appreciate it a ton. Yeah I really think that Ill get some damn good results with my new routine. I dont see why I wouldnt. And youre exactly right, it should be all about having friggin' fun. Thats what really matters to me, etc. I am going to test my 8RM on bench tomorrow, hopefully 275, I hope that I get all 8 reps. Well see what happens. Then I am going to be testing my 5RM for skullcrushers. Really looking forward to tomorrow's workout. Thanks again for posting man, glad to see you around here in my journal again. By the way man, I am going to attach a pic of the supported row that I use.

Workhorse: Thanks a lot man, really appreciate the kind words. Hopefully tomorrow's bench session will be stellar. Ill be EXTREMELY pleased if I hit 275 for 8 reps.

Neil: Thanks a lot---appreciate the support. I was really really pleased with my BB curl strength. I really was not sure if I was going to hit 3 with 155 or not. Little body English but hey, its still 155 for a triple. How many guys could do that even with body English? Thats how I think of it. Anyway, next time I curl Ill probably do something like test my 5RM, which I am thinking is somewhere around 145ish?

eclips: Thanks for chiming in man, appreciate it. I think that I did gain some decent strength the past few months. And not all of it was COMPLETELY Westside. I was thinking about a few things. I was packing in a lotta calories most of the time, I rarely get less than 7 hours sleep, my stress levels have been low, etc. Its not completely Westside that I attribute my gains to. I think Ill get just as good of results on a bodybuilding split.

Ron: Theyre standing crossbody hammers man, great exercise by the way. I personally recommend them WAY more than concentration curls, but thats just me. Some stuff for my car came in the mail today, no big deal.

Alke
04-07-2003, 08:33 PM
Hey Monstar!

Cool, glad to see your going to stick with repping things out for a while! I think it is WAY more fun to see how much one can hit for reps vice 1RM. I mean, its cool to have numbers to throw around when someone asks how much can you bench, but Sh!T, I get asked that all the time now and when I say I just rep out they dont understand how you can have size but cant bench high numbers.

I wont be testing my 1RM for at least another couple months or so.....right now I having fun keeping the intensity as high as possible:D

About that supported row, DAMN! I'm jealous, that looks like just the thing on a heavy day to hit Lats hard as sh!t without worryout about your back! I want one at my gym.........NOW!

Awesome curls BTW:D and I hope you get that 275 for 8 reps man! Im sure thats gonna give you SUCH......A........PUMP.......!!!!!!!!! (you better where a bigger shirt, or it might rip on that last rep LOL)

Silverback
04-08-2003, 12:52 AM
lol, just some parts or are you moding up? :D