View Full Version : Losin' those love handles

aidano
03-26-2003, 08:41 PM
This is my projected nutrional intake today (5'10" 170lbs):

Cals: 1658
Fat: 29 g
Carbs: 141 g
Protein 211 g

I think the total Cals are possibly a bit low.

What does anyone else think?

Ironman8
03-26-2003, 10:51 PM
What's your workout routine?

aidano
03-26-2003, 11:34 PM
3 times a week

back/bis
chest/tris
legs/ some shoulders

I'm trying to lay off cardio right now apart from a 1 hour bike ride once a week.

cut_in_diamond
03-27-2003, 12:04 AM
You should have been doing cardio before you even started training, getting your heart in good shape is one of the key factors in losing weight, gaining muscle strength, and being overall healthy. Especially if you're looking to lose those love handles.

aidano
03-27-2003, 12:19 AM
I have been doing cardio frequently in the past, just not now. My heart's in fine shape :)

bradley
03-27-2003, 02:58 AM
Originally posted by aidano
This is my projected nutrional intake today (5'10" 170lbs):

Cals: 1658
Fat: 29 g
Carbs: 141 g
Protein 211 g

I think the total Cals are possibly a bit low.

What does anyone else think?

I agree in that your cals look a bit low, and I also would bump the fat intake up. Right now fat is only making up about 16% of your daily cals. I would recommend somewhere around 25-30% of daily cals from fat (most of this total from healthy sources).

I think it is better to start off with cals at a higher level and then gradually decrease calories each week. You can continue doing this until you are losing about a pound a week.

Ironman8
03-27-2003, 07:23 AM
If you want to loose those love handles, you have to do cardio atleast 2x a week.

Relentless
03-27-2003, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by Ironman8
If you want to loose those love handles, you have to do cardio atleast 2x a week.

???

Um.

No.

You can lose fat without doing cardio. Losing fat is mostly diet-control.

Listen to bradley, aidano... he knows his stuff.

aidano
03-27-2003, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by bradley

I agree in that your cals look a bit low, and I also would bump the fat intake up. Right now fat is only making up about 16% of your daily cals. I would recommend somewhere around 25-30% of daily cals from fat (most of this total from healthy sources).

I think it is better to start off with cals at a higher level and then gradually decrease calories each week. You can continue doing this until you are losing about a pound a week.

So what kind of foods would I need to increase consumption of to increase fat (and not carbs)? I could eat a couple tbsp's extra peanut butter every day, but what else?

bradley
03-27-2003, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by aidano

So what kind of foods would I need to increase consumption of to increase fat (and not carbs)? I could eat a couple tbsp's extra peanut butter every day, but what else?

Healthy fat sources would include things like nuts, natural peanut butter, olive oil, flax oil, and fish oil. If you are going to supplement with an oil of some sort I would recommed fish oil because of the high content of omega 3 fatty acids.

Ironman8
03-27-2003, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by Callahan

???

Um.

No.

You can lose fat without doing cardio. Losing fat is mostly diet-control.

Listen to bradley, aidano... he knows his stuff.

I know. But you'll get faster results with cardio.

aidano
03-27-2003, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by bradley

Healthy fat sources would include things like nuts, natural peanut butter, olive oil, flax oil, and fish oil. If you are going to supplement with an oil of some sort I would recommed fish oil because of the high content of omega 3 fatty acids.

oh yeah, I forgot about oils. Thanks!

Asian Dynamo
03-27-2003, 07:26 PM
I'm near enough in the same boat. I'm 5"8' 161 lbs with a 23% bf.
I train four times a week and do cardio three times a week for 20 mins at 90% of mhr.
I was wondering whether I should start at 1700 or 2000 calories per day?

EdgeCrusher
03-27-2003, 08:04 PM
Increase calories by 100-200 and do cardio. It's important for weight loss.

Shao-LiN
03-27-2003, 09:32 PM

I know. But you'll get faster results with cardio.

Not necessarily. You're working off assumptions here. Diet is the deciding factor in cutting. You can lose just as fast by lowering calories as you would by eating at maintenance and performing cardio.

Honestly, the first thing I do when cutting is just diet and training. If/when I plateu, then I throw in the cardio.

HIIT is another story though. Been hearing good things about it. But cardio is not "important" for weight loss. You can lose fat fine without it. It is just one method to consider for it.

In any event, per your calories, I'd say 1600-1700 is a bit low. I'd consider raising it.

bradley
03-28-2003, 02:39 AM
Originally posted by Asian Dynamo
I'm near enough in the same boat. I'm 5"8' 161 lbs with a 23% bf.
I train four times a week and do cardio three times a week for 20 mins at 90% of mhr.
I was wondering whether I should start at 1700 or 2000 calories per day?

What are your cals at now? Slowly decrease your cals over the next few weeks until you are losing about a pound a week. There is no set number of calories that you should be taking in. Each person will respond differently to different calorie levels. It is a trial and error process.

Asian Dynamo
03-28-2003, 04:05 PM
Ok i'm on 2000 cals a day but I'm hardly getting any cals from fat so going to have to do some percentage changes. Since this is my first week cutting i'll see how it goes and whether I need to drop any cals.

Thanks for the imput just got abit worried that 1700 would be too low and start losing muscle.

Another question though I've read a couple of times that you need fat to lose fat, could anyone explain?

bradley
03-28-2003, 04:53 PM
Another question though I've read a couple of times that you need fat to lose fat, could anyone explain?

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26828&highlight=dietary+fat

This has some good links and info about fat. Might want to check it out.

Asian Dynamo
03-29-2003, 04:40 AM
cheers Bradley

Ironman8
03-29-2003, 08:32 AM
Yes, it's a very good topic.

runt
03-30-2003, 07:39 AM
Great thread! I'm cutting myself and want to lose my own love handles as well as about 3 - 4% points of bf. I would love to fit in 31" trousers agan by June. I just started the cut 2 weeks ago by cutting out all simple carbs, mostly breads and pastas and lowering my total daily cal intake from 3200 to around 2800. I'm 5'7" by the way and 160 lbs at 15% bf. At the moment I doing 25 min of cardio once a week and will take that to two in a couple of weeks. I might look into HIIT if I don't see significant results by May 1.

Ironman8
03-30-2003, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by runt
I just started the cut 2 weeks ago by cutting out all simple carbs, mostly breads and pastas

Simple carbs are sugars. Breads and pastas are complex carbs. If you plan on doing cardio to loose weight, I suggest you don't cut complex carbs from your diet.

bradley
03-30-2003, 11:14 AM

Simple carbs are sugars. Breads and pastas are complex carbs. If you plan on doing cardio to loose weight, I suggest you don't cut complex carbs from your diet.

Breads and pastas are complex carbs but that doesn't always make them the right choice. For example white bread and white rice are complex carbs but they are converted to simple sugars rapidly by the body.

On the other hand lactose is a simple sugar but is not digested quickly by the body.

I would go with low GI carbs throughout the day and save the high GI carbs for postworkout. Being in a caloric deficit at the end of the day will determine if you lose weight regardless of whether your carbs are from simple or complex sources.

Ritzol
03-30-2003, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by runt
At the moment I doing 25 min of cardio once a week and will take that to two in a couple of weeks.

Once or twice a week isn't enough.... try three or four.

LAM
03-30-2003, 07:30 PM
those cals are to low

Asian Dynamo
03-31-2003, 11:03 AM
who's cals are too low?

If you spent sleeping for example 1 am does that mean you still need the same amount of calories for the day as if you woke at 8?
Just thinking you would need less cals becuase your body slows down while sleeping.

Scythian_Blade
03-31-2003, 12:50 PM
I have found through trial and error that for me, maintaining a high caloric turnover rate from one day to the next is one of the more important factors to consider when trying to lose fat. That is one reason I am not a huge fan of significant calorie restriction for any prolonged time frame. Sometimes my metabolism can adjust very quickly to calorie restriction and a high activity level (read some type of cardio) in general helps me prevent this.

The reason I mention this is because I often see theads where people want to start out with 2000 kcal/day or less and allow diet to do most of the work. If you know how to really dial it in, this may work fine. But sometimes it takes a few cutting cycles just to figure out what type of diet works best. It is also a lot easier to experiment with greater caloric deficits and modest increases over the short term if you have a higher baseline to begin with.

-Blade

bradley
03-31-2003, 01:57 PM
who's cals are too low?

I believe he was referring to the person who originally started the thread.

I am sure that your body's caloric needs would be decreased due to the decrease in activity but I would still try eat pretty much the same amount of calories as you do on other days of the week.

When cutting create a small caloric deficit either through diet or cardio or a combination of both. When you get to a lower bf% you might consider periodical refeeds which will help kickstart your metabolism.

aidano
03-31-2003, 02:07 PM
By higher baseline do you mean more lean body mass?

Scythian_Blade
03-31-2003, 03:11 PM
I may have misworded the baseline bit a little. My whole point is just that raising your maintenance calorie level by including a higher level of activity can lead to more options when cutting in terms of caloric variance from one day to the next. Using a cyclical caloric diet for cutting purposes is an example of when this might be effective.

Having more lean body mass will raise your maintenance level too =D.

aidano
03-31-2003, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Scythian_Blade
I may have misworded the baseline bit a little. My whole point is just that raising your maintenance calorie level by including a higher level of activity can lead to more options when cutting in terms of caloric variance from one day to the next. Using a cyclical caloric diet for cutting purposes is an example of when this might be effective.

Having more lean body mass will raise your maintenance level too =D.

Right..I think that may have also answered the other question I just posted.