PDA

View Full Version : Is oatmeal Brain Food?

Big Show
03-26-2003, 08:51 PM
I was just wondering this.

Because compared to when I have cereal/waffles,eggs and milk,when I have Oatmeal(w/some boiling water to soften it up & yogurt for taste) eggs & milk I feel mentally more alert

Berserker
03-26-2003, 10:30 PM
Better keep eating.

Ironman8
03-26-2003, 10:47 PM
Maybe you're more filled up :confused:

bradley
03-27-2003, 02:49 AM
Originally posted by Big Show
I was just wondering this.

Because compared to when I have cereal/waffles,eggs and milk,when I have Oatmeal(w/some boiling water to soften it up & yogurt for taste) eggs & milk I feel mentally more alert

Oatmeal provides a more sustained supply of energy because it is digested slowly by the body. The cereal/waffles could cause more of an insulin repsonse in your body which could lead to a lethargic feeling after your blood sugar level falls.

raniali
03-27-2003, 10:53 AM
i forgot why it is - but bananas are brain food and are really good to eat when studying.

MrWebb78
03-27-2003, 11:10 AM
the fat in the eggs could help be more attentive and alert as well, so might not just be the oatmeal

aka23
03-27-2003, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Big Show

The only difference in the two breakfasts seems to be subsituting oatmeal for cereal/waffles. I will assume that this means cereals on some days and waffles on others, not cereal and waffles in the same meal.

Cold cereals almost always have added sugar. In some cereals more than 50% of the calories come from sugar. The lethargy following a cereal sugar rush might explain the increased mental alertness with oatmeal. Oatmeal is lower GI than most cereals and is likely to cause a milder blood sugar reaction than cereal. What type of cereal do you eat?

Waffles are more difficult to explain. Most brands do not have much added sugar, but they do usually have a significantly higher GI than oatmeal and are less likely to produce a blood sugar reaction than oatmeal. In addition, you might be adding syrup or sweeteners to the waffles. If you are consuming large waffles, then you might be getting a lot of calories. Two 8" diameter waffles usually have about 650 calories, while the oatmeal probably has less. The extra calories might also result in a lethargic reaction following the meal with less mental alertness.

The are also several other possibilities as well, such as a mild wheat allergy. Wheat is one of the seven most common food alergies. Far fewer people are alergic to oats than wheat. It would help to know the quantities and exact type of foods in each meal. For example, What brand and type were the waffles? Did you added syrup or sugar? Do you eat the same amount of eggs and milk with each meal? etc.

If substituting oatmeal makes you feel more mentally alert, then it is probably a good idea to continue doing this. You might also want to experiment with other lower GI foods, or a smaller breakfast and a snack later in the morning, when you feel less mentally alert.

Ironman8
03-27-2003, 03:50 PM
Also, the fiber in the oatmeal will take longer to digest. This keeps you full.