PDA

View Full Version : How many grams of protein a day?

TxAggie
03-26-2003, 10:18 PM
Right now I am on whey protein shakes. Each scoop of the whey contains 17.5 grams of protein and I put in 2 scoops. So each shake has 35 grams and I drink 3 on workout days fgor a total of 105 grams. Is this too much/little/or just right? How many grams do you guys use on workout and non-workout days?

AJ_11
03-26-2003, 10:22 PM
Usually 1-1.5 grams per pound. workout days and non.

TxAggie
03-26-2003, 10:30 PM
Man I need to add 2 more scoops looks like. I am around 140 pounds now so 2 more scoops would put me at exactly 140 grams per day. Even on an off day that seems like a lot but I guess if it makes me bigger than I am all for it. Anyone else have any thoughts on the subject?

PeterParker
03-27-2003, 01:28 AM
try and get your portien from whole foods, if you look for the grocery thread from a month ago, that has a good shopping list on it. i think its in diet or general chat

bradley
03-27-2003, 03:30 AM
I would go with one shake postworkout and then try and get the rest from whole foods as PeterParker suggested.

1g of protein per pound of bw should be plenty for both workout and off days.

Ironman8
03-27-2003, 07:27 AM
Grocery list (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26368&highlight=grocery+list)

PeterParker
03-27-2003, 08:39 AM
look for ThreeD reply in grocery list and good luck.

Berserker
03-27-2003, 01:11 PM
I go for 1 gram a day. I have a shake after my work out about 30gs whey and 10 fro milk. Some people say not mix with milk cause slows down abosrbation. Sometimes I have a shake on off days, when I need something quick. usually 22g of whey and milk.
Personally I would try to eat more whole foods. You say your getting aboput 100gs from whey, what else are you eating? all carbs? otherwise your probably getting some from your food too. I hope.

TxAggie
03-27-2003, 07:47 PM
Wll here is the deal w/my diet. I am a broke college student so buying steaks, etc are out of the question. In the mornings I workout this is usually what I eat.

Before Workout:
Either quaker oats oatmeal (flavored kind) or just Yogurt
1 whey shake made with milk

Lunch:
right after workout a whey shake
2 turkey sandwhiches...white bread, low fat turkey, 2 slices of cheese on each sandwhich and mustard.
OR Hot Pocket (Pizza)

Dinner:
Either fish sticks, hotdogs (3), or like a tv dinner. Every now and then I will grab some fast food (once a week). Maybe even a tv dinner.
Before bed:
whey shake

That basically is what I eat most of the time. I just bought some tuna fish and I snack on wheat thins and granola bars too. So I do get some whole food protein but nowhere near 140 grams of it so that is why I load up on whey.

Ironman8
03-27-2003, 08:07 PM
Oh man, you have alot of flaws in that diet. First, you need healthier fats in your diet. Fish oil, flax, etc. Second, eat less junk food. Instead of white bread, use wheat bread. Get rid of the hot pockets, fishsticks, hotdogs, T.V dinners, etc. If you do grab the fast food, get chicken sandwiches or something.

Here is a list of what a bodybuilders usually buy. I know you said you don't have money to buy alot of things, but you have to shop for food sooner or later. So when you do, buy more complete protein sources (meat, beans, etc.). Oh yeah, here is that topic.

Grocery list (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26368&highlight=grocery+list)

TxAggie
03-27-2003, 09:49 PM
Wheat bread
bagels
cream cheese??? can i have this
low fat or nonfat Milk
mustard
low fat mayo
egg whities "All whites"
Extra lean ground beef
Tuna (in water)
Lean steak(s) - eye of round
Boneless/Skinless chicken breast
natural peanut butter
turkey breasts
Oatmeal (old fashioned or quaker oats)
beans (pinto, black, kidney)

do i buy canned beans or does it matter...might even have to make the bean be veggies or something. How do you guys cook your steaks and chicken...I have no friggin grill. Also, do you marinate them in soy overnight or what??

bradley
03-28-2003, 02:52 AM
do i buy canned beans or does it matter...might even have to make the bean be veggies or something. How do you guys cook your steaks and chicken...I have no friggin grill. Also, do you marinate them in soy overnight or what??

The dried beans do not contain the additives that the canned beans do but the dried beans are more of a hassle to cook IMO. If you have the time you can cook up a pot of beans and keep them in the fridge and eat them throughout the week. Black beans are one of my favorite. Otherwise I would go with the canned beans.

Look into purchasing a George Foreman grill or something similar. There is nothing that says you have to marinate your meat, but you can if you like. I usually put chili powder and cayanne pepper on my chicken breasts and rosemary on my steak. I usually avoid the marinade because it makes the meat taste too salty but that boils down to personal preferance.

Here are some good choices if you are living on a fixed budget each month:

natural peanut butter
oats
milk
tuna
ww bread
eggs
sweet potatoes

There are many other choices but these are just some convenient and inexpensive foods that came to mind. Also, try and eat 5-6 meals per day and this will make it easier for you to get in your saily protein requirements. I would minimize the hot dogs and tv dinners and go for cleaner sources of food, and don't skip out on the healthy fats.

hemants
03-28-2003, 12:11 PM
Most food is at least 10% protein by calories so as long as you're eating enough calories, say even as low as 2000 on top of your shakes, that would mean you are getting at least 200 calories or 50g from the rest of your food plus 105 g from your shakes for a total of 155g per day.

That's probably enough.

TxAggie
03-28-2003, 01:41 PM
Ok just a few more questions. First, can I eat cream cheese on my bagels or is creme cheese too fattty? I am sure it doesn't matter what type of bagels I buy because I really like the blueberry kind. On the ground beef, can I buy like hamburger helper and eat that or will the hamburger helper make it bad. If so, what do you put the ground beef in, other than chilli?

bradley
03-28-2003, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by TxAggie
Ok just a few more questions. First, can I eat cream cheese on my bagels or is creme cheese too fattty? I am sure it doesn't matter what type of bagels I buy because I really like the blueberry kind. On the ground beef, can I buy like hamburger helper and eat that or will the hamburger helper make it bad. If so, what do you put the ground beef in, other than chilli?

Sure you can eat cream cheese but there better things one could eat. The reason I say this is because cream cheese is calorie dense but really doesn't offer much in terms of nutrition. If you do eat it just count it towards your daily total. You could also check into the light or fat free varieties and compare the calorie content to the regular version.

I would go with a whole wheat bagel myself due to the fact that it hasn't been stripped of most of its nutrients.

I am not for sure about the ingredients in all the different types of hamburger helper but I am sure that it will add more sodium and calories (depending on if the Hamburger Helper has pasta in it)

I would just make hamburger patties myself but that is just personal preference. You can check out the recipe forum for some ideas.

Berserker
03-28-2003, 02:05 PM
If I was low on money I wouldn't be eating just egg whites, your throwing away alot of protein and money. I eat 3-4 whole eggs a day for breakfast.
Sounds to me the big whole in your diet is taking the time to prepare your food.
The problem with stuff like hamburger helper is you got to eat alot to get enough protein. Think about it lb of burger per box. You need to eat the whole thing in 3-4 servings. Thats the proplem with mixing your meats in things. If your bulking probably ok, but not cutting.
If you want to lift weights you got to take the time and prepare your meals. Its not that hard, once you get used to eat. The way I do it is every meals revolves arounf protein, 30-40g.

Ironman8
03-28-2003, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by TxAggie
First, can I eat cream cheese on my bagels or is creme cheese too fattty?

If you're really worried about that, get the low fat alternatives.