PDA

View Full Version : My Bulking Cycle...

wibble
03-27-2003, 09:51 AM
Well, after about a month and a half of eating like crazy (at least compared to what I used to eat which was hardly anything) I have yet to gain any weight. I'm still at my starting weight which is about 140lbs. I was shooting for about a pound a week and was hoping to be almost 150lbs by now. I was taking in roughly 2500 calories a day, if not more because I modified my starting diet a little.

I'm eating pretty clean except for a little thing here and there to help up my calories a bit because I'm having trouble finding good things to eat at work for my pre lunch and post lunch meals. So usually I will get some sort of sub if I can or if not a banana and a 500ml chocolate milk. The chocolate milk alone is about 326 calories and the banana I guess is about 100 or so, so it fits into what I was looking for calories wise (about 420 per meal).

Anyhow, how can I not be gaining weight, I'm eating 18 x bodyweight in calories at least. Also, it seems like I'm actually losing bodyfat. I can see my abs more and my belly seems to actually be shrinking where my arms look bigger. My lifts also went up quite a bit considering. A month and a half ago I tried benching 135lbs just to see how many times I could do it and I barely did 3 reps. Yesterday I benched 135 for 2 sets of 8 so I'm obviously gaining muscle. I've seen similar results with my other lifts, I added 10 lbs to my skullcrushers within 2 weeks of doing a weight I was having some trouble with.

So what should I do? Keep doing what I'm doing and maybe the weight will come after awhile? Or up my calories again? It just seems weird that I'm gaining muscle and not gaining on the scale but looking more cut in the mirror.

DAMN MY METABOLISM! :swear:

Anyways, thanks for any info or opinions. :)

steveo
03-27-2003, 10:19 AM
If you are getting bigger and losing body fat why you complaning? If you know for sure that you are loosing BF and your weight remains the same then you are gaining weight your just losing fat at the same time. If you are looking for body weight you just have to a more try some carbs with protein before bed or toss in a MRP between meals or take some NLARGE. Oh yeah NO CARDIO!

Shao-LiN
03-27-2003, 01:52 PM
Or he can just eat more.

But anyway, I agree. If you are gaining muscle like you seem to claim, but are also losing fat, thank your genetics not damn them. If your seem to stall on your lifts, then up the cals more.

wibble
03-27-2003, 02:50 PM
If you are getting bigger and losing body fat why you complaning? If you know for sure that you are loosing BF and your weight remains the same then you are gaining weight your just losing fat at the same time.

Yeah I guess that could be true. I'm just kind of disappointed because I took all this time to figure out what kind of food I would be eating and when, then had my hopes up that I would be somewhat bigger by now. I mean I'm stronger and yes, there are things about my body that have changed, like my muscles are more defined and I might not look as skinny in certain places but only I notice it really.

Bottom line I guess is that I want to be bigger and stronger, not just a stronger version of my twiglike self. Like I said I was hoping to be about 150 pounds by now. :rolleyes:

If your seem to stall on your lifts, then up the cals more.

So I guess I should just keep doing what I'm doing then? I mean its not all bad, I'm glad to be lifting more weight I just want to look like I lift more weight. :)

Another thing I was wondering about also... I just can't seem to progress in my Chinups... I'm doing the widegrip ones and its hard as hell. I can get my 2 sets of 8 but damn its hard. Am I using too wide of a grip maybe? How far apart should my arms be? A little more than shoulder? Because as it is, my grip is probably a lot wider than my shoulders, I just put my hands on the handles but then I was thinking the reason the handles are so far away is so that people with long arms can use the bar too. :p I dunno.

Anyways, thanks for the replies guys :)
wibble

raniali
03-27-2003, 03:30 PM
you might even consider eating another few hundred cals a day - see how that works out. my first thought was that by eating a lot more cals than what you were previously doing has put your metabolism into over-drive for the time being. again - as has been stated - you are probably gaining muscle and burning some fat and this very lucky chance of events will likely come to halt in the future (or you are a genetic god).

as to your pull-up question -- there are a variety of ways to do them and they are all correct depending on what you are targeting. going wide will help bring your lats out but are (imo) the hardest of them all. do what u can; gains don't come overnight.

aka23
03-27-2003, 03:41 PM
It sounds like you are new to working out and have been gaining muscle. This might explain your increased calorie requirements. It takes about 3500 calories to build a lb of muscle. This muscle building combined with your increased activity, might account for as much as an extra 1000 calories per day.

The 18x bodyweight formula is very imprecise and does not work for everyone. It does not account for things like the increase in activity described above. I need to eat more than 20x my bodyweight before I start gaining weight due to my high activity level. You can getter a better estimation of your caloric requirements using the calculator at http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/CalRequire.html . Be sure to read the activity level descriptions before filling out the numbers. I think best of all would be to slowly increase calories until you are gaining at level you would like, regardless of what the formulas say.

You are building muscle and losing fat. This is a great start. You should be happy with this result, even if the weight is not increasing on the scale. You can get an estimation of your muscle growth by getting periodic body fat measures at the gym. For example if you were 13% BF and dropped down to 10% while maintaing the same weight, then you would have gained 4.2 lbs muscle (140*(.13-.10)=4.2). You should not hope to gain any more than 1lb muscle per week. If you want to gain muscle at a faster rate or you reach a point where your gains have stopped, then you may want to increase calories. Unfortunately doing this will probably slow down your fat loss.

Ironman8
03-27-2003, 03:47 PM
And if worse comes to worse, start eating those cheeseburgers and pizza :D. Just kidding. I suggest you increase you calories to 4000 or something. Eat those healthy fats. Increase protein. etc. And you're lucky if you gain muscle without fat. You won't have to cut :)

bradley
03-27-2003, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Ironman8
And if worse comes to worse, start eating those cheeseburgers and pizza :D. Just kidding. I suggest you increase you calories to 4000 or something. Eat those healthy fats. Increase protein. etc. And you're lucky if you gain muscle without fat. You won't have to cut :)

Increasing cals by that much at once would not be beneficial IMO. I agree with Raniali and aka23 in that slow controlled increases in calories are the best way to go when trying to gain weight. Increasing cals from 2500 to 4000 is quite a big jump IMO.

Might want to post your question about the chins in the training forum or run a search there. There is a lot of good info at your fingertips. Good luck with it:)

Ironman8
03-27-2003, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by bradley
Increasing cals by that much at once would not be beneficial IMO. I agree with Raniali and aka23 in that slow controlled increases in calories are the best way to go when trying to gain weight. Increasing cals from 2500 to 4000 is quite a big jump IMO.

Oh ya, forgot to mention that. Thanks for adding that in Bradley :)

wibble
03-27-2003, 05:22 PM
Woah so many more replies than when I checked earlier. Ok, I'll start with the first posts and make my way to the end. :)

you might even consider eating another few hundred cals a day - see how that works out. my first thought was that by eating a lot more cals than what you were previously doing has put your metabolism into over-drive for the time being.[quote]

Yeah I was thinking about adding in another snack somewhere along the way, probably in the night time as I'm not really on a tight schedule then and tend to be less strict on eating times. Your guess on my metabolism is probably right, it must be gone into overdrive. I was trying to get about 420 cals spread over 6 meals to get my requirements, but lately at breakfast I now take in about 720 and find myself hungry again about 2 hours later.

[quote]going wide will help bring your lats out but are (imo) the hardest of them all. do what u can; gains don't come overnight.
I'm doing Chinups for back, so I guess they're meant to be wide to target the lats. But man are they tough. I figured by now I would at least have gotten better at them. But then again, maybe I have no lats. :)

You can getter a better estimation of your caloric requirements using the calculator at http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/CalRequire.html . Be sure to read the activity level descriptions before filling out the numbers. I think best of all would be to slowly increase calories until you are gaining at level you would like, regardless of what the formulas say.[quote]

Thanks for the link aka23, seems to be more useful than the 18 * formula. ;) It said my calorie level should be about 3100. Thats crazy. I guess I am on my feet all day at work though walking around constantly and sometimes lifting things. I'll keep this in mind, afterall 3100 isn't too far off 2500. Maybe I can do it. :)

[quote]And if worse comes to worse, start eating those cheeseburgers and pizza . Just kidding. I suggest you increase you calories to 4000 or something. Eat those healthy fats. Increase protein. etc. And you're lucky if you gain muscle without fat. You won't have to cut

4000 seems a little high, but I think I could do it if I ate some sweet delicious pizza. :) I'll probably still have to cut though, these past few years of drinkin like a booze whore gave me a little spare tire. :p

Increasing cals by that much at once would not be beneficial IMO.

I've always heard that big jumps in calorie levels are not good for you but I've always wondered why...the only thing I could think of was that my metabolism might not be ready for it and I would get fat. But my metabolism seems to be pretty insane so far. But still, 4000 cals doesn't sound appealing to me right now so I'll go slow when I up them. :)

Well it seems everyone agrees that I should up my calories a little. I'll give it a shot and see if I notice anymore changes. I've got to get more variety though, I've limited myself to what I'll eat a lot. I've been thinking of trading in my walnuts (yuck) in for some trail mix but don't know because of the extra sugar. Guess it won't kill me though. I love trail mix so I'd be able to eat a lot more of that than walnuts. Must find Natty PB also... :)

Thanks a lot you guys. You all helped me out and gave me some motivation so by this summer I'll be 160lbs if I have to eat rocks. :D

wibble