PDA

View Full Version : Low sodium&protein rich...

Orange357
03-28-2003, 06:12 AM
I need some idea for Low sodium and protein packed foods, for my last week of precontest...any ideas welcome.:)

Ironman8
03-28-2003, 07:25 AM
The only thing I can think of is a bag of unsalted pretzel snacks. 2 grams of protein for 16 of them, and a bag contains 9. So it's a about 18 grams of protein each bag. I sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

aka23
03-28-2003, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Orange357
I need some idea for Low sodium and protein packed foods, for my last week of precontest...any ideas welcome.:)

Be wary of any canned products, processed meats, smoked meats, marinated meats or meats with other sauces, luncheon meats, brand name meats, fast foods, or frozen foods; as they often have a lot of sodium added. Fresh meat and poultry is usually relatively low in sodium, since they usually do not have added salt. Plant based products tend to have the lowest sodium levels of all. It is a good idea to check nutrition labels for sodium levels and added salt. Here are the sodium contents of some protein rich foods in ~6oz or 1 cup servings:

1 cup Beans (cooked, not canned) -- 10 mg (Beans get 20-40% calories from protein)

No Salt Added Canned Tuna -- 90 mg
Regular Turkey Breast (no salt added) -- 90mg
Sirloin Steak (no salt added) -- 110 mg
Regular Chicken Breast (no salt added) -- 120 mg
1 cup Skim Milk -- 130 mg (Skim Milk gets ~25% calories from protein)
Ground Beef Patty (no salt added) -- 130 mg

Protein shake (comparable serving to other listings) -- ~250 mg
Canned Salmon (no salt added) -- 275 mg
1 cup Eggs -- 300 mg
50% Less Salt Canned Tuna -- 350 mg

Regular Canned Tuna -- ~600 mg

Canned Ham -- ~2000 mg
Regular Canned Salmon -- ~2500 mg
Oscar Meyer/Louis Rich Turkey Breast -- ~3000 mg
Oscar Meyer/Louis Rich Chicken Breast -- ~3000 mg
Smoked Salmon -- ~3500 mg

Ironman8
03-28-2003, 02:37 PM
Man, aka, you're knowledge astounds me :)

And orange, if you don't mind me asking, why are you limiting sodium for your contest?

Vido
03-28-2003, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by Ironman8
The only thing I can think of is a bag of unsalted pretzel snacks. 2 grams of protein for 16 of them, and a bag contains 9. So it's a about 18 grams of protein each bag. I sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Ok, I will overlook the absurd fact that you would suggest pretzels as a pre-contest food, but I won't overlook the glaring math error in your calculations.

There is 2 grams of protein per 16 pretzels. A bag contains 9 pretzels. This means there is approximately 1 gram of protein per bag. ONE GRAM!!!!

I do not want to sound like an ass, but it is very difficult not to in this situation. People come to the Diet and Nutrition board looking for sound advice from WBB members who have a clue as to what they are talking about. I'm sorry Ironman8, but you do not fit this description. I have yet to see an intelligent, and helpful post from you, so I believe I am doing all other members a big favour when I say PLEASE STOP POSTING ANSWERS TO PEOPLE'S QUESTIONS! You clearly are new to the Diet part of the Iron Game, so if you have questions that need to be answered by all means go ahead and post them. In the meantime, let others' queries be handled by those who have a reasonable knowledge base on the subject of nutrition.

Vido
03-28-2003, 11:31 PM

And orange, if you don't mind me asking, why are you limiting sodium for your contest?

Sodium leads to water retention, which is the last thing you want if you're going to step on stage.

Vido
03-28-2003, 11:35 PM
Orange357, AKA basically summed it up. You are going to have to eat your food as bland as possible if you don't want sodium. Almost anything that adds flavour will also considerably raise the amount of sodium in the meal. Stick with fresh meat, and products that say "No-Salt Added" such as cottage cheese, tuna, and natty pb.

Mystic Eric
03-28-2003, 11:38 PM

Ironman, I'm sorry but your sig has been bugging me for weeks now. It makes absolutely no sense! Please change it!

Ironman8
03-29-2003, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by Mystic Eric

Ironman, I'm sorry but your sig has been bugging me for weeks now. It makes absolutely no sense! Please change it!

You never watched Resevoir Dogs?