PDA

View Full Version : Question... about fat and calories...

lilkimlover69
03-28-2003, 11:39 AM
What is the diference and simarlarities between calories and grams of fat?

so... if i ate no fat but a lot of calories what would happen?
i'm talking bout eating food with no fat but still having calories like skim milk 90 calories, cereal 120 calories, rice cakes 50 calories, bagels 270 calories, fat free stuff pretty much but still having calories... all the food is 0g of fat on the label

thanks a lot

PowerManDL
03-28-2003, 11:50 AM
Calories are going to be the deciding factor on your overall body weight.

A gram of fat contains 9 calories.

You can still gain body fat and body weight by eating fat-free foods if you get too many calories.

lilkimlover69
03-28-2003, 12:07 PM
thanks but what i don't get it what is the difference between just plain calories and a gram of fat? like just 9 calories what is the difference with one gram of fat?

PowerManDL
03-28-2003, 12:11 PM
There are three main macro-nutrients in food: protein, carbohydrates, and fat.

Protein and carbs both have 4 calories per gram while fat has 9 per gram.

Any food's total calorie content is going to be based almost entirely on the presence of those three elements.

A calorie, in and of itself, is only the amount of energy contained within the item. The body functions by obtaining energy from food. If it gets enough calories, it grows; if it doesn't, it shrinks.

There's no real difference in the three, just that fat contains more energy per gram.

Shao-LiN
03-28-2003, 12:19 PM
Fat is a source of calories. Protein and Carbs are a source of calories. There is no "difference" between fat and calories, per se. It is just a greater source of calories compared to protein and carbohydrates.

I would recommend against an extremely low fat diet.

lilkimlover69
03-28-2003, 12:26 PM
i eat fat free stuff... like fat free yogurt and rice cakes, will i lose weight quicker that way instead of eating the same calorie but food with fat? thanks a lot

PowerManDL
03-28-2003, 12:28 PM
You'd probably see better results by including some fat and watching your carb intake, if you're looking for a body composition change.

bradley
03-28-2003, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by lilkimlover69
i eat fat free stuff... like fat free yogurt and rice cakes, will i lose weight quicker that way instead of eating the same calorie but food with fat? thanks a lot

If you are in a caloric deficit you will lose weight. The macronutrient that the calories come from is not going to determine weight loss.

Fat has benefits and I would recommend including fat in your diet.

Ironman8
03-28-2003, 02:31 PM
Low/no fat are dangerous. Fat is a concentrated source of energy, and if don't have any, you may go crazy. As long as you're active, I wouldn't really worry about fat.

P.S You should have healthy fats in your diet. Fish oil, flax, peanut butter, avocados, etc.

bradley
03-28-2003, 04:09 PM
Fat is a concentrated source of energy, and if don't have any, you may go crazy.

That's a new one.:confused:

Ironman8
03-28-2003, 04:35 PM
LOL! O.k, I may have exaggerated that a little, but there was this guy that cut fat completely out of his diet, and he commited suicide a few years later. But either ways, low/no fat diets are dangerous.