PDA

View Full Version : Bodyfat/Bulking/Cutting, etc.

JustinASU
03-29-2003, 03:23 PM
Hey guys, new guy here. I already posted an intro in general chat if you want to check that out. Lately I have been looking decidedly flabby. It looks to me that I may have lost size in my chest (my favorite and prized muscles) but I'm stronger than ever so I'm confused. Someone mentioned to me that maybe I have just gained fat and lost definition and I guess that could be the case. Anyways, getting to the point, when do I know its right to start cutting? Will cutting cause me to lose strength, as this is VERY important to me? I know nothing about cutting really so I could use some advice from you experts out there.

-Justin:strong:

Isaac Wilkins
03-29-2003, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by JustinASU
Hey guys, new guy here. I already posted an intro in general chat if you want to check that out. Lately I have been looking decidedly flabby. It looks to me that I may have lost size in my chest (my favorite and prized muscles) but I'm stronger than ever so I'm confused. Someone mentioned to me that maybe I have just gained fat and lost definition and I guess that could be the case. Anyways, getting to the point, when do I know its right to start cutting? Will cutting cause me to lose strength, as this is VERY important to me? I know nothing about cutting really so I could use some advice from you experts out there.

-Justin:strong:

When to start cutting is an individual thing. It depends upon your goals. In your intro you stated that you're kind of riding the fence between powerlifting and bodybuilding, which I'm doing the same (look at my journal, if you'd like). I feel that it's quite possible to succeed, early to mid lifting career, doing both. As a powerlifter, you only need to worry about cutting when you're having difficulty maintaining the weight class you like, or you feel you're too fat for the weight class. As a bodybuilder, how hard will it be to cut for your next show? A lot of bodybuilders I know don't like to go much higher than 15% bodyfat as a ceiling because of two reasons: They're prima donnas and don't like losing their abs, and at any higher bodyfat it takes them too long to cut into contest shape and lose too much muscle by extended dieting. Some stay at 10% year round.

If you're too fat, cut. If not, then keep eating and growing. Some feel that bodybuilders are better off spending their early, formative years eating everything in sight, gaining muscle and some fat, so as to build as much size as possible.

Chances are you will lose some strength while cutting, especially if it's for an extended period of time. The key is to minimize strength/muscle loss while maximizing fat loss. This is the fun of the study.

Severed Ties
03-29-2003, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Borris

A lot of bodybuilders I know don't like to go much higher than 15% bodyfat as a ceiling because of two reasons: They're prima donnas and don't like losing their abs, and at any higher bodyfat it takes them too long to cut into contest shape and lose too much muscle by extended dieting. Some stay at 10% year round.

I'm far from a prima donna...I'm just one pretty bastard,lol.:D

It's actually more the second reason than the first. A while ago I let my bodyfat balloon as high as 18% in the name of adding pure mass whereas I usually keep myself in the 10-12%. I found when I dieted back down to single digits I had a very hard time getting below 8% since I had dropped of a total 10% thus far coming down from the 18% bodyfat I was carrying before I started dieting. However had I started at 12% by time I got to 8% it was still relatively early into cutting and I'd have only lost 4% of my starting bodyfat at that point so my body was willing to give up further fat.

ST

Ironman8
03-29-2003, 04:45 PM
Will cutting cause me to lose strength, as this is VERY important to me?

Are you planning to do alot of cardio while cutting? If you are, you will loose some strenghth. Long periods of cardio cause catabolism, which means it uses muscle building protein as energy.

I suggest you go on CKD, which is basically a low carb diet. If you do it right, you can keep the muscle and cut the fat. Search around the board for more info on CKD.

Isaac Wilkins
03-29-2003, 04:49 PM
Yeah, I just did a month's experiment with CKD. I actually gained some strength, and dropped 2-3% bf. Good stuff.

JustinASU
03-29-2003, 05:16 PM
Thanks for the response fellas. This CKD sounds interesting. Strength is my primary goal and size is secondary but if there's a way to keep strength and cut fat thereby making me look more impressive that's definitely the route I'm gonna go. I'll search the board for info on this diet. Must it be supplemented with cardio or is that overkill?

-Justin

PS - I assume my drinking efforts last night did not help either. I wanted to stick with drinking a 6 pack but since an old friend was visiting me I ended up drinking about 16 and vomiting. I will avoid that situation in the future.

Isaac Wilkins
03-29-2003, 05:22 PM
Thanks for the response fellas. This CKD sounds interesting. Strength is my primary goal and size is secondary but if there's a way to keep strength and cut fat thereby making me look more impressive that's definitely the route I'm gonna go. I'll search the board for info on this diet. Must it be supplemented with cardio or is that overkill?

-Justin

PS - I assume my drinking efforts last night did not help either. I wanted to stick with drinking a 6 pack but since an old friend was visiting me I ended up drinking about 16 and vomiting. I will avoid that situation in the future.

Heh. I understand about the drinking. Not good, but I'm a college student, too.

Cardio is good on the CKD, but not as necessary as people think. I did cardio like three times for the entire month. If I had done cardio, I'd have had more success, I'm sure. However, since I was just trying it out, I didn't put forth the effort.

bradley
03-29-2003, 05:38 PM
I would recommend trying a more balanced approach first and then see what kind of results you get. A CKD is a very regimented diet and a more balanced approach might be easier for you to follow and stick with. I am not saying that the CKD is not a good diet I just believe that if you are just beginning to diet that you should just try and go with a more balanced approach, at least in the beginnig. Just make sure that you lose weight at a slow rate and this will help minimze LBM losses. Good luck with the diet and welcome to WBB:)

Xg74
03-29-2003, 10:41 PM
HIIT. Metabolize that fat!