PDA

View Full Version : Bulking diet?!

m1ke
03-30-2003, 05:43 PM
Hey everyone, this'll be my first post on wbb. Well anyways, I just recently started lifting and want to develop a diet that is primarily aimed at gaining weight. The whole ectomorph body type is pretty much me... it's literally as if I can eat as much as possible and not gain a pound. I've been starting to hit the gym regularly, I'm seeing strength gains but not much as far as weight gains go.

From what I've been reading, it seems like I need to go on a huge bulking period. I mean you gotta have the mass before you can begin to sculpt anything out of it right? :)

If anyone could provide some information that might help me bulk up, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Mike

Ironman8
03-30-2003, 06:15 PM
Hi M1ke. Welcome to WBB!

For your bulking diet, I suggest you slowly increase calories to your caloric intake right now until you start gaining atleast a pound each week. Eat lots of protein as well as healthy fat (i.e fish oil, flax, natural peanut butter, etc.).

You can also use the search engine on the board to search for some bulking topics. Hope I helped a little. Good luck!

m1ke
03-30-2003, 07:35 PM
Thanks for the reply, very helpful :)

I'll be sure to do some more reading on the site. I'd classify myself as a very hard gainer, so hopefully I'll come across something. :read:

Thx again

Vido
03-30-2003, 11:00 PM
There's no such thing as a hard gainer. There are only people who have to eat more than others in order to achieve their desired gains in lean mass.

m1ke
03-30-2003, 11:21 PM
Hehe, isn't that what a hard gainer is? someone who has to eat more than others to gain weight/muscle mass?... :scratch:

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong :D

Vido
03-30-2003, 11:59 PM
It's true m1ke, that is what a "hardgainer" is. It's just that many people who fall under this category often use it as an excuse as to why they are not seeing any gains, when in fact if you asked them to record their diet, you'd see they are lacking severely. Be happy that you have a quick metabolism. Trust me, coming from someone with a slower metabolism, I'd be a lot happier if I could eat to my heart's content w/o ever worrying about getting fat.

m1ke
03-31-2003, 01:55 AM
Oh ok, now I see where you're coming from. Sorry if I came off like a bit of an a**hole with my last reply.

Thanks for the bit of insight Vido, it's much appreciated.

- mike

bradley
03-31-2003, 02:43 AM
Spread your daily calories over 5-6 meals a day. As suggested keep increasing you daily cals each week until you are gaining about .5-1lb per week.

Get approx. 1g of protein per lb. of bodyweight, 25-30% of daily calories from fat, and carbs from low glycemic index sources (except postworkout which should include high glycemic index carbs).

Good protein sources would include things like lean beef, chicken, eggs, fish, and dairy products. Fats should come mainly from healthy sources such as nuts, natural peanut butter, flax oil, fish oil, olive oil, etc. Low glycemic index carbs include foods like oatmeal, sweet potatoes, bean, ww bread, veggies, etc.

Like Vido suggested you might want to keep a journal of your food intake for the first couple of days to make sure that you are eating adequate calories each day. You could also use a sight like www.fitday.com to do this.

Welcome to WBB

Ironman8
03-31-2003, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by Vido
Trust me, coming from someone with a slower metabolism, I'd be a lot happier if I could eat to my heart's content w/o ever worrying about getting fat.

LOL! I know what you mean. If I had fast metabolism, I would be eating pizzas and cheeseburgers everyday :D