PDA

View Full Version : Need to increase appetite

icanrace
03-30-2003, 06:43 PM
Any ideas? My appetite sucks and I need to eat more. What should I do to build a better appetite?

ryan1117
03-30-2003, 06:47 PM
Eat a something extra during every meal. That way, things can add up by the end of the day without you noticing much of a difference.

Ironman8
03-30-2003, 07:17 PM
Eat things you like.

LAM
03-30-2003, 07:23 PM
increase you carbohydrate intake. when insulin levels are not stable you will often feel hungry

Ironman8
03-30-2003, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by LAM
increase you carbohydrate intake. when insulin levels are not stable you will often feel hungry

Wow! I learn something new everyday.

powerhalf
03-30-2003, 09:57 PM
Put cheese on stuff. It is pretty calorie dense, tastes good, and has a bit of protein in it.

lilpenis
03-31-2003, 08:16 AM
man i wishi was in your position.Eat like a madman. Whole milk, eggs,tuna. Leave the table feeling bloated. Not "just right" or "still hungry"

body
03-31-2003, 08:59 AM
drink kcals is easier than eating them.

cook foods that smell nice as they increase appetite why do you think supermarkets vent the smell of cooking bread and bacon? its increase your appetite.

aka23
03-31-2003, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by LAM

Meals containing natural, fiber-rich carbohydrates usually make persons feel full and reduce appetite. Sugars and other high GI carbs may result in premature hunger. However, increasing intake of sugers and high GI carbs may have negative consequenses on your health. There are better ways to increse your calorie intake, such as splitting the calories up into many small meals.

The study at http://www.diabetesnet.com/diabetes_food_diet/satiety_index.php found potatoes to best satisfy hunger over a two hour period. Croissants and cakes were least satisfying. Foods that are rich in fat, sugar, and lower in fiber tend to be least satisfying over this type of short period. Over longer periods, insulin spikes play a greater role. Such spikes can result in premature hunger. A large intake of high GI carbs, like potatoes is satisfying for the short term, but may cause premature hunger. Lower GI carbs, fiber-rich meals, and meals containing good amounts of protein/fat all reduce this type of spike.

restless
03-31-2003, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by aka23

The study at http://www.diabetesnet.com/diabetes_food_diet/satiety_index.php Foods that are rich in fat, sugar, and lower in fiber tend to be least satisfying over this type of short period. .

Do you mean foods that are rich in fat and sugar simultaneously?

MrWebb78
03-31-2003, 01:50 PM
fuzu

aka23
03-31-2003, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by restless
Do you mean foods that are rich in fat and sugar simultaneously?

The foods that are lowest in the satiety index listed in the linked study contain significant quantities of both sugar and fat, as well as little fiber. For example a doughnut might get 40% of its calories from fat and 30% of its calories from sugar. Some types of pastries have higher levels of fat. Some have higher levels of sugar. All of the pastries in the listed study had a very low satiety index. One of the articles mentioned at the bottom of the page offers an explanation,

"Ironically, the tastiest foodsóthose high in sugar and fat, like sweet bakery productsówere the least satiating. That's because volunteers reached their caloric limit for these foods before they'd eaten enough to feel satisfied."

This makes it sound like there is a psychological component as well. The servings of pastries might have felt too small or might have left the participants wanting more. Looking at other foods, fat seems more connected to a low satiety index than sugar. The jelly beans were probably almost pure sugar, and scored higher than white bread in satiety. The foods with higher fat content generally scored lower.

Ironman8
03-31-2003, 05:24 PM
I thought fats make you feel full longer?

MrWebb78
03-31-2003, 05:27 PM
im always hungry, i wouldnt know

aka23
03-31-2003, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Ironman8
I thought fats make you feel full longer?

The study only looked at hunger during the first two hours after eating. I think they would have found different results if they had looked a longer durations. Fats probably would have scored higher, and high GI carbs like potatoes probably would have scored lower.

steveo
04-01-2003, 12:47 PM
When I eat more meals I get hungry faster. more smaller meals easy for me when I cut I eat about every 2 hours

Ironman8
04-01-2003, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by steveo
When I eat more meals I get hungry faster.

Same here. For me, it's more easier eating 6 meals, every 2 hours, with snacks in-between. So basically, I'm always eating :D