PDA

View Full Version : Is cardio possible without running etc?

lilpenis
03-31-2003, 07:35 AM
Ok. I'm 6'2 203lbs. I've been lifting for about a year. Now it seems my lovehandles and belly are growing faster than my muscles. I've tried eating less before, but I felt my stomach digesting itself :eek: That, and I don't want to lose my muscle.

I don't eat any junk food. Anybody have any tips?
I do resistance training 4 days a week (fairly intense) and just started situps almost every night. Gotta lose this fat before summer :cry:

Is there any way to do this WITHOUT jogging? My best bet would be a mix of cardio and dieting correct? :help:

hemants
03-31-2003, 08:01 AM
Like most of us you are in the not so unique position of wanting to lose fat AND gain muscle.

Your best bet is to continue to lift heavy and create a caloric defecit of 200-400 calories per day.

Aim for 1/2 to 1 lb a week of weight loss with no loss in strength.

Have patience!

body
03-31-2003, 09:03 AM
there are many form of cardio beside jogging such as other machine at the gym like exercise bike, rowing machines.
plus outside the gym such as a normal bike, swimming etc.

Shao-LiN
03-31-2003, 09:26 AM
You can drop the sit ups every night. Your abs are a muscle just like everything else you're working, work it like one...train it with weight no more than 3 times a week I'd say.

As for cardio, there are many different forms as has been suggested. But they're all pretty equally as intense. Is there some reason you don't want to jog? If it's just laziness, I'd say suck it up, hehe.

IceRgrrl
03-31-2003, 10:42 AM
Yup, there ARE lots of forms of cardio other than running: biking (either outdoors on a real bike or indoors on an exercise bike), the stair machine, the elliptical machine, walking (try it on an inclined treadmill to make it more challenging), skipping rope (all those boxers can't be wrong ;) )...mainly, just find something you like, or can tolerate, so that you'll stick with it and rotate activities to keep from getting bored. :p

For an intense interval cardio workout, you might want to try Spinning or Cycle Reebok classes...you'll never look at a stationary bike the same way again. The classes are intense and last about 45 min to an hour, but they fly by quickly because you're always changing things up. It's non-impact, so it's easy on the joints, and burns a lot of calories if you push it. If you try it, bring a towel and water bottle b/c you'll sweat your a$$ off. Thr group exercise aspect is good motivation and if the instructor plays good music, it's a bonus. It's a great cardio activity for cutting, in my experience.

Oh, and your user-name is quite amusing, I must say ;)

lilpenis
03-31-2003, 01:23 PM
thanks for the replies guys. What's sad is I used to play tennis everyday. Hmm..maybe I'll start that rope jumping thing. I'll have to find an exercise bike.

Relentless
03-31-2003, 01:36 PM
For your purposes, joining a soccer club or something where you can run around and play a game a couple of evenings a week may be the answer. Ultimate frisbee or touch football are also good ones for getting your running around done without the boredom/pain of just going out for a run.

Tennis might not be bad if you really WORK at it and don't just volley like a p***y. :D It helps if you play someone who is about 30% better than you are.

restless
03-31-2003, 01:37 PM
What's you macronutrient breakdown and caloric intake?

lilpenis
03-31-2003, 01:47 PM
umm..hmm. Well, I can tell you what I eat.

Breakfeast-usually sunny side egg, [insert meat dish here] with rice (I'm filipino. It's the law..well half filipino)

Lunch -usually a whole can of tuna with some juice. Or if I hit Applebees with the co-workers it's the "Applebee's Fahitas" or honey grilled salmon.

Workout-I workout at lunch time and immediately follow it with a tiny meal with or without a protein shake.

Dinner-changes everynight. Depends on the cook :D Usually rice, some type of meat, and potatoes.

Snack before bed-Protein shake or ham sandwich

Sleep-Eat saliva and whatever bug decides to make it's way in my mouth when it's open

Ironman8
03-31-2003, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by lilpenis
I'll have to find an exercise bike.

Bike outside. IMO, it gets boring excercising on a stationary bike after a while. Enjoy the outdoors :)

Leviathan
03-31-2003, 07:07 PM
The recumbent bike is a great alternative to running because it requires no coordination. You are in a prone position so you can focus all your efforts on intensity, rather than balance. Contrary to what some have suggested, you don't require 45 minutes of cardio to burn fat. In fact, I'd suggest you NOT do 45 minutes of cardio if you want to maintain muscle mass.

If you put the recumbent bike on an interval setting and maintain high intensity throughout your cardio session you only require 16-18 minutes of cardio.

The good thing is that doing cardio increases your metabolism throughout the day. In other words, if you do cardio in the morning, your body will continue to burn calories at a faster rate than normal throughout the rest of the day.

Finally, to increase motivation, use a bike that has a distance meter. Try to beat your previous time every time you do cardio.

Budiak
04-01-2003, 12:46 AM
I'd say maybe..Kayaking, if its available. Paddle down rive and back up again in an afternoon and you'll burn more than a few calories. Make sure your diet and all that is in line so you dont overtrain your arms because of it.

Rowing is good,too. Mountain biking can burn a lot of calories in a relatively short amount of time, and I've read that concentration and mental focus also burns calories.

Shao-LiN
04-01-2003, 02:29 AM
I'm filipino and I've gone long stretches of dieting w/o rice. I'm sure you can do it as well =). Not that you have to...but anyway, all about the will. As my friend always says, "it's all mental."

Ironman8
04-01-2003, 07:20 AM
lilpenis, do you eat brown rice or white rice? If you eat white rice, replace it with brown. It's more nutritionally sound.

lilpenis
04-01-2003, 08:13 AM
Hey Sao-LiN, I'm filipino too :D. well half...

Ironman8, lilpenis eats white rice. I may stop eating rice all together.