PDA

View Full Version : Please check my diet...



BrunoBB
03-31-2003, 09:56 PM
My primary goal right now is to loose fat.

As of 3/31/03
Age: 39
Height: 5'8"
Weight: 185
BF%: ~20%

My current diet as of today:
Meal 1 - 1 egg + 2 egg whites, 2 slices wheat toast
Meal 2 - Protein shake w/12 oz 2% milk, 1 cup mixed fruit
Meal 3 - 6 oz Chicken breast or fish or red meat, and 1/2 cup rice
Meal 4 - 1 can Tuna on 2 slices wheat toast
Meal 5 - 6 oz Chicken breast or fish or red meat, and 1/2 cup rice, salad w/lite dressing, 1/2 cup green beans (or 1/2 cup asparagus, or 1/2 cup zuchini)
Meal 6 - 1 apple, 3 Tblsp peanut butter

Approx 1 gallon of water per day.

My goal is to loose approx 1 - 1.5 lbs per week. I will be doing lite to moderate cardio and weight training.

Thanks in advance.

Berserker
03-31-2003, 10:15 PM
I would add a little more protein to breakfast. Egg whites don't have as much protein as whole eggs.

bradley
04-01-2003, 02:40 AM
I agree with Berserker in that you should probably go ahead and add in another whole egg in the morning and I would trade in the ww toast for some oatmeal.

I would probably try and get some protein in with that last meal preferably a slow digesting protein like caisen. Cottage cheese would be a good choice IMO.

Also instead of having 3 tablespoons of natty pb you might think about sustituting some of that with some omega 3 fats and spread that throughout the day. Fish oil would be a good choice for the omega 3 fats.

Ironman8
04-01-2003, 07:12 AM
Yeah, get those Omega-3s in there.

BrunoBB
04-01-2003, 09:58 AM
Thanks to all for the quick and constructive replys.

I was/am concerned that I'm not getting enough calories with this diet, but from the suggestions mentioned I don't think I'm too far off.

I will make the changes you've all suggested.

MrWebb78
04-01-2003, 10:07 AM
with the protein shake, try a lower fat milk, 1% or skim.

make sure its Natural PB!!!

BrunoBB
04-01-2003, 10:15 AM
With regards to rice, does it have to be brown rice or will Basmati rice be okay? I ask because I'm NOT particularly fond of brown rice...

bradley
04-01-2003, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by BrunoBB
With regards to rice, does it have to be brown rice or will Basmati rice be okay? I ask because I'm particularly fond of brown rice...

The brown basmati rice would be fine as it has more nutritional value than the white rice.

raniali
04-01-2003, 11:17 AM
actually - i checked labels last week at the store ... and white basmati has more fiber than brown rice (at least according to the labels). go figure.

bradley
04-01-2003, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by raniali
actually - i checked labels last week at the store ... and white basmati has more fiber than brown rice (at least according to the labels). go figure.

I know this is being picky but I found this:

http://www.purityfoods.com/nutrition/whitebasmati.html

Could have something to do with what brand you are looking at:confused:

aidano
04-01-2003, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by BrunoBB
Thanks to all for the quick and constructive replys.

I was/am concerned that I'm not getting enough calories with this diet, but from the suggestions mentioned I don't think I'm too far off.

I will make the changes you've all suggested.

Also, if you're not already, track your calories on http://www.fitday.com

It's great for tracking your calories, and generally makes the whole cutting process a bit more interesting.

raniali
04-01-2003, 12:03 PM
hmmm - verrrrrrrrry interesting. can you find anything for jasmine rice (cuz maybe that was it)?

aka23
04-01-2003, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by BrunoBB
With regards to rice, does it have to be brown rice or will Basmati rice be okay? I ask because I'm NOT particularly fond of brown rice...

In white rice, the bran and germ is removed during the milling process. Much of the fiber and nutritional content is eliminated as well. Brown rice has the bran, germ, and nutrional content intact. Basmati rice is fine, so long as the bran and germ have not been removed. I would expect this to be the case with brown basmati rice, but not with white basmati rice.

BrunoBB
04-01-2003, 12:32 PM
Aidano: Actually I am tracking calories etc with fitday.com

bradley
04-01-2003, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by aka23


In white rice, the bran and germ is removed during the milling process. Much of the fiber and nutritional content is eliminated as well. Brown rice has the bran, germ, and nutrional content intact. Basmati rice is fine, so long as the bran and germ have not been removed. I would expect this to be the case with brown basmati rice, but not with white basmati rice.

You are correct aka23 in that the basmati brown rice has only the outer husk removed while leaving everything else pretty much intact.

Ironman8
04-01-2003, 05:38 PM
Hey, Bradley, I remember you telling me something about white rice being turned into glucose more rapidly, which leads to weight gain.

AJ_11
04-01-2003, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by Ironman8
Hey, Bradley, I remember you telling me something about white rice being turned into glucose more rapidly, which leads to weight gain.

White rice doesn't have as much fibre in it therefor is a higher GI. Not too sure about the glucose thing though.

bradley
04-02-2003, 02:43 AM
Originally posted by Ironman8
Hey, Bradley, I remember you telling me something about white rice being turned into glucose more rapidly, which leads to weight gain.

White rice has a higher glycemic index so it will cause a greater insulin response than say brown rice.

All carbohydrates are converted into sugar by the body, and white rice will be converted into sugar at a very fast rate. This is what leads to the greater insulin response. Excess calories is what causes weight gain.

Ironman8
04-02-2003, 07:31 AM
Oh, ok. Thanks