PDA

View Full Version : rough estimate of cals?

peatr99
03-31-2003, 11:04 PM
ok let me know if this is even close to be slightly rational.

if i lift and exercise, and i eat whenever I get hungry, just enough to make me not hungry anymore, is this about my maintainance amount of food?

similarly: if i eat just enough during meals, so that by the next meal i'm starving would this be roughly a good cut diet? or the inverse for a bulk diet?

does this make sense or is hunger no indication of calories.

Magnus
03-31-2003, 11:08 PM
that last sentence you said is correct.

Shao-LiN
04-01-2003, 02:38 AM
I don't always get hungry, even when I ate 1 meal for a day at about 500 calories. Hunger isn't an indication of maintenance or what not.

bradley
04-01-2003, 03:13 AM
Find your maintenance calorie level, which would be the average amount of calories that you eat each day to maintain your weight. The most accurate way to do this would be to track your cals for a week and see how your weight repsonds at the end of the week. Make sure that you weigh in at the same time at the beginning and end of the week so as to get the most accurate weight measurement. First thing in the morning would be the best time IMO. Then if you are trying to lose weight eat slightly under your maintenance level and if trying to gain eat slightly above your maintenance level.

aka23
04-01-2003, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by peatr99
ok let me know if this is even close to be slightly rational.

if i lift and exercise, and i eat whenever I get hungry, just enough to make me not hungry anymore, is this about my maintainance amount of food?
does this make sense or is hunger no indication of calories.

Many persons do not track calories, eat whenever they are hungry, and maintain a fairly stable weight. There are other persons that gain a good amount of weight if they eat according to hunger. I have found that if I immediately eat whenever I am hungry and only eat when I am hungry, then my calories come out to be very close to my maintenance level. Over a period of several days, the average is usually within 5% of my maintenance level. It is important to note that while hunger is correlated with calorie intake, it also depends on many other variables including diet, activity, metabolism, genetics, growth, medical factors, and psychological factors.

I suggest following an approach like bradley suggested and tracking your calories. Fitday.com is useful for this purpose. Once you find a calorie level that maintains your weight, you can make small adjustments to gain or lose weight. Your maintenence calorie level depends on activity and TEF (themal effect of food) as well as RMR; so if you change your activity level or make major changes in your diet, then your maintenence calorie level may change.