PDA

View Full Version : Metabolic Rate Variance

Fenbay
04-01-2003, 10:13 AM
This has probably been discussed ad nausea, but I am feeling extra lazy today so lemme ask again.

Have there been any studies to see just how drastically ones genetic predisposed metabolic rate can affect NEEDED caloric intake to maintain bodyweight? Thus caloric intake for a cut might be much less than the average persons.

For instance say the old 12Xbodyweight is a standard. Could someone who has a massively slow metabolism really be say 9Xbodyweight for mainteance etc?

I'd really like to hear of any studies folks might know about that tested this. Certainly seems pretty simple a study to run if it hasn't been done.

aka23
04-01-2003, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Fenbay
For instance say the old 12Xbodyweight is a standard. Could someone who has a massively slow metabolism really be say 9Xbodyweight for mainteance etc?

There are people on this forum who reported having maintenance levels near 9xBW. This is not unusual among persons who have done very low calorie diets. Some anorexics have lowered their metabolism so much, that they gain weight on only a few hundred calories a day. Persons with underactive thyroid disorders are also known for very slow metabolisms.

You can read about the Minnesota Stravation study at http://216.239.53.100/search?q=cache:ewxSssTFreIC:jaoii.lunarpages.com/minn.html&hl=en&ie=UTF-8 . The study involved cutting calorie intake in half for a six month period. At the end of the stravation portion of the study, the participants basal metabolic rate had dropped an average of 40% below normal. I am not sure if that is the type of study you were looking for. A similar study that I could not find on the Internet found that 500 calorie-a-day diets slowed metabolic rate by 87%.

Ironman8
04-01-2003, 05:41 PM
Why would people want to participate in that study?!

captnjosh
04-01-2003, 05:46 PM
MONEY!

aka23
04-01-2003, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by Ironman8
Why would people want to participate in that study?!

The study took place during the Korean war. Participants volunteered for the study "as an alternative to military service."

Shao-LiN
04-01-2003, 10:25 PM
Plus you get paid to "diet". Not everyone is educated enough to know a correct diet. There are lots of people out there starving themselves thinking it will help them get a great body.

Fenbay
04-02-2003, 07:00 AM
Wowsa! Aka23....

Those are some very very significant numbers there.

I guess to try and find my TRUE maintenance caloric requirements I need to track my caloric intake for a week and strictly monitor my weight for that week.

I can see a lot of variables in it though with cardio and work outs. I'll have to try and do my normal routine and not go above and beyond or below what I consider to be an average week lifting and cardio wise.

Thanks for the info. I had no idea such dramatic variance was possible.

Ironman8
04-02-2003, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by Fenbay
I guess to try and find my TRUE maintenance caloric requirements I need to track my caloric intake for a week and strictly monitor my weight for that week.

Ya, that's a good idea.