PDA

View Full Version : ex football player wanting to cut down, help?

sirhc
04-01-2003, 12:57 PM
to make a long story short, i used to play college football. i got hurt.. blah blah. my shoulder is where i was hurt.

the position i played required me to be big. i'm 6'2 278 or so. I don't exactly know my bf% but i'm sure it's up there. I'll get dunked on campus later in the week.

so now that I don't want or need this weight anymore I'd like to get rid of it. Don't get me wrong though, I'm not just pure fat. We lifted too and my endurance isn't too bad since we had to run for training too.

I've always eaten the "right" foods. I mostly eat oatmeal, lean meats, supplemented omega 3's (udo's choice, flax, fish, nat pb), vegtables, only drink water etc. I just ate more of that stuff because for my position that's what was pretty much required.

What I need help with is calories. i am pretty oblivious as to what I need to take in calorie wise, or the ratio of protien/carbs/fat etc. I won't do a CKD diet or anything like that.

As for training, I'm not giving weights up, but my focus will be moreso based on endurance. I am joining the marines in approx ~1 year, and so I need to up my endurance. Right now I can run 2 miles in 18 minutes, 48 seconds. I plan to setup a cardio routine based off of being dynamic with it. Like a combination of HIIT/distance/high intensity/sprints etc.

But as I said, I'm very open to ideas. I've never been a cardio based person so I'm sure I'll have something wrong in it, as well as problems with diet, which is why i'm posting anyway ;)

Thanks for any help

bradley
04-01-2003, 04:34 PM
Sounds like you just need to decrease your overall calories a little each week until you begin losing weight. I would say start by decreasing cals by about 300 the first week and see how your body responds. I wouldn't cut cals too quickly, especially since you are planning on incorporating different types of cardio at the same time that you will be cutting calories.

Try eating small meals spread 2-3 hours apart if you are not doing so. I would try and get 1g of protein per lb of bw, choose low GI carbs and don't skip out on the healthy fats. From your post it seems like you have that covered. Using a site like www.fitday.com can make it easy to keep up with your calorie intake while trying to adjust your diet.

Welcome to WBB:)

Ironman8
04-01-2003, 05:33 PM
Ya, it's all about the calories. You don't have to do cardio to lose weight, you have to be at a calorie deficit at the end of the day.