View Full Version : Spinach

Lesnar_Rocks
04-02-2003, 09:38 AM
Is spinach a good thing to eat, Like when your bulking?:help:

Isaac Wilkins
04-02-2003, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by Lesnar_Rocks
Is spinach a good thing to eat, Like when your bulking?:help:

Spinach is a good thing to eat because of its nutrients. It's not really a bulking food because it's very low in calories. I still eat it when I'm bulking, but it's just part of the mix.

Lesnar_Rocks
04-02-2003, 09:48 AM
Ok, good. I was just wondering because i eat my lunch here and well portions are really that good, I had a whole lotta spinach today though among other stuff, milk and potatoes for carbs...yo borris do i want to be eating carbs?

Isaac Wilkins
04-02-2003, 09:51 AM
Ok, good. I was just wondering because i eat my lunch here and well portions are really that good, I had a whole lotta spinach today though among other stuff, milk and potatoes for carbs...yo borris do i want to be eating carbs?

Knowing you as I do, I'd be eating everything in sight, carbs included. Personally, I tend to function better on lower carbs, even while bulking, but that's just me. I think you'll do well with the milk and potatoes. Spinach is great, I eat it almost every day, actually.

If you're bulking, carbs are your friend. :cool:

Lesnar_Rocks
04-02-2003, 09:52 AM
Okay, i'm assuming i'll need to take a good junk of fat in as well?

Relentless
04-02-2003, 09:55 AM
spinach is overrated

collard greens = much much better

Isaac Wilkins
04-02-2003, 09:56 AM
Okay, i'm assuming i'll need to take a good junk of fat in as well?

What do you mean, exactly? You mean taking in a good amount of fat in your diet?

If so, then yeah. 25-30% of cals from fat works out pretty well. Because I reduce carbs a lot, I tend to take in more fat than a lot of people do. I end up closer to 40% sometimes, with lots of fish, olive, and safflower oil. I don't think you need to get that drastic yet.

Don't kill yourself with fat, but eat some peanut butter, red meat, etc. You should be doing fine with that.

Check with Bradley and Ranaili on here. They know their dieting.

Also, check out my journal. I've detailed some of my successes and mistakes, both with diet and training.

Lesnar_Rocks
04-02-2003, 10:00 AM
Yeah, that's what i meant junk was supposed to be chunk, sorry not a very good typer, okay i'll check on the journal. And bradley and ranaili.

bradley
04-02-2003, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Callahan
spinach is overrated

collard greens = much much better

You sure you are not secretly living in the South?:D

If so, then yeah. 25-30% of cals from fat works out pretty well. Because I reduce carbs a lot, I tend to take in more fat than a lot of people do. I end up closer to 40% sometimes, with lots of fish, olive, and safflower oil. I don't think you need to get that drastic yet.

Sounds like good advice IMO. Also if you are looking for something different try some salmon. It is loaded with protein and healthy fats and also tastes good:)

I would just get your 1g or protein per lb. of bodyweight, 25-30% of cals from fat, and fill in the rest of you daily cals with low GI carbs, except for postworkout in which high GI would be recommended.

Ironman8
04-02-2003, 06:16 PM
Oh ya! Salmon is awesome. I gotta have some at least twice a week.

Lesnar_Rocks
04-02-2003, 06:49 PM
Salmon Ewwww!!!

GIS
04-07-2003, 11:55 AM
Part of bulking is making sure you get a full range of nutrients. Therefore spinach is a great thing to eat, but don't expect to achieve your 3,000+ bulking calories from it alone. Think of it as more of a compliment.

raniali
04-07-2003, 12:42 PM
personally - i think the most effective diet is one that includes foods you like and can eat consistently. i personally DESPISE cottage cheez although it is a quality food. if you hate salmon, don't eat it. the only fish i eat is canned tuna -- and even that i eat with condiments of some sort. however, bear in mind, that more restrictive you make your diet, the more you need to supplement with vitamins/minerals/oils to ensure you get the vitals you need.

spinach is good - but too much can result in an inability to absorb calcium (from the ultra high phosphorous content). i don't think you have to worry about too much unless that is the only leafy or veggie thing you are eating and you eat a bushel a day. just trying to emphasize the importance of eating a variety of things. if you are bulking, i would try to consume denser carbs (with your veggies), plenty of good fats (as they are anabolic) and protein, of course. keeping a dietary journal is vital to understanding and correcting your diet for yourself -- especially if you are in this (the lifestyle) for the long haul.