PDA

View Full Version : protien per sitting??

nobby
04-02-2003, 12:07 PM
hi all, in a attempt to try and sort out a decent protien mix i have got some max meal, although its similar to myoplex its much higher in protien at 52.8g per sachet.
i remember reading many years ago that the stomach can only digest about 30g of protien per sitting and the rest is expelled as waste, is this still believed as true, or is it a good idead to split these sachets into 2 servings a hour or so apart..
cheers for al the help so far.
andy

Paul Stagg
04-02-2003, 12:09 PM
There isn't a 'limit'.

Vido
04-02-2003, 12:15 PM
Paul's right, there isn't a limit to how much you can absorb at once. However, your idea of spreading out the serving over a longer period of time makes sense to me, especially if you are dealing with whey protein.

hemants
04-02-2003, 12:45 PM
There is no "limit" but if you're protein requirements are 180g per day and you eat that all in one meal, chances are, your muscles are not going to get 180g worth of rebuilding blocks.

Ironman8
04-02-2003, 06:21 PM
Ditto.

Holto
04-02-2003, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by nobby
i remember reading many years ago that the stomach can only digest about 30g of protien per sitting and the rest is expelled as waste

I'm just speculating but for the protein to leave your stomach it would first need to be broken down into indivdual amino acids (or be destoyed by stomach acid ?)

then once in the upper part of the GI tract the ability to absorb amino's is very good

I suspect that you could easily digest 60+g's or so but would your lean tissue be able to absorb it

nobby
04-03-2003, 02:32 AM
hi all
thanks for the replys,it gives me a good idea of how to spread out my mixes, im going to ask when im in work next( hospital) about how much pure protein can be absorbed by the upper gi tract, i know that peristaltic flow is about 1cm per min so anything you eat moves through the body at that speed irrespective of what it is, i suppose it depends on what it is and if all amino acids are present to allow for full protein assimilation.
cheers for now guys