PDA

View Full Version : v.skinny guy - any opinions?

rich
04-02-2003, 12:14 PM
Here are some pics of my skinny ass in boxers, please take it easy! I know I'm a skinny f**k :(

I just started lifting about 3 weeks ago, no real visual progress yet but I think it's too early to tell.

Can anyone reassure me that I will be able to get bigger? This is my natural body shape, the same as my brother and my dad. Lankiness runs in the family (I am 6ft3in 150lbs, my bro is 6ft8in).

Unfortunately just eating more doesn't seem to work as I already have a slight chin and gaining any lard seems to amplify the problem.

My legs are what I am most paranoid about, especially my calves. As you can see 'stringy' would be an understatement.

Will I be able to get bigger? Any comments/help/opinions/non-verbal abuse would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

[images removed]

Bam Bam
04-02-2003, 12:30 PM
you can do it

aidano
04-02-2003, 02:01 PM
You can definitely do it.

You're right that 3 weeks is too early to tell. Look up on this site to find out what you should be doing nutritionally, try one of the WBB routines and give it some time. I can't see any chin there - don't worry about fat gain right now. If you're eating right and training right you'll be fine.

bigkevin20
04-02-2003, 02:07 PM
Wow
Eat more lift heavy find a routine and ask many questions. Who cares if you gain some fat at 153 dont have much to lose bro.

raniali
04-02-2003, 02:34 PM
eat
a lot
more
... and even *some* fat gain wouldn't be too bad

don't think about what you can't do; instead remind yourself of what you CAN do.

rich
04-02-2003, 02:36 PM
Thanks dudes..

I'm actually working on WBB#1 right now but I only have weights (for the moment) so my routine is impared - i.e. no squats or presses. Apart from that it's looking pretty good, I'm adding weights every workout and pushing to the limits.

One other thing I didn't mention - although I look like it, I'm no pussy. I do some physically demanding manual work and cope no problems, and I can lift way more than my averaged size friends.

As for eating more - I do eat quite a lot as it is, people can't believe how much I eat sometimes. But I tried forcing myself to eat even more and I put on weight under my chin, on my gut and that's about it. I'd love to forget the whole bodybuilding thing and just eat but it just doesn't work for me.

WillKuenzel
04-02-2003, 03:04 PM
Dude if you are that small then you don't have to worry about putting on fat or you would have done it already. Your metabolism is fast enough that what weight you do add it will be muscle unless of course you are eating over 10,000 calories, then you might get some fat on there.

I also hardly doubt that you have much of a chin. If you do put some weight on in the face don't worry about it. Its probably just your body wanting to do that first. Start eating and eat alot. I ain't talking about one plate and one extra serving. Eat everything and anything. You should never feel hungry during the day. Eat every 2 hours. Hell eat every 2 minutes.

Its possibe for you to put on weight. I started out at 5'10" 145. I'm 5'10" and something right at 200lbs. It took me some time but I'm up there. Anything is possible.

PeterParker
04-02-2003, 04:21 PM
u take that supplement 110% and u will get big, dont forget to eat everything insight[ that includes children and next doors dog]
good luck man, u got a journal started,

Trunks
04-02-2003, 04:27 PM
You have the same physique as me! i am just an inch shorter than you and I started out at 126 pounds. I am now 143 pounds and i did it all on a vegetarian diet. If you eat meat it has a higher protein value. You can do it! (If i can do it, anyone can)

Rygar
04-02-2003, 08:09 PM
YOU CAN DO IT:)
It's great that you have a physically demanding job?
You came to the right place, you'll get some solid advice here.
I would say that the biggest hurdle will be TIME, it will just take time but you'll get there:)

Tryska
04-03-2003, 08:51 AM
one can ALWAYS squat, regardless of what weights they have handy. by weights do you mean dumbbells?

i saw a bunch of plates behind you, so you must have a barbell around somewhere yeah?

rich
04-03-2003, 10:49 AM
thanks for all the words of encouragement.

Trunks - good to know i'm not a total metabolic freak of nature. do you have any before/after pics? dont worry if you havent.

tryska - yeah.. i bought an olympic barbell set. i did try doing squats but i found that my lower body is much stronger than my upper body so i can't get enough weight off the floor onto my shoulders to give my legs enough of a workout. also after i had done the 8th rep, i had lost the strength to lift the weights over my head and put them back down again. managed to lower them behind me on a pile of junk but it was a close call, i think i'll be buying a squat rack before i try that again.

Tryska
04-03-2003, 10:52 AM
ah...i understand. that makes sense. perhaps you can deadlift in the meantime. it's not quite the same as a squat as far as legs specifically, but it is still a great massbuilder.

rich
04-03-2003, 10:57 AM
yep deadlifts are on the routine sheet :)

aidano
04-03-2003, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by rich
thanks for all the words of encouragement.
tryska - yeah.. i bought an olympic barbell set. i did try doing squats but i found that my lower body is much stronger than my upper body so i can't get enough weight off the floor onto my shoulders to give my legs enough of a workout. also after i had done the 8th rep, i had lost the strength to lift the weights over my head and put them back down again. managed to lower them behind me on a pile of junk but it was a close call, i think i'll be buying a squat rack before i try that again.

Check out hack squats:-

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Quadriceps/BBHackSquat.html

Trunks
04-03-2003, 01:11 PM
I'll post some pictures as soon as i fix my crappy scanner. :(

See ya later

RG570
04-04-2003, 07:19 PM
Man all you have to do is eat! I just started woeking out again about 3 weeks ago, gained 11 lbs already and no extra body fat. The key for me was to plan my diet out and count calories. Once I started that I realized I wasnt skinny because of my metabolism, I was skinny because I was underfed. There is alot of great advice to be found on this forum, stick with it. and good luck!

rich
04-09-2003, 04:52 PM
Those hack squats are just the job!! Cheers.

Trunks - I'll look forward to it!

JustinASU
04-09-2003, 07:56 PM
Just curious as to what happened to the pic?