PDA

View Full Version : need help with this keto problem

mic79
04-02-2003, 01:43 PM
ive been doin the keto diet for 5 days now.yet no signs of ketosis.my diet is 140 fat,120 protein and 20 carbs.been stayin clear of sweeteners etc.i was gonna to go on 4 a 2nd week before i have a carb load...but my energy levels r really low now.i know it takes time 4 the "metabolic shift"my qs is do i have 2 get into ketosis 1st 4 this shift or can i expect 2 b able 2 get into keto soon after a carb load?tnx in advance

raniali
04-02-2003, 02:40 PM
---> how do u know you are not in keto?

also if you are not in keto now, why do u think u will be able to quickly shift into keto after a carb load?

CollegeBoy
04-02-2003, 03:22 PM
2 many 2s and 4s replacing words...oh my! :alcoholic

Ironman8
04-02-2003, 06:11 PM
Are you using ketostix?

mic79
04-03-2003, 05:33 AM
i havent reached ketosis in a week.i was wondering if i could load up anywho and still hopeto get into ketosis eventually.theres no trace using ketostix.i was thinkin maybe 2 gallons of water might interfere.also i aint felling sluggish, light headed etc.ive even started 2 alter cal ratios slightly in fav of more fat.anywho tnx 4 the replys.

bradley
04-03-2003, 06:29 AM
Originally posted by mic79
i havent reached ketosis in a week.i was wondering if i could load up anywho and still hopeto get into ketosis eventually.theres no trace using ketostix.i was thinkin maybe 2 gallons of water might interfere.also i aint felling sluggish, light headed etc.ive even started 2 alter cal ratios slightly in fav of more fat.anywho tnx 4 the replys.

Do you have a metallic taste in your mouth? Some people will not have urinary ketones which is what Ketstix represent, but this does not mean that you are not in ketosis. If you are following all the guidelines and keeping a careful eye on trace carbs and artificial sweetners then I would think you would hit ketosis. Just because you are not feeling sluggish or light headed really doesn't indicate anything, as some people can make the transition into ketosis relatively easily.

The carb up is not going to help you get into ketosis. Have you tried doing some moderate intensity cardio? If you are not in ketosis from some reason this would speed up the process.

mic79
04-03-2003, 07:32 AM
im doin weight training& hiit cardio 5 times/week.maybe its hard 2 determine if im in ketosis due 2 the fact i was previously on a low fat diet?either that or the saccharin im my coffee.i just started back on an eca stack also.maybe the eca is just screwing with my mind im talkin ****??cheers anywho guys

raniali
04-03-2003, 10:47 AM
what is the ratio of ur diet: f/p? i have a difficult time believing that you have yet to hit ketosis if you are truly following the CKD guidelines. additionally, what is your daily caloric intake?

bradley
04-03-2003, 11:19 AM
my diet is 140 fat,120 protein and 20 carbs.

Also what is your height/weight?

raniali
04-03-2003, 11:23 AM
bradley is a better reader than i am ;)

mic79
04-03-2003, 12:01 PM
im 23, 6f5 and needing to get to 8% bf from 15%.heres my diet:

meal 1 40g "no added sugar" pb
50g tuna
teaspoon olive oil

meal 2- beef burger
15g cheese

meal 3- 3 eggs
2 teapoons olive oil

meal 4- 4 hot dogs

meal 5- 30g "no added sugar" pb
30g chicken breast

post w.o- fruit cocktail- 30g carbs)
whey -20g protein)

meal 6-beef burger
15g cheese

meal 7-50g "no added sugar" pb
50 tuna

total= fat-130g protein-170 carbs-20g

im on an eca stack and i tend 2 drink alot of decaf/saccharin also.any thaughts?

l

raniali
04-03-2003, 12:42 PM
first - if ur fruit cocktail has 30 g carb, how are u determining that u have 20 g carb for the day? there are also trace carbs in hot dogs, cheese and pnut butter which would likely push upwards towards 45g (or more) carbs a day. (all this besides the fact i would not be eating fruit for post w/o carbs because fructose preferentially fills liver glycogen instead of muscles cells.) if you are strictly following a ckd - there can be no 'real' carbs in this diet...even after training...which is why training must be done within the 2 days after carbup and will suffer.

additionally - how much do you weigh now and what weight are you looking to get to?

Magnus
04-03-2003, 01:02 PM
Raniali is absolutely correct. Just wanted to add that Peanut Butter has A LOT of carbs (Ketogenically speaking). Your diet is the problem. Eat less than 10 carbs a day - and will be in keto. GL

Ironman8
04-03-2003, 04:43 PM
Are you eating bread with that beef burger? If you are, you should know better that bread has lots of carbs.

mic79
04-04-2003, 02:25 AM
i didnt think the pw carbs counted towards daily intake?maybe im wrong.anywho ill cut out the fruit maybe thats the problem.cheersraniali.
the pb only has 11g carbs/100g with 4g being fiber.the hot dogs only have 5g carbs in em not sure bout fiber intake.guess its trial and error all the way from here onwards.tnx anywho again guys.

bradley
04-04-2003, 03:08 AM
Are you performing a CKD or a TKD?

Sounds like you are trying to perform the CKD in which carbs should be kept at around 20g per day during the week, with a 1 or 2 day carb load on the weekends. I would recommend performing a lower/upper body split on Monday and Tuesday and then a depletion workout before you start you carb load. You could also throw in a few moderate intensity cardio sessions in during the week if you wanted but HIIT would probably not be the way to go because of the lack of muscle glycogen.

mic79
04-04-2003, 04:21 AM
yeh well ive been doin hiit cardio 5 times/week and the upper body,lower body depletion thing.ive been reading more regarding ckd.i think i might up the fat intake 4 a few days and do low intensity cardio 2 help get in2 ketosis.i think i mentioned before that before this ckd diet i was only eating small amounts of carbs anywho so maybe thats why its hard 2 determine whetther im in or out of ketosis.cheers

bradley
04-04-2003, 05:47 AM
You are actually eating a lot of carbs for a ketogenic diet. You stated that the hot dogs have 5g of carbs per serving so that puts you at about your limit right there. Add in the carbs from the pb and fruit cocktail and you are well over the limit. I would suspect that this is the reason you are not getting into ketosis.

When you do hit ketosis and your glycogen levels are depleted you will have a hard time doing HIIT. I would say go with a lower body workout on Monday and upper body on Tuesday and then you can do some optional cardio on Wed. and Thursday. Then before your carb up perform a depletion workout.

Shark
04-04-2003, 09:38 AM
From everything I have read, what Bradley is saying here is dead on. You're carb intake is way to high right now to get you into ketosis. You need to drop down to the 10-20 range and then see if anything changes. At that point you should worry about adding fats and moderate cardio if you feel that is necessary but you should be in ketosis then.