PDA

View Full Version : Diet Soda bad for ketosis?

TiGeR AK
04-02-2003, 08:39 PM
does it kick anybody out of ketosis? I read that it does to some people... but i drink it all the time and it SEEMS to be okay.. but now i'm not so sure. I asked this in another thread, but i decided to make a separate one.

Ironman8
04-02-2003, 10:51 PM
As far as I know, it doesn't. The sugar substitutes don't count as carbs.

TiGeR AK
04-03-2003, 02:33 AM
it is said that the citric acid in the diet soda (or regular soda for that matter) can cause some people to go out of ketosis.

I duno if anybody had experience with that, cuz i need to have some flavored drinks or else i would die while CKD'ing it.

bradley
04-03-2003, 02:38 AM
According to Lyle McDonald the problem comes from either citric acid or aspartame that is contained in most sodas. He goes on to say that citric acid might inhibit an individual from entering ketosis because of the affect that citric acid has on liver metabolism, more specifically the Kreb's Cycle.

Some people state that once in ketosis a diet soda will not kick them out, but they must first establish ketosis before beginning to drink diet soda. Diet soda has also been shown to increase appetite in some people.

The best thing to do is just see how your body reacts because what is true for one person is not true for another.