PDA

View Full Version : dextrose question

GhettoSmurf
04-03-2003, 07:10 AM
I've been taking just whey in water P/W, but I want to start adding some dextrose in the shake. The only problem is that im worried that the dextrose might get stored as FAT, and end up hurting more then helping. Should i worry about the dextrose turning into fat? Or should I just be sure to use just enough to spike insulin and not go overboard with the stuff, and if i can do that will the chance of me gaining a lot of fat from it be minimal?

(sorry if this is a dumb question)

Ironman8
04-03-2003, 07:19 AM
Just don't go overboard with it. The best time to take it is post workout. You carb stores will be more open to carb intake, so you should take something with a high GI.

carolinagirl
04-03-2003, 09:18 AM
Ironman is actually right about that. It would be very unlikely for PWO dextrose to be stored as fat (unless you are taking in some UNGODLY amount.)

After a workout your body wants to do two things: refill the depleted glycogen stores and repair the damaged muscles. The glycogen storage is the body's first priority, so if you take in protein alone it will be converted to fuel instead of to amino acids for repair and growth. If you take in carbs as well, your body will preferentially use those for the glycogen storage and the protein has a much better chance of being used for muscle tissue repair.

They should be high GI carbs because: a) the carbs will be available more quickly where they are needed (high GI carbs are converted very easily into glucose), and b) the resulting insulin spike will lower cortisol levels.

So don't worry about it! ;)

GhettoSmurf
04-03-2003, 11:33 AM
alright. thanks a lot guys. that makes me feel a lot better about taking it.

btw, since we are on the subject of dextrose, what online-site (if any) do you think has the best prices for dextrose?

also, how do i know how much i should take P/W?

Isaac Wilkins
04-03-2003, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by GhettoSmurf
alright. thanks a lot guys. that makes me feel a lot better about taking it.

btw, since we are on the subject of dextrose, what online-site (if any) do you think has the best prices for dextrose?

also, how do i know how much i should take P/W?

There are plenty of sites, but dextrose is hella cheap. Look into wine making/brewing stores. They'll have it. I pay $0.79/pound.

bradley
04-03-2003, 11:43 AM
I have seen it recommend to take in .6-1g per kg of bw. I usually go with about 60g postworkout.

GhettoSmurf
04-03-2003, 12:08 PM
all-right, ill definatly have a look around for it. thanks!

pusher
04-07-2003, 07:06 PM
Bradley:

Maybe I'm measuring wrong, but I add about 1/4 cup dextrose, and my shake tastes SWEET!!

How does 60g taste?

bradley
04-08-2003, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by pusher
Bradley:

Maybe I'm measuring wrong, but I add about 1/4 cup dextrose, and my shake tastes SWEET!!

How does 60g taste?

It is a sugar so, yeah it will be pretty sweet. Adding more water might help dilute it down a bit.