PDA

View Full Version : HST Experiment



Maki Riddington
04-03-2003, 08:31 PM
Ok so this is what I have so far for the first week of 15s. We went through our first session last night where I pretty much got all of his 15 rep max lifts.

His exercise selection is this:

Squat
Bench Press (flat)
Close Grip Lat Pull Down
Standing Hamstring Curl
Seated Lateral Machine Raise
Barbell Bent Rows
Seated Calf Raise
Tricep Cable Pressdowns
Dumbell Bicep Wall Curl
Dumbell Shrugs
Leg Press

He's getting his bodyfat test done this Sunday with me and I'll post his starting weight and bf. I'm working on his nutrition slowly. Generally I start with breakfast and work my way up to dinner slowly changing what my clients eat. I give them a list of foods for each meal group and then tell them that there must always be a 2:1 ratio between protein and carbs.

Other then that I don't know what else there is to tell.
Any questions or comments please feel free to post here so everyone including myself can learn. :)

Blood&Iron
04-03-2003, 08:40 PM
Read the FAQ section of the HST forums. It has basically all the stuff Bryan's said on any number of aspects (The posts are from Blade, but they are actually Bryan's words) It should answer almost any question you have, and will undoubtedly give you some new ideas.

Suggestions right off the bat:
Don't do squats at every session. Haycock and a few others tried to ward me off from doing that, and I didn't listen. After the 15's were done, I'd learned my lesson. I'd alternate squatting and leg pressing, rather than doing both at every session. I'd also think about dropping a few exercises as you've got a bit too many for my taste.

I don't like your exercise order either, but obviously that's more of a personal preference thing. What's your reasoning behind it?

Make sure you're guy is eating a sufficient amount of carbs during the 15's. You need them for adequate lactic acid production.

Also, I know it won't appeal to him (or you since you won't see him for a week), but after you finish testing his maxes make sure he does SD (9-12 days off) It's vital.

Maki Riddington
04-03-2003, 10:09 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Blood&Iron
[B]Read the FAQ section of the HST forums. It has basically all the stuff Bryan's said on any number of aspects (The posts are from Blade, but they are actually Bryan's words) It should answer almost any question you have, and will undoubtedly give you some new ideas.

*** In the process of doing this.

Suggestions right off the bat:
Don't do squats at every session. Haycock and a few others tried to ward me off from doing that, and I didn't listen. After the 15's were done, I'd learned my lesson. I'd alternate squatting and leg pressing, rather than doing both at every session.

*** This is what I've planned. Leg press and squat alternated.

I'd also think about dropping a few exercises as you've got a bit too many for my taste.

*** That's because they will be switched at each session. in other words, I may do a bicep dumbell curl one day and a barbell curl on another day.

I don't like your exercise order either, but obviously that's more of a personal preference thing. What's your reasoning behind it?

*** It's not in order, I just listed it that way. I guess there will be a another post being made so I can clear up some things.

Make sure you're guy is eating a sufficient amount of carbs during the 15's. You need them for adequate lactic acid production.

*** Yup, he'll be sipping on some gatorade during his workout. Once his eating is in order I'll be incorperating a pre and post workout shake.

Also, I know it won't appeal to him (or you since you won't see him for a week), but after you finish testing his maxes make sure he does SD (9-12 days off) It's vital.

*** Yup, that'll be thrown in as well.

Thanks for the input. Once I finish reading the archives I'll post again.

Magnus
04-03-2003, 11:30 PM
Don't forget abs Maki. They are kind of superfluous and totally person preference but they work big time in hst! There is nothing like doing a 5RM with some serious weight for your abs. :)

Maki Riddington
04-07-2003, 08:34 AM
Well, I wanted to give him a SD week but it was useless to explain it to him. I figured he was pretty gung ho about the whole things so I skipped it. Maybe not the best idea but I will see how much it hurts him as I'm going to try to do 2 cycles of this program.

Exercise selection is as:

Squat
Seated Lateral Machine Raise

Bench Press (flat)
Close Grip Lat Pull Down

Standing Hamstring Curl
Seated Calf Raise

Tricep Cable Pressdowns
Dumbell Bicep Wall Curl

Dumbell Shrugs
Cable Crunch

The two exercises paired together are paired because I alternate between them. However, the last session I found that even with my calculations he still didn't have enough gas to get two sets down for each exercise. So I had him do 1 set for most of the exercises with 60 seconds rest inbetween. The gatorade he sipped on throughout his workout helped him imo as he had just finished breakfast an hour prior to arriving. It was mainly a protein based meal with some carbs.

His squats are lagging as he can only squat the bar for 15 reps. Now, I'm not too worried about this because he's starting back into things so his strength shoud return fairly quickly.

He missed his Sunday sesion because he forgot to change his clock forward an hour so we meet again tonight. I actually figured this would be a good idea as he'd get an extra day in to recouperate.

heathj
04-07-2003, 01:52 PM
Ready to lose fatty?

Maki Riddington
04-07-2003, 05:13 PM
Wrong journal skinny.:mad:

Blood&Iron
04-15-2003, 08:26 PM
What the hell happened here?

You kill him with your personal training advice?

Maki Riddington
04-15-2003, 09:05 PM
Ok, so I've now moved onto the 10's.

The 15's improved towards the last session but he has a real weak bench press and his biceps are weak as well. They are the only exercise which he happened to fail at even though he wasn't supposed to. I count failure if he didn't reach the designated number of reps (which in this case was 15).

It seems that he has already increased his appearance in size. Mainly in the delt and upper arm region.

MonStar
04-15-2003, 09:46 PM
Good luck with HST Maki, I am sure youll have good results with it.

Hows the glucophage coming along?

Maki Riddington
04-15-2003, 10:54 PM
Oh ya, I've also rotated his exercises so that he doesn't do the same order everytime. This way if I find that one exercise is falling behind I can bring it up to par with the rest of his lifts in terms of progress. So if he failed on biceps one session it becomes first on the next session and makes the lift.

I've also used one set for some sessions and two sets for others depending on how he's feeling. In other words, on session 3 I made him do one set for each muscle group. Then on session 4 I made him do 2 sets since he was fully recovered and rested.

It's exam time for him.

bradley
04-16-2003, 05:30 AM
Is your client new to training? Will HST be the first structured routine that he has ever followed?

Maki Riddington
04-16-2003, 05:29 PM
No it's not, but it's his first program coming back from a year long hiatus.

Blood&Iron
04-16-2003, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by Maki Riddington
Ok, so I've now moved onto the 10's.

The 15's improved towards the last session but he has a real weak bench press and his biceps are weak as well. They are the only exercise which he happened to fail at even though he wasn't supposed to. I count failure if he didn't reach the designated number of reps (which in this case was 15).

It seems that he has already increased his appearance in size. Mainly in the delt and upper arm region.
I don't understand how he failed to hit 15 reps if you tested his maxes previously. I've NEVER had that happen if I tested my maxes beforehand. And I've done several cycles of HST while dieting.

Can you give more specifics of his diet/training?

EDIT: I forgot. Maybe it has something to do with skipping SD.

Maki Riddington
04-16-2003, 06:40 PM
I tested his maxes on the bench press and was suprised when he failed on it. I had him start with a load that was 12.5 pounds lighter than his max. I think that we will be switching to dumbbells next cycle. He has long arms which makes it hard for him to hit his chest properly and when I've fatigued his shoulders triceps and lats before the bench I think that it plays a role in making or breaking his lift. So, I have to be very careful to always make sure that the exercise selection is dead on, otherwise I'll mess things up as I've done with his bench press.

For his biceps it was because I placed them last in the exercise order on the last session of his 15's. If he had done them first when he was freshest he wouldn't have failed.

Blood&Iron
04-16-2003, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by Maki Riddington
I tested his maxes on the bench press and was suprised when he failed on it. I had him start with a load that was 12.5 pounds lighter than his max. I think that we will be switching to dumbbells next cycle. He has long arms which makes it hard for him to hit his chest properly and when I've fatigued his shoulders triceps and lats before the bench I think that it plays a role in making or breaking his lift. So, I have to be very careful to always make sure that the exercise selection is dead on, otherwise I'll mess things up as I've done with his bench press.

For his biceps it was because I placed them last in the exercise order on the last session of his 15's. If he had done them first when he was freshest he wouldn't have failed.
I'm still confused.

Am I understanding correctly that you tested his maxes in a different order than you actually performed them during his workout? (Obviously, this would mess things up.)

Magnus
04-16-2003, 08:17 PM
AND why would you have him start with biceps or any other small group???? No wonder he failed chest if he did tris and shoulders first...You gotta tweak this.

Maki Riddington
04-16-2003, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by Blood&Iron

I'm still confused.

Am I understanding correctly that you tested his maxes in a different order than you actually performed them during his workout? (Obviously, this would mess things up.)

*** Yes and no.

I started off with the order I tested his maxes in but I found that by the time we got to a small muscle group like the biceps he was overall way too tiered. So what he should have been able to do then became far to difficult because of fatigue. To counter act this I started switching the order around so all the muscle groups progressed. In some sessions I only did one set while others I had him do two while moving the order around to ensure his progression of weights moved along. Now I'm having him do the 10's and so far he's fine. He's been moving up roughly 5 pounds every workout except for his bench press.

You also have to keep in mind that I'm slowly tweaking his eating as he progresses and he's been skimping on his sleep as of late since it's exam time. I don't expect drastic changes in regards to his diet right away, however come the second cycle I should have him in line so that everything flows smoothly.

Does that make more sense. I know I should have probably followed everything to the dot, but I find that so boring. I figured since we're doing two cycles that this first one would be a partial experimentation to see where his weaknesses lie.

Blood&Iron
04-16-2003, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by Maki Riddington


*** Yes and no.

I started off with the order I tested his maxes in but I found that by the time we got to a small muscle group like the biceps he was overall way too tiered. So what he should have been able to do then became far to difficult because of fatigue. To counter act this I started switching the order around so all the muscle groups progressed. In some sessions I only did one set while others I had him do two while moving the order around to ensure his progression of weights moved along. Now I'm having him do the 10's and so far he's fine. He's been moving up roughly 5 pounds every workout except for his bench press.

If fatigue's too much of a factor, I say drop exercises. Particularly on the first cycle I'd just keep things simple. Maybe:

Sumo deadlift
Dip
Chin
DB Overhead Press
Incline DB Curls
Weighted Crunch
Calf Raise

1 set of each (Maybe more during the 5's)



You also have to keep in mind that I'm slowly tweaking his eating as he progresses and he's been skimping on his sleep as of late since it's exam time. I don't expect drastic changes in regards to his diet right away, however come the second cycle I should have him in line so that everything flows smoothly.

Does that make more sense. I know I should have probably followed everything to the dot, but I find that so boring. I figured since we're doing two cycles that this first one would be a partial experimentation to see where his weaknesses lie.
Again, I think the first cycle should be done 'by the book.' There's good reasons for most of Haycock's suggestions. Once you see how you react to the 'baseline' routine, that's when you start tweaking.