PDA

View Full Version : I don't understand

Blight
04-04-2003, 09:49 AM
I don't understand how I could not be gaining muscle or losing fat. I've been lifting three to four days per week, with cardio every other day and the weekends (or at least two days during the week) off. I thought it might be my diet, but I get around 120 grams of protein a day (I weigh about 120) and I eat cleanly. Oatmeal in the morning, a can a tuna for lunch, chicken or fish or lean ground turkey with some veggies or rice at night, along with some all fruit trail mix w/ extra almonds for snacks. Some times I substitute and apple or a slice of wheat bread with natural PB for the trail mix. I really don't understand why I'm not losing weight. I honestly think if I cut anymore out of my diet, I'll pretty much not be eating at all, which will lead to the loss of what little muscle I have. Somebody please help me! I'm desperate to lose these ****ing love handles that I've had for so long!:mad: :mad:

Xg74
04-04-2003, 10:05 AM
Your not eating nearly enough, and your working out too much. If you want to gain muscle, then drop the cardio down a bit, and try working each muscle once per week to failure. And eat everything in sight. If it moves, eat it, if it doesn't move, eat it, if it stares at you funny, kill it then eat it. ;)

Xg74
04-04-2003, 10:10 AM
Just saw that you want to lose weight. Try a CKD diet, they work pretty damn well.

Here (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22606) is an old thread about it. And they say there is an article on the main sight, so check them out! ;)

AJ_11
04-04-2003, 10:12 AM
Do you track your cals, Are you consistent in training and diet?

The weight won't just melt off either you have to keep at it. It will disappear. Just won't be tommorro.

raniali
04-04-2003, 11:20 AM
i think Xg is right - your cals may be a little too low (as contradictory as that sounds). if you drop too far below maintenance, your metabolism basically shuts down making any fat loss virtually impossible. i might also add a little more good fats seeing that you are on the low side of that as well. i modified a friend's diet by adding more EFA's and he came back and told me that his body is a raging furnace now and is forced to sleep on the couch cuz his wife doesn't like the sweat.

aka23
04-04-2003, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Blight
I don't understand how I could not be gaining muscle or losing fat. I've been lifting three to four days per week, with cardio every other day and the weekends (or at least two days during the week) off. I thought it might be my diet, but I get around 120 grams of protein a day (I weigh about 120) and I eat cleanly. Oatmeal in the morning, a can a tuna for lunch, chicken or fish or lean ground turkey with some veggies or rice at night, along with some all fruit trail mix w/ extra almonds for snacks. Some times I substitute and apple or a slice of wheat bread with natural PB for the trail mix. I really don't understand why I'm not losing weight. I honestly think if I cut anymore out of my diet, I'll pretty much not be eating at all, which will lead to the loss of what little muscle I have. Somebody please help me! I'm desperate to lose these ****ing love handles that I've had for so long!:mad: :mad:

Are you only eating the items listed above? If you are eating typical serving sizes, such a diet would likely have under 1100 calories and under your listed 120g protein. This little calories sounds low for a person who is working out as often as you are. Such a diet would not meet the RDA for most vitamins and minerals. It would likely not have signficant amounts of calcium, vitamin a, folate, and vitamin c.

Are your goals to increase muscle and lose fat? I am suprised that you have a lot of fat to lose at only 120lb. Perhaps your very low calorie diet has resulted in burning muscle for energy. This might explain your low weight (assuming you are a male of regular height), your low metabolism, and your difficulty in gaining muscle. A low calorie diet might also result in you burning calories more effciently, which also lowers your basal metabolism.

You might be eating too little or overtraining, but more information is needed. I would like to know more information about your diet, workout schedule, and history. What is your sex and height? Have you done low calorie diets in the past? For how long have you been working out and dieting? Do you know your body fat %? Do you know how many calories you eat in a day? Is a macronutrient breakdown available? How long are your workouts? What type of split do you have? What type of cardio are you doing for how long?

Ironman8
04-04-2003, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Blight
I get around 120 grams of protein a day (I weigh about 120)

Your weight is 120Lbs.? I don't understand how you could have love handles.

Vido
04-04-2003, 04:23 PM
To be honest it doesn't sound like you are achieving that 120 g of protein you claim to be. It's tough to give advice in your situation, other than to ease off the cardio a little bit, because you need to state whether you want to cut or bulk. You've indicated that you want to lose the love handles, but you also said you can't believe you're not gaining muscle. You have to choose one or the other, but either way you need to increase the number of meals you are eating everyday. If you are bulking, then clearly each meal will be bigger than if you are cutting.

MrWebb78
04-04-2003, 10:01 PM
youre 120 lbs and want to lose weight? bulk up man!